Rally school

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Rally school

Hey all! I've been set on taking my senior trip to dirt fish rally school up in Seattle, but then I discovered a new school called "the firm" in Florida. Wondering if anyone has ever been to either of these or any other rally school and has recommendations and reviews, thanks in advance
Will
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I've never heard of "The Firm".. Primitive Rally does schools in the bay every once in a while. Usually in Santa Rosa.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
I've never heard of "The Firm".. Primitive Rally does schools in the bay every once in a while. Usually in Santa Rosa.
I'll look them up thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
You'll have a blast if you go to Dirt Fish, how many days were you going to spend at the school? It has some people who used to work at Team Oneill in New Hampshire. I've had to chance to attend a 3 day school at TO. I went when the ground was covered in ice for the best learning opportunity.

As for the Florida school, is that different from the Stark, FL school location or a name change?
As was also mentioned, you could also attend the Primitive School in Santa Rosa, but the difference is you'll use your own car, unless you rent someone elses car.

BTW, I organize rallycross events in Norcal at a site called Prairie City, it is located in Sacramento area, unfortunately noone can find any other sites closer to the bay area.

Any questions, ask away.
Brent Blakely
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by pomspeed
You'll have a blast if you go to Dirt Fish, how many days were you going to spend at the school? It has some people who used to work at Team Oneill in New Hampshire. I've had to chance to attend a 3 day school at TO. I went when the ground was covered in ice for the best learning opportunity.

As for the Florida school, is that different from the Stark, FL school location or a name change?
As was also mentioned, you could also attend the Primitive School in Santa Rosa, but the difference is you'll use your own car, unless you rent someone elses car.

BTW, I organize rallycross events in Norcal at a site called Prairie City, it is located in Sacramento area, unfortunately noone can find any other sites closer to the bay area.

Any questions, ask away.
Brent Blakely
Ya I'm thinking dirt fish, I'll do the 3 day.
Ya I'm 20 minutes from prarie haha.
How do I get on an invite list to that?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Any questions, ask away.
Brent Blakely
How often do they prep the course though? I'm not driving my car on it unless its actually nice grooms and soft dirt. No big rocks or pot holes or anything
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
+1 for Primitive in Santa Rosa. I did it last year and plan to do it again this year. I am also excited for the RallyX at Prairie City!

Hi pomspeed!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
+1 for Primitive in Santa Rosa. I did it last year and plan to do it again this year. I am also excited for the RallyX at Prairie City!

Hi pomspeed!
I feel like I'd rather learn in a car that isn't mine haha if that makes sense...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM

queeg9k, hello.

As for the PC site smoothness, we use a tractor to smooth out the rough stuff, what we can't control is how some people drive. That is the bigger problem, damage can happen to some people more often because of their driving style. But if you've been to Prairie City before, you know it can be rough, especially if people try to go 40+ mph.

Will, as for someone elses car, good way to go, I think the rental rate for the rally school is $300/student.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Will George
I feel like I'd rather learn in a car that isn't mine haha if that makes sense...
Maybe I should start renting out my cars at our rallycrosses. Check with any rally school you end up going to, because I believe even if something gets broken on the rally school cars at Team Oneill and maybe DirthFish, the person driving the vehicle may be liable for repairs.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Ya I'm 20 minutes from prarie haha.
How do I get on an invite list to that?
For an official event, just prereg and come on out. As for unofficial fun, just let me know when you want to go out and I can show up.

Brent
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM

For an official event, just prereg and come on out. As for unofficial fun, just let me know when you want to go out and I can show up.

Brent
Cool man, pm you my number so I can call you sometime!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Hey all! I've been set on taking my senior trip to dirt fish rally school up in Seattle, but then I discovered a new school called "the firm" in Florida. Wondering if anyone has ever been to either of these or any other rally school and has recommendations and reviews, thanks in advance
Will
I did DirtFish 3 day and and the Primitive Rallyx school. DirtFish was absolutely amazing (groupN cars, tons of seat time, incredible course, great instructors)... and priced appropriately. Primitive is also very good, but at a much smaller scale (and costs a lot less).

I absolutely recommend DirtFish; it's worth paying the cost. It's all about performance rally driving. Period. Up to 8 students per class, and no more than 2 students share a car. That means after running through a long course you pretty much go right back out. TONS of seat time. Here's me in one of the exercises:

Primitive is a mix of TSD rally (fun in it's own right) and the driving is on much slower courses in a much smaller area (I went to the Santa Rosa location) so it's more like a rallyx. And because number of students is MUCH higher, you can't get as much seat time.

Bottom line, go for DirtFish. If you can't, then go for Primitive. And no matter what, go join us at the local rallyx that Pomspeed sets up. (Brent) sets up great events.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
RALLY SCHOOL

here is the site to sign up. great school! I did it last year!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM

ive seen that video before! cool that was you, i think im going with dirtfish because it does seem more true rally oriented and seat time is a huge factor...
how much did it cost you for the 3 day?

Quick Reply: Rally school