Forester XT or STI

Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 1969 Camaro RS & 2004 STI
Why not a Legacy? has a bit more room than an sti, and looks just as good!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Do this

Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Originally Posted by magnum3zx
Are you talking about the legacy wagon?
Cause the sedans are about same size.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
either a forester into an STI so you have the power or an STI, you can never get enough of the raw STI power or just get the STI
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
bah

Last edited by Hoofus; 11-02-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: stupid question
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Haha i think my vote is going to be as well.

Question for you guys. I think i know the answer but i thought id ask.

I want to put the STI Intercooler, catless uppipe, intake manifold, VF39, and a walbro fuel pump on it. What do you think CA emission SMOG people would think about this? I mean they are technically OEM parts so is it illegal? I assume the uppipe will be illegal because although its OEM it is eliminating the cat on the Forester. But the intercooler and intake manifold i would thing would be SMOG legal and legal to the cops. What do you guys think?
OEM or not if it didn't come with the car from the factory and is not a "replacement part" or does not have a CARB EO# it's not legal for emmissions related items.

The car as a whole is certified to be compliant. Aftermarket parts (even if mfg by the same company that made the car) must be certified via an exemption that states the emissions aren't negatively affected by the installation of such a part.

Now, that doesn't mean you won't be able to fool the smog tech into passing you visually.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Because Family Car

Car Info: car
I looked at pre-'09 style Foresters and really liked them. I previously owned an 04 STi, then picked up a G35 sedan, only to realize that my love was still with Subaru. I got an amazing deal on a Satin white '09 FXT and the space in it is incredible. The stance is perfect as well. Although it's not even close to an STi, there are still ways to up the power of course. This time around, I chose functionality over anything else. Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by VladiWrX
I can come down there in one of my other cars and show you a thing or two as well, trust me
That's not the point though, this isn't a pissing contest: the point is, with all sti bolt ons, 20g, and e85 this thing is pretty darn quick. Its really easy to make a forester quick, in fact the 04's even have the same block and wiring as the STi, and you could literally drop in the vf turbo, tmic, and plug in the STi ecu and have an STi (minus the 6 speed and brakes).

Mod for mod they are pretty similar once you go past stock turbos. Heck, even their curb weight is almost identical.
LOL dont do it Vlad... youll embarass him...

my vote is get a FORESTER...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Great

Now I want one too.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I have exactly one of the cars you're considering:
2008 Forester XT Sport 5mt in World Rally Blue. Pictures of it are in the "Subaru Gallery" thread.
That thing is beautiful!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
Interesting thread.
I have exactly one of the cars you're considering:
2008 Forester XT Sport 5mt in World Rally Blue. Pictures of it are in the "Subaru Gallery" thread.
It has all the STi bolt ons and a few choice power mods.
Haven't run into any STi's that are quicker yet. Straight line or turns
And the practicality of it is a no-brainer. I've transported everything from car bumpers to motorcycle body panels in it with room to spare.
**NM Found the pictures. So sexy!**

If you are ever in the Folsom/Sacramento area, let me know id love to check it out!

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
On the smog note. You should be fine, but it depends on where you go. Most techs dont know what they are looking at when it comes t oour cars. I just passed with a catless up pipe large top mount, they didnt even look at my dp.
What smog shop did you use??? Haha

For the TMIC I was thinking going aftermarket. To most people they see big red letters on an intercooler and they automatically think aftermarket. If I get an aftermarket it wont say anything so I think it will look more stock and it will be more efficient.

I am not worried about the VF39 because it will still smog as it comes on the STI, it looks like a TD04, and it will be covered up by the stock heat shield so you wont be able to see it anyway.

For the up-pipe, I was thinking of having a stock up-pipe cutted and ported/polished so it still looks stock but works just like a catless pipe. Only worry would be if it would still pass smog, but it would pass visual.

Mod for mod they are pretty similar once you go past stock turbos. Heck, even their curb weight is almost identical.
You are right, the article I put in my OP explains how an 04 Forester is pretty much an 04 STI on stilts with a hatch. You can swap on all 04STI parts and even use an 04 STI ECU. My plan is to get a 07-08 and use the stock ECU and just use an AP and have Paul at DB Tuned give me a custom tune.

Originally Posted by magnum3zx
If I got the sedan, I mind as well get the STI. It defeats the purpose of getting a “utility” vehicle. If I got the wagon, I rather get the forester because of the drivetrain and motor. Plus I don’t like the legacy wagons.

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
Do this (2012 Forester XTI Video)
That thing is a beast. HATE the paint job they did on that one but man is that cool. WAY to out of my price range. About to buy a house so my budget is light haha.

Originally Posted by Double Phister
OEM or not if it didn't come with the car from the factory and is not a "replacement part" or does not have a CARB EO# it's not legal for emmissions related items.

The car as a whole is certified to be compliant. Aftermarket parts (even if mfg by the same company that made the car) must be certified via an exemption that states the emissions aren't negatively affected by the installation of such a part.

Now, that doesn't mean you won't be able to fool the smog tech into passing you visually.
Yeah I did some research last night at work and found exactly what you are explaining. What I was still a bit confused on is if you can get a BAR certification for individual parts or if it had to be an entire engine swap.

Originally Posted by jdmdaddy
I looked at pre-'09 style Foresters and really liked them. I previously owned an 04 STi, then picked up a G35 sedan, only to realize that my love was still with Subaru. I got an amazing deal on a Satin white '09 FXT and the space in it is incredible. The stance is perfect as well. Although it's not even close to an STi, there are still ways to up the power of course. This time around, I chose functionality over anything else. Good luck with your choice.
You sound like me. I had an 05 STI, bought a Lotus Exige, then a Jeep Cherokee, and now I miss my Subaru! I would love to get a new Forester but I don’t want to get another car loan ontop of the mortgage, rather pay cash and own out right which is why im looking into a older forester. But damn are the new Foresters plush on the inside.

Last edited by 1FSTREX; 11-02-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM

SO SEXY! Hope you guys dont mind, its inspiration.

Originally Posted by kidatari
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM

its all for fun =) Lets do it. Im very interested in your forester mods. Is it in your garage? Where you from? i'm located in san jose. Friendly competition nothing more than that... plus an opportunity to hang out and talk cars w/ another enthusiast.

I can come down there in one of my other cars and show you a thing or two as well, trust me
That's not the point though, this isn't a pissing contest: the point is, with all sti bolt ons, 20g, and e85 this thing is pretty darn quick. Its really easy to make a forester quick, in fact the 04's even have the same block and wiring as the STi, and you could literally drop in the vf turbo, tmic, and plug in the STi ecu and have an STi (minus the 6 speed and brakes).

Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Still vote the forester IMO for what you are doing as far as outdoor activities go... especially if you are coming off a vehicle like a jeep. Either way you win as both vehicles are great... but best of luck finding the forester XT in a manual transmission =(
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by david240z
Still vote the forester IMO for what you are doing as far as outdoor activities go... especially if you are coming off a vehicle like a jeep. Either way you win as both vehicles are great... but best of luck finding the forester XT in a manual transmission =(
NO KIDDING! They are a diamond in the ruff. Its okay thought because i have to get the house first so i have some time to find one. Still trying to decide if i want an 04 or 07-08. Really like the 07-08 body style but like the easy swap of the 04.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forester XT or STI