Front Plate Law In Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
Hey VR, I feel your pain. I'm not sure if you know this, but the Traffic Safety Commission should really be called the Traffic Profit Commission. She gave you the ticket because she could make a dollar off you or in this case $30. If you want to fight it just say the plate is in the front window and maybe she didn't see it. Also you could leave the front plate in the car and when you park at the place where you got the ticket you could just throw it in the front window. It's up to you. The law is bull**** anyway. If a cop is chasing someone they're not going to see the front plate. Did you know one of the main reasons they want a front plate is for radar. It needs a flat reflective surface and that plate works great. Like I said profit, profit, profit. I think if they cared about safety as much as profit they'd take some of that revenue and put it toward a better education system for new drivers, but again that would cut onto they're profits. So yea you have every right to be pissed, I'd be.
I'm curious though what police body actually issued the citation. The reason I ask is alot of times bigger organizations like Denver PD won't bother with that kind of ticket, but a smaller force like Englewood PD would.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I don't have the ticket in front of me; I left it in the car. I'll look and see who issued it, but I don't think I'm going to fight it. Technically the law is that the plate has to be at the frontmost part of the car, so even it being in the window is technically not legal. I don't think it's worth my time. It's only $30. But you can be sure that next time I park at a meter I will put it in the window!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
I here ya.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
What about cars from out of state? I just moved into the Springs from the southeast. Down there you are not required to have a plate. Am I going to go through a lot of BS if I get pulled over and claim, "My state doesn't require front plates." If I use a word like "reciprocity" am I going to have to pull out Websters?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I don't know for sure, but it seems like you should be off the hook. It seems logical that if your car is registered in a state that doesn't require a front plate, you shouldn't have to have one. But you know logic escapes the law sometimes...