Subi won't cover your car if raced

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
It's a common sense.
racing = no warranty
racing parts = no warranty.
racing = no insurance (unless you buy one or the event comes with one for racing)
race on your own risk.

I thought that the web monitoring of the Mitsubishi was excessive but it turned out to be false, huh?

Last edited by go go go; 06-23-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:24 AM
VIP Member

It just sucks because they make these cars to race hard, but when you do, they void your warranty. The Sti and Evo are both made for racing. But if subaru or mitsubishi find out that you race, your warranty is voided. It just doesn't make sense???
Old 06-24-2004, 05:29 AM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Also... read this again:
Mitsubishi does not have any automated web search system looking for Lancer Evolutions involved in race events. This is absolutely false.
Conspiracy theorist that I am, I'm willing to bet that is true. What they DIDN'T say is that they don't also have PEOPLE sitting behind a computer actively searching for results. Automated system vs. People actually doing it are two different things.

--kC

Last edited by KC; 06-24-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
What's funny to me is that they used to give a free year membership to SCCA with every WRX purchase (I have one), but technically, if you participate, then you are out of luck. Kind of contradictory huh.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
It is alittle contridictory, but it's your choice to send that membership off. It's common sense as stated above, you race your car you will wear it out quicker, racing break things, racing wears things down, any car company should not be held accountable to replace parts that you or I break during a race. Racing is not cheap, It's hard for me to afford it I know, but I'm not complaining, if you want to race you need to understand that you're going to have to pay for things.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by go go go
It's a common sense.
racing = no warranty
racing parts = no warranty.
racing = no insurance (unless you buy one or the event comes with one for racing)
race on your own risk.

I thought that the web monitoring of the Mitsubishi was excessive but it turned out to be false, huh?

I don't wholly agree with this. As BasicEvo says, you have to take each case as it comes.

For example, I autocross my WRX and it is completely stock. The A/C failed and Subaru replaced it under warranty. That seems totally reasonable because I can't see how auto-x would damage the AC any more than a drive down the freeway. Conversely, I'm sure my wheel bearings will fail sooner than average WRXs and I'll pay for those when the time comes.

The only thing I didn't get about BasicEvos posts is that in the first, it says "Mitsubishi does not have any automated web search system looking for Lancer Evolutions involved in race events. This is absolutely false ". In the second post it says "about the monitoring being true or false i dont know." Which is it? As KC points out, there are many ways of getting information.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by InfamousDX
What's funny to me is that they used to give a free year membership to SCCA with every WRX purchase (I have one), but technically, if you participate, then you are out of luck. Kind of contradictory huh.
They still do. My STi came with one. And now they send out Subaru Drive Performance magazines that tell you about auto crossing and how it can "teach you to be a better driver", performance exhaust, how the "sweet spot" of the STi engine is between 4000 and 6000 RPM, and "Fast Lap Day" put on at Texas Motor Speedway by Panoz Racing School and how that is "invaluable to performance car owners" - and on and on.

Showing cars driving in the twisties in a commerical is one thing, but give me a break. I'm not complaining - if I run hard and break stuff I know I may have to buck up and fix it, that's part of the deal, but they'd have to make me race by gun point to endorse this type of use any harder.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:42 PM

No different than any other company...Jeep for example builds a high performance off road wrangler (The Rubicon) Air Lockers, 4.1:1 Tcase, 4.10 gears and 31" MTRs yet if evidence of offroading exists they can void warranty if they feel like.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 04 STi blk cloaked team blew member
I think it depends on the dealership but the dealership has the right to void the warranty if they determine the car has been abused it doesn't have to be raced.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:17 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
It just sucks because they make these cars to race hard, but when you do, they void your warranty. The Sti and Evo are both made for racing. But if subaru or mitsubishi find out that you race, your warranty is voided. It just doesn't make sense???
It makes sense to me. My dad has a 240z. Those things were made for the comsumer wanting an inexpensive sports car, but they were half way race ready out of the box. Then people modded them like hell (sus, shoving in small block v8s, etc) and took them to SCCA events IMSA, and other amateur racing events. Point I'm getting to is, Datsun voided the warranty for racing after (what I heard from my dad) that some people (idiots) went out racing, got into an accident and sued Datsun for making a faulty product when indeed, they modified the car and used it something other than it's intended use.

Although the 240z was a sports car that could be easily converted into a race car, it wasn't made for that purpose. It was a street car, which in all practical purposes, is used only for normal daily driving. I'm not saying that all people who drive sports cars or exotics are idiots, but if they happen to do something stupid like that, the company is protected by their frivolous lawsuits. You'll be surprised to see how many people can't handle more powerful cars, or do sus mods incorrectly or (from what I heard from the Audi site) sandblast the combustion chamber while the engine is running in order to do a port polish. *sigh*

My 0.02,
Tim
Old 10-09-2004, 03:24 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Does this mean that I won't mod my car if I get it? Nope. I still will, but you guys should all understand that warranties get voided if the car is modded. Does this mean that I say "shame on you for modding your cars"? Not at all. I'd like to do some mods on my 2.5RS too. And if done properly, should improve the performance capabilities of the car. Its just the idiotic few who ruin it for the people who actually do things right.

Tim

Quick Reply: Subi won't cover your car if raced