Can someone clear my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
Can someone clear my headlights?

Hey guys,

I want to clear my headlights on my 05 STI. I hate the orange and think it looks really awesome without it. Does anybody know how to clear them that can do it for me, i dont want to screw up my headlights.

It would be nice if you could do it free since im dead broke from buying the STI, but i think i could find a bit of change to throw in the deal.

I am located in Folsom and it would be great if i could find someone local to do it for me.

Thanks

Will
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
I hope that you're comfortable with baking your headlights. I don't remember the procedure, but they go in the oven for a bit and then you're able to take off the orange bits.

BTW, I ordered my swaybars from Cobb today. I should have them within a week or so. The couple changes I've made recently have made a big improvement in the handling department and the swaybars should finish it off nicely.

AND CONGRATS! I assume that you bought the black one from Carmax...
Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I hear soggynoodles is a light clearing expert. PM him.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by iceman302
I hope that you're comfortable with baking your headlights. I don't remember the procedure, but they go in the oven for a bit and then you're able to take off the orange bits.

BTW, I ordered my swaybars from Cobb today. I should have them within a week or so. The couple changes I've made recently have made a big improvement in the handling department and the swaybars should finish it off nicely.

AND CONGRATS! I assume that you bought the black one from Carmax...
Yeah i actually got it for a little less....shhhh....dont tell anyone thats against the rules! Its a long story but i was able to get the car for a little over 27.

Yeah i know you have to bake them, i know a guy who did his and they look amazing.

Thats tight you have done so much to the handling of your car, thats exactly what i want to do. We should go to the track day on the 27th
Old 10-01-2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Thanks, is he a sacramento area guy?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX

Didn't he melt one?

1FSTREX- it's way easy, I was a little nervous but you have nothing to worry about. Just remember make sure the headlight fits in the oven before you turn it on and put the rack on the bottom or next shelf up. (the heater coil on the top heats up too, so don't touch it) follow these instructions and you are good to go.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...s&pagenumber=1

Last edited by Jakes02; 10-01-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
hahaha I have never cleared my headlights.

but another i-clubber did it for me, and melted them.

Moral of the story. Never trust a china man.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX
Yeah i actually got it for a little less....shhhh....dont tell anyone thats against the rules! Its a long story but i was able to get the car for a little over 27.

Yeah i know you have to bake them, i know a guy who did his and they look amazing.

Thats tight you have done so much to the handling of your car, thats exactly what i want to do. We should go to the track day on the 27th
The track day sounds like fun!

If you remove all of the amber lenses from the headlights, aren't you asking for a ticket? I thought that the ambers were required by law or something.

It sure looks like a pretty involved process with a lot that can go wrong. I'm not sure that I'm brave enough to try and tackle that. Someone with experience should start a side business of doing it and collecting people's headlights as cores. Could probably do pretty well with it I'd guess.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
might as well do a E class bixenon retrofit while you're in there.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Talking +1 For The '05 Clear!

Just go over to Nabisco ~ There is a DIY thread (search). It is not hard at all. Takes about 6 hours to complete however. I painted my '05 surrounds black (Krylon semi gloss), they look sick!

Just be sure to buy some black silicon chaulking and re seal the entire lamp. Despite what they say in the thread, the leftover 3m goop is not enough for a perfect seal when you reheat them to put the 2 pieces back together!

I doubt if anyone will do for free. It's a REAL pain in the a** ~ but easy as s****!
Just plan on most of your day being used... but the reults are worth it. I would post a pick of mine, but I am at work.

PM me if you want to see a C/U of the final product tonight when I get home.

Last edited by NW OBS; 10-01-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Car Info: Dying is not an option. It's an upgrade.
I think cohnster easybaked his headlights. You might try asking him.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
yeah he did. i did mine over at cohns house with him and rivers. not too hard as long as you have someone with you that has done it before. Looks much better imo. Just leave the round one in at the top. Rivers regrets taking his out.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by pj21086
yeah he did. i did mine over at cohns house with him and rivers. not too hard as long as you have someone with you that has done it before. Looks much better imo. Just leave the round one in at the top. Rivers regrets taking his out.
Why? I have mine out (amber plastic) with a 5w Super White bulb... looks great as a 'running light'. Used a clear/amber LED bulb in the turn indicator hole ~ no issues or problems...
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
Originally Posted by NW OBS
Why? I have mine out (amber plastic) with a 5w Super White bulb... looks great as a 'running light'. Used a clear/amber LED bulb in the turn indicator hole ~ no issues or problems...

But if you want to be true JDM spec, you shoulda left the little orange thing in, I think it looks loads better. Me and Rivers did it together and it took a couple hours (6 hours???? OMG!!!). The thread can be found on Nazioc, but the directions are simple.

1. Remove Headlight
2. Remove ALL screws from the rear of the headlight
3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
4. Bake for 15min on a baking sheet (NEVER STRAIGHT ON THE RACK!!! IT'LL MELT!)
5. With another person and some gloves that will keep you from burning your hands, pull the headlight apart.
6. Pop out the two amber pieces
7. Put headlight back in oven to warm the silicone up again for roughly 5-10min
8. Squish back together using two people
9. Quickly put screws back together
10. DONE! Wash, rinse, and repeat for the other side.

I never had to put extra silicone on the headlight housing, and I have washed my car several times and have no leaks at all. But, do what you want. My suggestion is that if you want to put new silicone in, you strip all of the old silicone out as it might create some sealing issues between the two silicone adhesives.

HERE IS THE LINK, FOLLOW IT AND YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG! http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...light+clearing
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
i guess its just personal prefrence.

Quick Reply: Can someone clear my headlights?