Enissions testing in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Enissions testing in Colorado

I'm moving out to Colorado Springs next summer. When I was house hunting earlier this month I saw a WRX wagon that had a sticker saying that it was "emissions exempt" I also drive a 2002 WRX wagon, and it would make life easier if it was emissions exempt. How do you get this, and how bad is the test if I can't?

Also, how much is it to register a 2002 WRX Wagon? I heard horror stories from my realtor about $400+... if that is true, then I'll keep mine registered in MN.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I'm not positive on this, but I believe that all the new cars that you buy are emissions exempt for 5 years. But after those 5 years, you have to do emissions tests just like everyone else.

I spent over $500 to register my car when I first got it, and when I just renewed my plates it was ~$425.

Hope that helped...
Old 12-22-2003, 07:37 AM
VIP Member

Thanks. I guess I'll stay registered here in MN. I can do it legally since I'm military. That way I don't have to pass emissions, either.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:38 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon PSM
New cars are emissions exempt only if they are bought in Colorado. I moved to CO with 2 month old WRX and had to go through the testing.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

I guess I'll stay MN registered for sure, then. I think mine could passs emissions, but I don't want to press my luck.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

While we're on the topic of emissions, does anyone know if there is a visual inspection in CO? I don't remember seeing them done on my other cars, but I wasn't really paying attention either.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 2007 STI
Anyone have any answers on if there is a visual inspection in CO?

I might be moving to Denver from San Francisco and was thinking of having my WRX tuned by Vishnu (Stage 1) before I move out there.

In California, you not only get a 'sniffer' test, but also a visual inspection. If they see that you don't have the factory cats then you will fail the test.

I was wondering if CO has a visual inspection (like CA) because if I get an up-pipe and turbo-back, then I'd fail a visual inspection.

Does anyone have any info here?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Here's a link to the CO emissions testing website:

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/elements.htm

It looks like there is also a visual inspection here. I wouldn't worry too much about the uppipe. Why?
1. You can't see it
2. Most people don't even know there is one before the turbo, so they wouldn't know to look for one there.
3. It only affects cold-start emissions (so just make sure your car is completely warm before testing if you have one).

Now the turbo-back is a different story. You could just keep your stock exhaust components and install it on test day then put the TBE back on after. Hope that helped...
Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Hmmm... i didnt think there was a visual inspection here. When I got the WRX tested they passed me even though i have a new catback exhaust, downpipe, uppipe and no muffler.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:55 AM
VIP Member

Interesting. That's not what it says on their website. Maybe they just say that to scare you...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:59 AM

Imprezastifan88:

Did you give the tester a case of beer or a Ben Franklin?... that's amazing!

If I can pass a visual in CO, I'll get the Vishnu Stage 1 for sure... I know that it'll pass the sniffer test with no problems.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 AM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
I used to have a Eagle Talon before I purchased the WRX and It passed Emissions with a Race Pipe with the Body of the old cat welded to the bottom of it. So basically it looked like a cat, but it was just a peice if 3" Pipe .. and it still passed! - A cat basically filters out the electrocarbons or "unburned fuel" from your exahust. If you have your car tuned correctly and your a/f is not too rich you will be fine.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:44 PM

Hmmmm... it looks like even all wheel drive vehicles are tested under load on a 4 wheel dyno.

"All-Wheel Drive/Traction Control Vehicles
Vehicles that are full-time four wheel drive, all-wheel drive or traction control are tested using specially-designed dynamometers -- one set for the front wheels and an adjustable set (adjusted based on length of wheel base) under the rear wheels. The far right lane of every test station contains two sets of dynamometers and four-wheel drive vehicles are tested in this lane. "

I'm guessing a Vishnu stage 1 car probably wouldn't pass if the test is performed under load. I California they only do an idle test because the state is too cheap to by 4 wheel dynos.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally posted by Slick50
Imprezastifan88

were you running catless during the test?
I was running with only the mid pipe cat, and a straight uppipe and downpipe and no muffler.

Quick Reply: Enissions testing in Colorado