Adjusting to cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 AM

Car Info: 14 m235i
Adjusting to cold weather

What's up everyone

I will be arrive in the Northwest in January with my Subaru. Can you guys give me any tips to keep my car running right. I'll be adjusting from our 70-80 degree weather to your 10-30 degree.

Will I be fine with the fluids I'm currently using? I go to the dealership for maintenance so I'm assuming all my fluids follow Subaru standards. I'm going to check the coolant with a floater tester in a couple days. Should I be worried about the other liquids? My engine oil is 5W-30. I'm just paranoid because I looked up the weather this early morning and it's in the teens. That's pretty much below freezing right?

I'll be arriving in Seattle and found a place to stay in Oregon (Hillsboro to be exact). Nasioc guys have told me that I'll be fine with all-seasonals if I stay away from the mountains.

Any assistance is appreciated, I just need help preventing the car from becoming an issue (not starting, something freezing, etc) :-)

Last edited by steak; 12-09-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
as long as you have the recommended antifreeze water/fluid mix that should be fine, if the coolant has not been changed in the last couple years I would do that before you come. With aluminum radiators you should flush every couple years anyway. The recommended oil is fine for our weather too. All season is fine for the standard winters. If you live or drive very steep grade frequently you should have chains or studded tires for those times. If your going to be driving up to ski or over the pass more than once a year I would recommend a set of dedicated snow tires.

I would also get some washer fluid antifreeze, and if your battery is over 4-5 years old I would get a new one since the cold does greatly reduce cold cranking amps.

Last edited by david2z4; 12-10-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

I called Subaru Hawaii and they said according to their books, with my 09 WRX i'm not supposed to change the coolant for 11 years. Seems kinda crazy long, and I double checked with them and they said they are not supposed to replace it for that long unless if there's a problem (leak, etc).

I will definitely look into the window washer antifreeze (but I haven't found any here locally, and they all say only down to 32-33 degrees).
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Hmm, I would def check the PH or the fluid before that. Maybe they dont have aluminum core radiators. Also in this weather its good to have a blanket and a few supplies in the car in the winter. Candy bars and food is good but dont leave them in your car if you are going hiking or you may come back to the car all torn up by animals looking for food.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Would you guys recommend snow tires or all-seasons for the Portland area? I'll be staying in Beaverton if that makes a difference. I'm worried that if I get winter tires, they'll wear out faster if the road doesn't have any snow/ice. But if I have all-seasons and there is a little snow it may be unsafe.

I'm wondering how the drive will be on the I-5 from Seattle to Oregon. It'll be my first time driving for 3 hours in a long time.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM

All season should be fine with some snow. My dedicated winter snow tires come off as soon as any snow/ice is gone. I may have to pull them on and off every couple weeks (like last year in Seattle) but it only takes 10 min to switch them. Mine are over 10 years old and have 90% tread left. Got to replace them soon because the age limit has expired.

The GF ran Good all season (Dunlap SP5000) all last winter in hilly Seattle with up to a foot of snow and she didn't get stuck. Winter tires would have been better but she got through it.

If your going to be up in the Mountains often and want to have fun then I would get snow tires.

NW OBS would be a good one to ask. (I think him and I are about the only ones that post here)

Last edited by david2z4; 12-17-2009 at 10:43 AM.