Track Noob

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Track Noob

Hi all,

I got the car and I got the urge to do a track day. It's on my bucketlist.

Car: 2006 STi (stage 2 - Catback, downpipe, intake, tune)

Questions:
What events am I eligible for? (In Norcal)
What safety equipment do I need? (helmets, harnesses, etc.)
Where do you buy a helmet that is certified?

Share: Your experience as a noob and what your should have, would have, could haves were....?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Wrx2fast4ufool; 03-11-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM

I'm a driving coach for Hooked On Driving so it's been a long time since I've been a newbie at the track, but I can answer your questions and comment on what I see out there.

First, you need a helmet that is current. Most organizations require 2005 or newer. Many, including HOD, don't allow motorcycle helmets as they don't have fireproof materials on the inside. You don't need anything fancy, open face is fine. Expect to pay about $300 or more. You can usually rent one until you're ready to buy. End-of-the-season sales are usually a good deal. Especially at shops at the track.

Next, a harness is not required if you're only doing a track day. Remember that you aren't racing and you are expected to drive at a reasonable pace that doesn't endanger life or property. I have a harness in my '04 STi and it really makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. I'm not worried about crashing but it's no fun hanging on to the steering wheel while my OEM belts are constantly loosening and tightening. I tried that belt lock thingy and it just didn't work for me.

"Eligibility?" If your car is safe and you pay for the event you're good to go. Again, this isn't a race so it doesn't matter what you've done to your car. Many events allow you to "self-tech" your car and have you sign a release of liability. Important issues are: secured battery, tight wheel bearings, firm brake pedal, no loose suspension parts, good brake pads, no loose items in the trunk or interior, safety belts, approved helmet to name a few.

The first mods I did after my first track day was anti-swaybars and tires. Our cars tend to understeer so fix that first. Then peruse the forums for an inexpensive set of rims. You'll probably want some R compound tires for maximum enjoyment. They are a bit pricey so look for some used ones. I have a source where I get a set of four with about 60-75% left for $400 plus shipping. Buy a set of Tire Totes to wrap your rims/tires to protect your back seat. I also have a lightweight floor jack that fits perfectly in the footwell of my back seat. In the trunk is a Rubber Maid tub with tools, torque wrench (78 lbs), helmet, shoes, quart of oil, impact wrench, etc.

At the track pay attention and listen to anyone associated with the event. You''l learn a lot. Don't act or talk like you're an expert, be humble and respectful. Your driving skills, or lack of, will demonstrate who you are. Thunderhill is the perfect track for first timers. It has lots of runoff if you screw up, it's relatively easy to learn the "line", and there is not a lot of visual clutter to distract you while you learn.

Choosing an organization to run with really follows the rule of "you get what you pay for". There are some groups that are cheap but the availability of coaches is minimal. Go with a high quality school first and then go cheap after you learn how to drive and learn the track. Hooked On Driving charges $295 for T'hill. You get five 20 minute sessions with a coach in your car with a mic and ear piece. Between track session there'll be download sessions in the clubhouse and they provide a quality lunch. Demo rides are always available and coaches are always willing to answer any questions you have.

Sorry to go on,
Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Hey. Here's one that's coming up soon. I did this back in December. That was my first track day. It was pouring rain, but really fun.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/meetin...ck-day-249089/