Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cold weather problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Cold weather problems

This morning It was very cold (-30c)and as always my car was out all night in it. I went to start it and almost instantly a very stong smell of gas filled the cabin. I looked under the hood and couldn't see any gas dripping. The way it smelt inside I expected a puddle on the floor! The car is going back to the dealer, but has any one of you cold weather people have had this problem?
The clutch release bearing didn't like the cold at all as well.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
I guess your warranty is up

Some folk have had luck with getting the dealer to split the costs with them because it's such a safety hazard.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
How about posting a link to the NASIOC thread or a link to the image/pdf of the TSB?

thanx,

jason
Old 01-13-2004, 12:35 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
MODS...this really neds to be a stickie....
Old 01-15-2004, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
my problem I have had was this:
I left my car over night outside for the first time at a friends house and the weather w/ windchill was about -9 degrees..
and when i came out in the morning and started the car, it started fine, but my light for LOW FUEL came on.....
it would be normal IF i had low fule, but my gauge was reading a little below half. and then I shut off the engine and put it back on and it never came back.

DAMN weird because my friend has a 02 Sube and it happened to him and all the weird problems he has on his car I have the EXACT same problems on my 04. from speaker/door rattling on passenger side door, to have to close down the window and open it back up because of wind noise, to everything! Subaru is weird, but I still love them.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:06 AM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
i had the same problem when I went to Wyoming last month. I didnt worry to much about the smell, I was more worried about my transmission it felt like it was frozen
Old 01-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Stryder03 - You didin't have to pay anything?? My car has been in the shop over a week already and they haven't done anything b/c the parts still haven't shipped. They said they would ship Monday 1/19...we'll see. I asked the service manager about subaru issuing a recall and he said it was very doubtful. The soa rep has already said he'd cover half the cost (which to me is an admission of guilt). Any suggestions on how i can get them to cover the entire cost? At http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov, i found this same problem documented (i think it is problem # PE04002). I'm going to call 1-888-DASH2DOT later and have them document my complaint as well.

Micah

Quick Reply: Cold weather problems