Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.
View Poll Results: Should the WRC Replica hood stay?
Yes, Rally Sport is all the justification needed.
58.62%
No, that's rice, no turbo, no scoop.
31.03%
I am Bender, please insert girder.
10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

WRC Hood, Stay or Go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:56 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
WRC Hood, Stay or Go?

I just put a WRC replica hood on my impreza. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep it. It looks pretty good, but I have an RS so it is a little silly. On the other hand, the older RS did have a hood scoop, and the rally cars do, even though they have a FMIC.

I also painted my stock rims and got new tires. Here's the mod list so far:
WRC Replica hood
Stock, painted rims
BFGoodrich Traction T/A tires
Mesh fog light covers
K&N air filter
XM Delphi Satilite radio
Blaupunkt head unit
200W Audiobahn amp
10" Infinity Sub
Custom LED trunk light
Attached Thumbnails WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-new.jpg  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
since you paid for it, why not keep it?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 PM

Car Info: dreaming on a WHITE wrx
doesn't matter... no need people to approve of what you want...

it may help w/ cooling??? but w/o turbo its not necessary but its okay...just like 2.5rs... but that is what made me fell inlove w/ the gc8.. VENTS + SCOOP = different. but then now day rexs and STIs are everywhere !!!!..... so ya but good luck..

just make sure the back is debaged
Old 12-02-2004, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
it looks nice. keep it. maybe you'll be inspired to make it complete

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
how much did the hood cost?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
it looks good. Keep it!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 03 sliver WRX
I like it man, looks good, doesnt matter if its not a WRX, it gives the car style. Keep the hood, drop the car a lill, debadge it, and maybe get some new skirts, car will look wonderful
Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Keep it.... then later on add turbo kit + STI shortblock and some RA gears..... just some minor mods right? Haha, no really it looks good and you should use it whether turbo or not.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:29 AM

Car Info: '02 Acura RSX 5MT
not that my opinion matters, its your $$$, but no turbo, no scoop. sorry man. mustangs look rediculous w/ stock scoops, so do 4runners and rav-4's. its N/A, the intake isnt that far back, all your doing is increasing drag. and i doubt you would install a TMIC aftermarket. so its pointless (but what do i know)
Old 12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Aspin '02 WRX sedan
just leave it on until you need the money, then sell it
Old 12-03-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrruins
how much did the hood cost?
That depends, it is a fiberglass replica I got on ebay, and it was $150. But, it was about $100 in shipping. If you count all the work I did sanding, mounting, and the bondo, that could easily be $100, but at first I was quoted almost $500 to do all that and paint it. I knew the guy at my body shop though, and since we had done a lot of business with them lately they only charged me $100 for materials. So like $350 cash, and a lot of time.

The very next thing I'm doing is debadging it. I'm not sure how much I want to take off, probably just the 2.5 and RS badges, but we'll see, maybe the IMPREZA badge too.

I don't think I will drop it or add any sort of ground effects. I think with it like this it looks more like I could really rally it. But I do want some morrette lights and maybe a wing. Now I am mostly against wings, but a rally replica one would go along well, and an STi one looks very similar. I like that one carbon fiber one some people have, but it is just too much I think. A stock one of some form might be nice.

As far as engine stuff, its not like a don't want a turbo or engine swap, but I don't really have money, at least not that much. I know I can't do a ton with it N/A so I don't know if I will really try. I would rather save up to do an engine swap after college. I may put on a WRX axle back just for dual tips and so I can hear the engine.

D0WNxSH1FT- I don't blame you to think that. And if it wasn't a subaru trademark I would never even consider it. I also hate it when people put stuff on their cars that don't do anything, but this isn't a neon with an aluminum wing, tape on hoodscoop, and unpainted body kit, so its a little different. And it really looks great, not like some of the outrages crap. I have a friend who has this talon that is very crazy. Bright blue, big silver graphics on the side, huge wing, full ground effects, chrome rims, the works. We used to think he was just a ricer, but he got a turbo on it a while back and now it makes some crazy horsepower. But it does still look silly, so we can't really make fun of him, but it still doesn't look good, and anyone that doesn't know him will surely think he's a fool. Anyway, its still just opinion and everyone can think what they want.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I like the look. If you debadge it, few people will notice that its a 2.5rs. Also, where did you get that hood and how much? Is it the entire hood, of just the scoop? And what makes the replica WRC hood different from a WRX hood (other than the scoop?)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:02 AM

Car Info: sti
keep it,and can we see more pics?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wrx17
I like the look. If you debadge it, few people will notice that its a 2.5rs. Also, where did you get that hood and how much? Is it the entire hood, of just the scoop? And what makes the replica WRC hood different from a WRX hood (other than the scoop?)
I found my reciept, I got it at procarparts.com and it was actually $155 in shipping, so it came to $305 before paint. I'm not sure if they have anymore or if I'd recommend them with that price. It doesn't fit perfectly but what do you expect from fiberglass, and it is a ton lighter. If you can't tell from the pic, here's another and it shows the front vent better. It isn't functional like I thought it was when I order it, but it looks fine since I got it painted flat black, and the splitter in the scoop is flat black too. It looked really goofy after it rained though to have a puddle in whats suppose to be a vent.

Also, if anyone wants a stock RS hood that PSM, make me an offer. It does have a small dent in the front, but it isn't really noticable and should be repairable. No wiper nozzles or hardware, but the heat shield is included. Second pic is of that hood.
Attached Thumbnails WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-hood.jpg   WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-hoodstock.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the scoop is STi sized not WRX. And here is a lot more pics.
Attached Thumbnails WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-013.jpg   WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-014.jpg   WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-016.jpg   WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-018.jpg   WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-008.jpg  

WRC Hood, Stay or Go?-impreza-009.jpg  

Quick Reply: WRC Hood, Stay or Go?