Who would support a new Bay Area autox series?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Car Info: 08 WRX 5dr TBE, Perrin TMIC, VF52
Who would support a new Bay Area autox series?

I'm kicking around the idea of trying to start another autocross series here in the SF Bay Area.

We already have three series here -- SCCA, UFO, and American AutoX Series. I personally won't run SCCA because of political issues with them and the fact that you only get three runs. I like the UFO group a lot, but they only run once a month. AAS is primarly a Corvette/musclecar group, but they allow most anybody to run. Normally they operate out of Sacramento, but this year they're having their events in Alameda.

My hope is to rent out the Marina airport area that UFO rents, the Saturday before many of their events. I'm trying to work out an arrangement to rent a timing trailer and equipment, but I'm also gathering info on assembling our own setup (which isn't gonna be cheap).

My thinking is we'd form a Subaru-specific group (sorta like a Subaru version of AAS), but we'd still welcome anybody who wants to run. I would want to use existing SCCA classes and most of their rules for simplicity. Plus, I'd like it to be an alternative to the f'd up SFR group (San Francisco Region SCCA) for those who still want to compete nationally, but don't want to deal with the local politics.

So anyway... who here would like another autox series to attend?

Rob
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
I'd probably attend, help out, and assist with coordination, as long as my schedule is free
Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
I'm in
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Car Info: vtak mota
im in

but im no scca basher
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 AM

I'm not bashing 'em; hell I could go on for a LONG time with my problems with SFR, but that's not the point. I'll only add that this beef goes back into the mid 1990's, and that the people and problems themselves appear to still exist. I'll leave it at that.

The point of this whole thing is just to provide more autox opportunity for those who want it. The Bay Area is the best place in the country for this sport... we have the advantage of multiple series, and mild weather than allows year-round events.

Thanks to all the supporters so far!

Rob
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I welcome any extra AutoX events, but is it really a bay area AutoX if you're planning on holding it in Monterey? For most of us its a 250 mile round trip to go to Marina.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM

I picked Monterey for cost reasons mainly. I'm not even sure if we'll be able to rent anybody's equipment. If not, then we'll have to figure out how to come up with $8-10k to get our own.

Ideally, I would like to rent out Alameda Point like AAS. It's central, and it's probably hands down THE best location in the entire area, if for no other reason than the view!

I know that Alameda Point is up in the air too... it's kind of a probationary thing. We'll have to see how the AAS events work out there before it could be considered viable.

Another reason I picked Marina, especially the Saturdays before UFO events, is so that people who wanted to do both events could stay overnight and save a drive home. I'll bring my 5th wheel down for those events, for example.

Rob
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
The other thing to keep in mind, any location is going to require you to have insurance... good luck with all that!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
Originally Posted by RobG
I picked Monterey for cost reasons mainly. I'm not even sure if we'll be able to rent anybody's equipment. If not, then we'll have to figure out how to come up with $8-10k to get our own.

Ideally, I would like to rent out Alameda Point like AAS. It's central, and it's probably hands down THE best location in the entire area, if for no other reason than the view!

I know that Alameda Point is up in the air too... it's kind of a probationary thing. We'll have to see how the AAS events work out there before it could be considered viable.

Another reason I picked Marina, especially the Saturdays before UFO events, is so that people who wanted to do both events could stay overnight and save a drive home. I'll bring my 5th wheel down for those events, for example.

Rob
have you talk to jesus about alameda?

last i heard it was pretty expensive
Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM

Not yet. I was also wondering about Oakland Coleseum...

Rob
Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Car Info: evo 9
I think you forgot about a few other clubs that autox in this region:
Golden Gate Lotus club, Porsche Club and BMW club all do autox's in Marina.

I think 6 different autox groups is plenty, but I wouldn't be against another one popping up
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
especially if you can get a peninsula site (not bloody likely, i know)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
how's this coming along?

As for insurance, you can talk with Norcal UFO and get insurance through them.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
what about great america aux parking lot. BMW GGC is starting to run there. I ran it, and it's pretty fun.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
I would defenitely go to Great America parking lot, Monterey marina is too far for me, so I never go.

Quick Reply: Who would support a new Bay Area autox series?