Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Teh Rice Wagon v2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Last week I was able to finish up a couple projects.

I also got the final version of the radiator shroud that a friend was making for me.

If you recall, I installed a larger radiator. The Cobb shroud didn't quite cover it.

A friend of mine said he could make a bigger piece that would cover the whole radiator. Prototype came out pretty good. But one of the holes missed.

Made some adjustments and anodized it black. It's looking damn good.

He made a few of them. I'm looking to sell the additional shrouds, the Cobb shroud and the prototype if anyone is interested.
Jamo? I'll definitely take one of those final shrouds. I'll get it powdercoated and wrinkle though since I have another part to get done already, so if there are some unfinished ones?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Just the prototype is unfinished. :/
Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Couple things learned...

The braking bias isn't great. I expected this and I had already ordered a solution.

It arrived.

Compared to stock BRZ rear rotor (Similar to WRX)

These *****es are big. Rotor diameter, these are make no difference the same size as the front. Little bit thinner. The calipers are a thinner version of the fronts with less pistons. Same pad shape. Also thinner, but same shape.

I'm excited. I'll probably get these on next month though.

And a sort of expected but unexpected problem, the tune sucked. I know, crazy to think that an OTS tune isn't perfect. Overboosting does not make for low lap times.

I've had a fuel pump and boost controller lying around for a while now. I wanted to get some other pieces in with these but I want the car running sooner rather than later.

The fuel pump was kind of an ordeal. Not overly difficult. But more tedious than I wanted it to be.

The boost controller on the other hand, this one pissed me off. Based off of Cobb's install difficulty guide, this should have been easier than the fuel pump and it was not. Any day I need to break out super long nose pliers is a bad day.

But I got it in. Made my way to GST Motorsports.

Shoutout to Mike for being a boss and tuning my POS.

Almost ready for GTA at the end of the month.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Just the prototype is unfinished. :/
I'll still take one lol. If I ever make it out to the meet... I have a different radiator than you too.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by 04GG
I'll still take one lol. If I ever make it out to the meet... I have a different radiator than you too.
It should work with pretty much every radiator. Let me know ahead of time if you're coming. I'll throw them in the car.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Continuing to get ready for GTA.

Got a proper harness installed.

Got some fresh rubber mounted up.

Comparing the stuff I gotta use with the stuff I want to use.

I also got some new gloves, just in time.

With all my ducks in a row, I finally registered for the event and posted a cool, I'm going, picture on Instagram.

All that's left to do is to remove a bunch of decals and change the pads. I haven't decided if I want to change the pads the day before or morning of. They are load as ****.

In the meantime, I've been trying to estimate what kind of lap times I should expect.

I recon a 2:05 will be competitive. 2:00 should win a watch. I should be able to swing a 2:06. Last time out was almost a year ago and there have been some changes to the car since then.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Doing things, getting ready for GTA. Went to the dealer to get some coolant. Also picked up a clip for my side skirt. It's not flopping around any more.

Got the car washed and took off the door numbers and windshield banner. Car looks weird.

Also Removed the WorldStar decal and replaced it with a GTA decal.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

On Saturday I was at Buttonwillow for Global Time Attack.

One of my coworkers was there to and we split a garage. First time I've been in a garage at the track. Garages are nice.

First session was ok. Got a feel for the new tires and bedded in the brakes. I was late to the start and the session was red flagged before it was over. I was able to put in one flying lap before the red flag. Session was red flagged because a car had rolled. I had found a picture online somewhere. I would post it But IDK how sensitive the driver/owner is about it.

Second session, overall, the car is feeling good. I put in a good flying lap. About 1/3 of the way through the following lap, I lose a cylinder. I come in. In the paddock making my way to the garage, the car dies a bunch and won't run for more than a couple seconds. No CEL, no smoke, nothing leaking. IDK wtf is going on. One of the cylinders is clearly not working. I've assumed the worst. Results from the second session get posted. I did a 2:08.798. I'm fairly comfortably in 2nd place. I have kinda accepted that fate. I start considering how I'm going to get the car home.

My tuner happened to be at the event. He caught wind of my situation. He came over and took a look. The coil pack for cylinder #2 is missing. It's completely gone. Cue relief and just utter confusion. Coil packs don't just fall out. But one of mine did. I'm sure it's out on track somewhere. I'm not getting it back. There are a bunch of other Subarus, It's a long shot, but maybe someone has a spare. I ask everyone I could find. Nothing. One guy did tell me about a dealership that is kinda near by (Buttonwillow is in the middle of nowhere). I called the dealer, they don't have anything either. I didn't expect the dealer to have one. I've melted a coil pack on this car. I've learned that the 2011 coils are different and no one stocks them. After all of this, I'm back in the garage and my coworker and his friend are back. I tell them that my problem is a missing coil pack. To which they're all like, "Oh, there was a coil pack on the ground in front of the garage." WHAT?! Go outside, sure enough, there's a coil pack laying on the ground. It's a Subaru coil pack. Got it installed. Car runs fine. At this point there was 5 minutes left of the third session. I completely missed it.

Fourth session comes around. Car is running. I go out I get about 5 laps in. It's much hotter than it was before. Ambient temps were in the low 90's. My coolant got up to 234. I had to do some cool down laps to manage it. My best lap was a 2:09.393. No improvement.

Ended the day in 2nd place.

My goals were to clear a 2:06.999 and to not be last. 1 for 2 is ok, I guess.

I've got videos to work with. I'll have those up soon. I haven't seen much in the way of pictures getting posted even though there were photographers everywhere. But it's only Monday.

So far, I found this one on Instagram.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:05 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Videos are up.

Also, now that the event has passed. I suppose I can post the dyno results from earlier in the month.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Got some pictures.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/cL05i

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:07 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Cylinder 2 woes continued.

Everything was still there. I worked on pressing the plug into the pack. Nothing moved like it was out of place or anything. But that car has been running better ever since. Going on 5 days now.

While I had my fingers crossed on that, I got the rear BBK on.

Front caliper vs rear caliper

If they look the same size, that's because they are. :devil:

Getting the kit on wasn't that bad. But it did suck a little bit.

In the midst of all that. There was an AutoX event. I'm kinda out of tires. Friend of mine wanted to go. We codrove his bugeye.

Our best runs were insanely close. He was ahead of me by .051 of a second.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:12 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Where were we?

With the brakes kinda sorted. (I need not street pads) I started digging though my tires...

Got a set together that matched. They stacked kinda high.

Mounted them up anyway.

Front is close...

Rear is closerer.

If I'm honest, these kinda scare the **** out of me.

But it's ok! The clutch started to do weird things...

With that going on, I didn't want to race the car much until I had a new clutch.

With the down time, I found a spacer and decided to try all my wheels.

No love for the RPF1s.

6ULs fit though.

And so did the stockers!

The stock wheels fitting really blew my mind.

And that's 10 pictures...

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Went driving through the mountains for Mother's day. (Met mom at a winery up there) Found out that there is a photographer that likes to hang out and take pictures of the cars that go by. He got some shots of me.

You can check out his stuff on Instagram and Facebook.

https://www.instagram.com/bayroadsap/

Facebook Post

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Even with the clutch hurt. I went back to the track. Opportunity to go to Sonoma for the first time.

Parked with my coworker.

Believe it or not, we were in the same class. I was really not on competitive tires. I was grided P33.

I was way down the grid. The grid cones even stopped at 29.

I did... not well. I was way off the pace. Like, 10 seconds off the podium.

Toward the end of the 4th session, I had a problem.

Things got a little toasty.

Had to tow the ***** home. Learned that the tow strap works.

Well, I didn't take it home. Mike at GST insisted I take it to him. I dropped it off there. I was expecting the worst. Reality, fan ate the hose.

Another OE hose is in it now. I have silicone on the way.

I think I got a good picture for next week.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Sonoma was a lot of fun though. I was able to bang in some pretty consistent lap times. First time ever at this track. My goal was 2:05.

Car was running well until it wasn't. Braking balance is much better than before. It's still a little forward. But I do have slightly more aggressive pads in the front. (BP-20 front, BP-10 rear) Even pads might make it better. It was tricky though. The other cars were taking huge braking zones which caused me to be on my brakes for too long. My fluid boiled pretty bad. No real fade from the pads though. Kinda surprising but makes sense. I'm on very street tires.

Should have some more pictures and videos soon.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 07-17-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Teh Rice Wagon v2.0