Extend the Warranty or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Question Extend the Warranty or no?

Ok, so my car, that by now you all are sick of hearing about (considering I don't even have it in my possession yet.), has 35k miles and change. This is a critical juncture as I understand it. To extend the factory warranty from Subaru it has to still have some remaining warranty left, which mine does. Barely. So, should I cough up the 1100 bucks to extend until 80k miles? or blow it on some cool mod for the car?:-P I am not sure how capable I will be with working on this car. I am capable of doing alot on my own, I have replaced the 350 in my 67 chevy myself, I have replaced the heads on my 88 toyota myself, I even did the timing belt on a 4G63 Eclipse that I owned :-P. So, I have a little mechanical knowledge, and a great set of tools. With a shop manual, and a little time is anything too hard on the Suby? or are there lots of specialized tools?
From the dealership that I talked to near my parents house, Shasta Nissan Subaru, they seemed really cool. I asked them about mods voiding the warranty, and the guy was "PSHHH, have you seen what our boss drives to work everyday? He has a 700HP STI. When something breaks on that he still gets warranty work done."
(duh, he owns the place) but anyhow, he said that they overlook most mods, unless they can tell that it was done really shoddy. He said as long as you come in, and don't start demanding, and are cool with them. They will hook you up.

I don't plan on modding too much, probably just a Cobb AP, scooby exhaust, maybe uppipe if I can get away with it with smog and all, wheels, swaybar, maybe some stoptech slotted rotors... not too much....

oh and tangent. Are Turbo Timers worth it? or more precisely are they worth it at this stage for me?

Thanks!

Jon
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If that's all the engine mods you plan to do, you might do well to extend the warranty, lthough if you shop around you should be able to get a 100k warranty for less than $1100. Tell the dealer they don't need to mark it up 40%.

Turbo timers are neat toys or peace of mind. There is absolutely NO danger of blowing your motor or turbo due to coking your oil without one, but it won't hurt anything.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 PM

haha, thanks. I really have no clue what cost should be on something like that. The dealer tried telling me that was "only" 200$ over his cost....which I was like....hrmm, that is still a pretty good markup! :-P
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
ask a few subaru dealers in the area how much their extended warranties are...often the price may differ depending on how the car's condition is...whether it has more miles therefore increasing the likelyhood of a mechanical failure to occur....see what the warranty has to offer..power train, engine, electrical, etc...just dont be like bastard KIA owners with their "all mighty" 100k factory warranty and take it in for a paint chip and a low air pressure tire demanding new tires and a new paint job (i have a few friends that work at a kia/chrysler dealer and they get those jagoffs ALOT )
also check how much their deductibles are if you have to pay one for every visit..sometimes its like 50-80$ a visit..hope that helps

ps - also if you're worried about finding a good/honest/reliable shop to have your scoob serviced at..check out LIC or Gruppe-S...im not saying the others are bad or anything, im just saying those are the ones ive been to and have had great success and was very pleased everytime i went back (for different stuff of course lol!)
Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM

From what I understand, it just has to have some remaining factory warranty left. ie, >35k
I will def call around though.....Thanks.

Jon