Forester XT or STI

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
i'd venture to say the newer ones are harder to find in MT. But I'm sure over time you'll find one... just be prepared to make a trek to pick one up. The 07-08 is definitely more refined but i personally prefer the older body style b/c its just unique and definitely can't mistake it for another vehicle.

My local mechanic just finished doing a 5 spd swap on a 04 forester and I asked him how much it was going to cost for just labor and i was knocked back a few. Try your luck in southern california... they have more subarus there for sale than we do here in the bay area.

As far as smog goes you don't have to worry much about passing visual. They can't see the up pipe and normally will easily overlook the turbo unless its super obvious b/c its all polished up. They will overlook the TMIC. The only problem people have is with the downpipe if at all. If you find yourself in a tough spot and u don't want to risk failing smog, let me know and i'll set you up.

Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
NO KIDDING! They are a diamond in the ruff. Its okay thought because i have to get the house first so i have some time to find one. Still trying to decide if i want an 04 or 07-08. Really like the 07-08 body style but like the easy swap of the 04.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Thanx guys. Speaking of hard to find, I had to drive to So-Cal to pick mine up, so you're right on the ball with that remark

Originally Posted by david240z
its all for fun =) Lets do it. Im very interested in your forester mods. Is it in your garage? Where you from? i'm located in san jose. Friendly competition nothing more than that... plus an opportunity to hang out and talk cars w/ another enthusiast.
Its a daily driver.
I'm running it on pump gas for the winter since I plan to take a bunch of long snow trips and don't want to be stuck without a corn pump.
Its very basic: 20g, and supporting mods..
I'm in Sacramento.
You guys have a drag strip up in San Jose or were you planning on a twisties run?
Im never against friendly competition or getting together to talk cars with fellow enthusiasts...

Lastly OP, if you have free time check out subaruforester.org
Probably one of the most friendly sites you can find and really helpful.

Last edited by Vladi; 11-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
I just stumbled upon that site, tons of great information. Thanks!

So my next questions for you guys is (and i know its just opinions) but what do you guys think, 04-05? Or 07-08?

My opinion:
- I like the body style of the 07-08 a little more, especially the STI body paneling
- The 04 pricing is a lot nicer then the 07-08
- The interior on the 05 is pretty nice too but still like the 07-08
- 04 is nice because you can use an 04 STI ECU
- 07-08 might possibly still have a warranty on it (which my modification desires would void)

Me personally think i want to go with a 07-08, i just love the look of them. With the deep front bumper, the front lip, and the way the fender lines flow. I also loved my 05 interior and the 07-08 interior is similar just a little more updated. I feel like the 04-05 looks a little more like a car still and in 07-08 they really moved more towards an SUV type look.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx love-wagon
oh man this thread turned into a peepee size competition lol

all the op asked is forester or sti

fun thread!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by alien_refugee
oh man this thread turned into a peepee size competition lol

all the op asked is forester or sti

fun thread!
Haha its all friendly competition.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

I just stumbled upon that site, tons of great information. Thanks!

So my next questions for you guys is (and i know its just opinions) but what do you guys think, 04-05? Or 07-08?

My opinion:
- I like the body style of the 07-08 a little more, especially the STI body paneling
- The 04 pricing is a lot nicer then the 07-08
- The interior on the 05 is pretty nice too but still like the 07-08
- 04 is nice because you can use an 04 STI ECU
- 07-08 might possibly still have a warranty on it (which my modification desires would void)

Me personally think i want to go with a 07-08, i just love the look of them. With the deep front bumper, the front lip, and the way the fender lines flow. I also loved my 05 interior and the 07-08 interior is similar just a little more updated. I feel like the 04-05 looks a little more like a car still and in 07-08 they really moved more towards an SUV type look.
Couple other things the 07-08's have is catless uppipe, higher compression, bigger wheels and a few other things.
When I started looking for one I actually wanted an 03-05 at 1st. Only got my current one because I got lucky, I didn't even think I'd find one like this.

Honestly I'd say get whichever you find a great deal on. Except 09+. I dont like those because none of them come in manual, and all are super heavy. Though they are quite a bit more comfortable and refined then their older brethren.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by VladiWrX
Couple other things the 07-08's have is catless uppipe, higher compression, bigger wheels and a few other things.
When I started looking for one I actually wanted an 03-05 at 1st. Only got my current one because I got lucky, I didn't even think I'd find one like this.

Honestly I'd say get whichever you find a great deal on. Except 09+. I dont like those because none of them come in manual, and all are super heavy. Though they are quite a bit more comfortable and refined then their older brethren.
+1

I helped my buddy pick up an XT earlier this year... not easy to find as you know... all the people that I know that have them (only a handful) once they get them never let them go =) They are out there, u just need to do the hard work to find them. Go out and get it boss! Get some close buddies help you look and I'm sure you'll come up on one within a year... you have time like you said w/ the whole house situation and all. I'll talk to a coworker of mine who's wife has one its super clean and last I heard they were looking to get something "bigger"... their loss your gain if something pans out I'll send u a PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I found two 08's in Oregon, one in Kfalls and one in Medford both 5 speed 08's.

Ran this by the wife last night as we are looking for a family car for me she not only said no but HELL NO!!!! lol

Im supposed to get a new silverado 4 door put it on 24" and bag it to lay frame immeadiately after buying it so i guess no big loss. At least I will have somthing to tow the subie to and from the track in....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Ooo i like the catless up-pipe, one less thing i have to worry about changing then passing smog and visual.

Yeah i couldnt believe none of the 09s didnt come in manual and honestly i really dont like the body style change. I mean it really looks like its "catagory," it really looks like a cross over SUV style.

Originally Posted by david240z
+1

I helped my buddy pick up an XT earlier this year... not easy to find as you know... all the people that I know that have them (only a handful) once they get them never let them go =) They are out there, u just need to do the hard work to find them. Go out and get it boss! Get some close buddies help you look and I'm sure you'll come up on one within a year... you have time like you said w/ the whole house situation and all. I'll talk to a coworker of mine who's wife has one its super clean and last I heard they were looking to get something "bigger"... their loss your gain if something pans out I'll send u a PM.
Yeah very few people are selling their Foresters. I have been looking around for fun and have found very few. I have only found one that has the "STI Package" that came from the factory.

Let me know if they are selling! I would definitely be interested.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 PM

**UPDATE 11/7/11**
Well after all that.....i want another STI! I found my old build thread for my 05 STI and well...simply put, i fell in love all over again. I think i want to go with an 07 STI or an 08 STI. Reason being is i want a newer STI that will have fewer miles and possibly still fall under the warranty (even though (if the previous owner hasnt already) i will probably void the warranty with mods.

My decision making now is if i want the 07 sedan hawkeye or if i want the 08 hatch/wagon. I have never been a fan of the wagon STIs but the interior is so nice in the 08s. Also it has some of the newer bells and whistles. Also the wagon would give me the same benefits as the Forester while keeping the STI drivetrain and power. But again i love the sedans and love the idea of a CGM or SGM 07 STI.

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM

07 - watch out for engine health: they tend to have terrible mapping stock and are known for known for more frequent engine failures than the other years.
08+ - noticeably heavier than the previous years, and pretty expensive. More practical though.

Unless you're going for big power though, I just don't see what's so cool about the STi: an 09+ wrx can be had cheaper and 300whp is only 3 simple mods away.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
My vote is for a Forester, but if you still have your mind set on a 07 or 08 I'd say go with the Wagon 08, but if you want the hawkeye its better off to go with the 06 instead.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Originally Posted by tourexy
My vote is for a Forester, but if you still have your mind set on a 07 or 08 I'd say go with the Wagon 08, but if you want the hawkeye its better off to go with the 06 instead.
^Yup 06 STi FTMFW baby!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
**UPDATE 11/7/11**
Well after all that.....i want another STI! I found my old build thread for my 05 STI and well...simply put, i fell in love all over again. I think i want to go with an 07 STI or an 08 STI. Reason being is i want a newer STI that will have fewer miles and possibly still fall under the warranty (even though (if the previous owner hasnt already) i will probably void the warranty with mods.

My decision making now is if i want the 07 sedan hawkeye or if i want the 08 hatch/wagon. I have never been a fan of the wagon STIs but the interior is so nice in the 08s. Also it has some of the newer bells and whistles. Also the wagon would give me the same benefits as the Forester while keeping the STI drivetrain and power. But again i love the sedans and love the idea of a CGM or SGM 07 STI.

Thoughts?
THOUGHTS?

Ok flame on but

GET AN EVO!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 PM

07 - watch out for engine health: they tend to have terrible mapping stock and are known for known for more frequent engine failures than the other years.
08+ - noticeably heavier than the previous years, and pretty expensive. More practical though.

Unless you're going for big power though, I just don't see what's so cool about the STi: an 09+ wrx can be had cheaper and 300whp is only 3 simple mods away.
Yeah the engine in the 07 is a worry for me. The only reason why i would consider an 07 is only for the fact that its a bit newer and potentially lower mileage. But i think it would be a better idea to get an 06 with a little more mileage so i know that i have a reliable and strong motor.

I have pretty much decided that i want a sedan, so i am looking at 05, 06, or 2011. I just cant learn to love the wagon STIs. I like the idea of getting the 11 STI because its newer, will be lower mileage, and will have a warranty. Might be smarter to invest in a new car with a warranty and leave it stock since i will be a new home owner and cant exactly afford to be buying mods and paying to fix broken things on a higher mileage subi.

Yeah the new 09+ WRXs are very nice and with the same STI body panelings they are not much different. If i remember right, because of their 5 speed tranny, they are actually faster 0-60. Simply put thought its still "not an STI" which is why i would still want the STI.

Originally Posted by tourexy
Yeah the Forester is still on my radar but i really think i want an STI, i just miss my 05. The wagon STIs are truely the best of both worlds and a good compromise but i just cant get used to the looks, just cant learn to like them. I will definitely go with an 06 STI if i do go with a hawkeye.

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
THOUGHTS?

Ok flame on but

GET AN EVO!!!!!!
I dont like the look of the new EVOs and the interiors are god awful. The IX MRs are bad *** but again the interiors are just horrible.

Quick Reply: Forester XT or STI