Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Project EJ18T

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by 4URABUS
Two problems that I see:

#1) Hot air from oil cooler dumps directly down behind throttle body. With the metal piping it will increase intake air temps, and might cause problems with the throttle body itself (electronics melting, throttle shaft seizing).

#2) Drainback from the oil cooler has the potential to leave it dry when parked overnight. Without some sort of residual pressure valve in the return line and a one-way valve in the feed line, it would cause an air pocket to form in your oiling system. No bueno.
ok...yes the oil cooler will increase intake temps...but as far as affecting the TB..ill call BS...oil temps at the max maybe 200F ...as long as it aint touching the TB...youll have no problems....what you do worry is exhaust heat...500-600F+...try bumping an arm just for a fraction and see what either can do...

#2 if this was the case...we would have a dry sump oiling system to prime up every bearing before startup.

what good would a pressure valve do? if this was the case...you would be calling every car manuf. with an automatic & trans cooler stupid for not having these valves because they dont....

sure you may have an air pocket in your trans cooler....that may effect its efficiency a little...but is this a cooling system...where your using pressure to increase water/antifreezes boiling point... btw...we have a big air pocket in the valve cover....filler up...more oil to get ride of the air pocket....

Last edited by houdni; 07-05-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM

by his log...looks like an oil cooler...
shh...ive been guilty for starting cutomers cars without oil....hahahaha...but thats only to warranty an engine noise problem until KABLEWY!!! and it took a LONG TIME without oil as well....ROFL!!!
Name:  img025.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  51.6 KB

Last edited by houdni; 07-05-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:08 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by houdni
both 1 and 2 your kidding right? ROFL!!!!
BTW..awesome work with the car....been following your journal...just curious when you welded up that crossmember, were you using flux core?
thanks,

not sure about the type, its a basic MIG welder. not too keen on what type it is, i just know MIG can weld steel together that's all. lol

Last edited by joejoe69; 07-06-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by RallyGC
Honestly I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the throttle body or intake temps. The volume of air at speed that a scoop takes in should be more than enough to dissipate the heat from an oil cooler. The top mount may be prone to drain down but its placement after the oil pump negates any issues having to do with pump feed. If anything it might just take a bit for the oil to cycle through the whole system but I'm sure hes already calculated for the extra system volume. Very clean build though, hope to see you out on the road.
thank-you. i'll see you around as well.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 4URABUS
Now I see what's going on. The reason for the residual pressure valve on the return side is to keep a little bit of oil in the pressurized side of the oiling system at all times. Without it, the cooler is the highest point in the oiling system (even higher than the turbo), and any oil that trickles down overnight is going to leave the engine bearings and turbo bearings dry when the engine is started.

oil capacity will be increased, so that means oil can get around quicker than just the basic four quarts in the engine. oil cooler in or not, gravity always pulls oil down no matter what.

as for heat, that's why i put it under the scoop. more intercooler blockage in front of the radiator would've left the radiator in heat soak. if anything, the tb/im is hot to the touch as the engine itself when i put my hands on it ....even when it was NA. my wires are still holding up for 15 years, a couple hundred degrees won't hurt. besides, i have thermo-tape to fix it in that department.

Last edited by joejoe69; 07-06-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by joejoe69
thanks,

not sure about the type, its a basic MIG welder. not too keen on what type it is, i just know MIG can weld steel together that's all. lol
was the welder hooked up to gas?
MIG requires an inert gas...flux core can be used in a mig machine but requires no gas...almost like stick welding except you have a trigger..

Last edited by houdni; 07-06-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 PM

oh, then flux core it was.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM

if your machine has the inlet for the gas...id suggest getting a bottle of gas, change the wire and your welds will look a TON better! not to mention youll see the puddle much clearer...dont forget to add a cup to the tip of the welder mig gun...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM

i know, but as long as it holds, it should be fine. plus its hidden under the up-pipe so no one can see my weld job.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 AM

btw, i was thinking whether or not about getting an oil cooler thermostat for my oil cooler. do we really need a thermostat for oil in hawaii?? i mean yeah, sometimes it gets down to mid-high 60's but other than that its usually 70's at night or in the morning, depending where you live at. just wondering that it might take a little longer for the engine to warm up if i have the oil cooler rigged up with no thermostat.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 PM

nerv'r mind, got one. it maintains pressure, prevents over-cooling, and gets rid of air pockets. that'll solve all issues, period.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
joejoe... I hope that you're taking pictures as you do things. I thoroughly documented my swap but sadly I didn't document my auto to manual swap nor my original turbo swap back in the day. I kick myself all the time since I've learned so much over the years.

awesome built and cannot wait for the finished product.

who says that you cannot be greedy with boost

Jon
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
joejoe... I hope that you're taking pictures as you do things. I thoroughly documented my swap but sadly I didn't document my auto to manual swap nor my original turbo swap back in the day. I kick myself all the time since I've learned so much over the years.

awesome built and cannot wait for the finished product.

who says that you cannot be greedy with boost

Jon
i have been taking pictures, but only through my cell phone.

my wife just got back from vegas with our camera. i just hope i remember to bring it next time i see the car.

i've been taking a lot of pictures through every stage its been through:

from a "tercel":

Name:  IMGP1159.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  88.5 KB

to "hachiroku":

Name:  IMGP1250.jpg
Size:  171.0 KB

to subie:

Name:  IMGP0171.jpg
Size:  111.0 KB

i'd say it came a long way...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Originally Posted by joejoe69
i have been taking pictures, but only through my cell phone.

my wife just got back from vegas with our camera. i just hope i remember to bring it next time i see the car.

i've been taking a lot of pictures through every stage its been through:

from a "tercel":

Tercel! I used to have one of those!
Sick build Joe! Love what you've done with it! I look forward to seeing it on the road when you're done.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM

went to ESH waipahu today and did this...

extended dump tube, last one i had made was too short.

Name:  IMG_0569.jpg
Size:  126.9 KB

piping and resonators, no cats. didn't wanna burn any pussies downstream of my exhaust.

Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Size:  103.5 KB

two 15 degree slash cut tips from magnaflow.

Name:  IMG_0573.jpg
Size:  61.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0575.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB

i spotted a white GD wagon in pearl city looking at me getting towed to waipahu. gave you a shaka but your tint was too dark to see one thrown back. and also saw junior sti heading on leonui st while my car was being worked on. you car sounds nice with the dd's, i wonder how mine will sound.

getting there...

Quick Reply: Project EJ18T