F1: McLaren: We could handle Raikkonen

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
F1: McLaren: We could handle Raikkonen

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79008

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug says McLaren has no qualms about slotting in Kimi Raikkonen alongside Lewis Hamilton next year - as it closes in on a deal with the Finnish driver.

With Ferrari in the final stages of completing moves that will end Raikkonen's Ferrari deal a year early, and open the way for Fernando Alonso to join the Maranello-outfit, sources have confirmed that the 2007 world champion and McLaren are keen to renew their partnership.

And although the signing of Raikkonen for 2010 would give McLaren one of the strongest driver line-ups on the grid, it could also leave it exposed to the problems it has faced in the past in managing two top-line drivers.

However, Haug thinks that McLaren will have no trouble in dealing with such a situation – and does not risk a repeat of the problems that marred the outfit when Hamilton was partnered with Fernando Alonso.

"Whatever you can do to get the best available drivers, that is what you have to do," said Haug. "It's a question of money, it's a question of capability, a question of the amount of talent. Managing two megastars, I don't think that honestly it was a problem.

"With Alonso there were some noises to the outside world, but in reality inside the team everybody did his job and in reality we should have won the world championship. But it was not due to not having team orders.

"You can imagine what would have happened in Fernando would not have blocked Lewis in Hungary, no penalty, one point more and you are there. This is how it goes sometimes. We won it by one point and we lost it by one point.

"I stress, I do not confirm that there is change. This is very important. But managing drivers ifs and whys is the name of the game and we are qualified to do so."

Although Raikkonen did not enjoy the best of relationships with former McLaren team principal Ron Dennis, Haug says that the team would relish the opportunity to have the Finn back.

"Reflecting on our co-operation which was five years, I think that it was positive," explained Haug. "We should have won at least two world championships. I have to say we missed one with two points in 2003 but I think an engine failure was one of the reasons, so without that he could have done it.

"In 2005 he could have done it, in fairness. The engines at that stage were not as good and reliable as they are now. To have Kimi in our team winning two world championships would certainly have been a fair outcome for him. I have a good relationship with him and I'm sure he would say the same."
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Old School

As long as that car is reliable, we are going to see a resurgance in Kimi. Even his Ferrari wasn't super reliable, but still, he pushed on.

This going to be awesome. I think the McLaren car is really good right now, it's only going to be better next year. and I've always found that Kimi is better with a heavier fueled car, he will do well at McLaren.

However, this is going to be VERY interesting in terms of talent and teams.

Kimi and Lewis (2 WCs) at McLaren
Massa and Alonso (2time WC) at Ferrari
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Old School

and no Glen, Lewis not going to mop the floor with Kimi like he did with Kovi. It will more like Lewis and Alonso sharing healthy amount of wins I expect.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
and no Glen, Lewis not going to mop the floor with Kimi like he did with Kovi. It will more like Lewis and Alonso sharing healthy amount of wins I expect.
Damn Gagan...it's like your reading my mind!!!

The way I see it I like Lewis and I like Kimi....they are both champions so it will be awesome to see them duke it out. It's a pity there aren't 3 cars so Alonso could drive the same car too..that would be frikken awesome.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by glenspen
Damn Gagan...it's like your reading my mind!!!

The way I see it I like Lewis and I like Kimi....they are both champions so it will be awesome to see them duke it out. It's a pity there aren't 3 cars so Alonso could drive the same car too..that would be frikken awesome.
LMAO!

88 Season anyone?

McLaren locked up 15 wins of 16 races. 8 were won by Senna and 7 by Prost. Senna went on to win his first championship by 3 points over Prost. the gap to 3rd place Berger was 46 points!!

It would insane to see Kimi, Lewis and Alonso on 1 team. They would be dominating the championship. It would get boring eventually I think.

I'm excited, cause I expect Brawn to be slow next year and McLaren/Ferrari to find a lot of pace in the off season.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Old School

However, this is really intersting... If Kimi does sign back to McLaren... What of all that chatter about Nico Rosberg?

I think we may see Nico in a Brawn next year. I think Mercedes is serious about putting another German in another MBZ powered car.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
However, this is really intersting... If Kimi does sign back to McLaren... What of all that chatter about Nico Rosberg?

I think we may see Nico in a Brawn next year. I think Mercedes is serious about putting another German in another MBZ powered car.
MBZ should tie up an engine deal with Williams and then Nico could stay and show what a williams chassis powered by a decent engine can do.

I really rate Nico, it will be a shame to see him go to Brawn when in all likelyhood they will be slow next year.

I'm still laughing at the intense rivalry that will occur in your house if Lewis and Kimi go head to head!!! I'm sure Kiran will be celebrating a Lewis victory even harder!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Old School

MBZ should tie up an engine deal with Williams and then Nico could stay and show what a williams chassis powered by a decent engine can do.

I really rate Nico, it will be a shame to see him go to Brawn when in all likelyhood they will be slow next year.

I'm still laughing at the intense rivalry that will occur in your house if Lewis and Kimi go head to head!!! I'm sure Kiran will be celebrating a Lewis victory even harder!
She rubs it in as it is since he's been doing so well lately.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD

I'm excited, cause I expect Brawn to be slow next year and McLaren/Ferrari to find a lot of pace in the off season.
that's what i think as well.