Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

My new project. Many pictures. 2800 baud users beware.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:12 AM

Car Info: None.
I heard someone got an Elise. I can fit in it with the top on... but I ripped my shorts at the dealership when I did it. I guess big monkeys like me aren't supposed to drive them!

What equal length header options are out there for the '02 WRX? I found Synic ($699), Perrin ($759), and I *think* APS, but couldn't find it exactly on their site. Just curious. Kickin around some ideas.

Found a carbon fiber hood, trunk, doors, but no fenders. A company has fenders for other WRXs / STis, so I'm wonderin if they can whip up a batch for the GC crowd. Painted, of course. "Exposed weave" is... well, it looked like crap when Spoon did it in the early 90s. Now every knuckle dragging mouth breather and his brother have it on their Honda Civic hatchback... ooh - it's original!

All you need now is your 7" exhaust tip, the 10" monster tach with 6 "D" Cell Maglight shift light...and of course your "I WiL R4C3 Jo0!" red streamers and you're set!

To each his own of course, but I'd rather have the weight savings than some exposed weave and gel coat. (www.carbon-fiber-hoods.com)

It's easy when you're virtual window shopping. Sheesh - the carbon fiber stuff is $3500 total. Shipping to Hawaii? Probably like $20 or so. Yikes - the doors are $1899. Then again, if they can support the windows and all the crap that goes with that I guess it'd be more than just some skin. Hmm... wonder if I could back-date my doors to crank windows to save weight over the 'leccy stuff?

Can't wait until my problems are like that instead of wrestling stupid transmission cradles and goddamn subframes into place!

Last edited by Latka; 04-08-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Header all depends on the dollas your willing to spend perinn is the cheapest decent stuff you'll find APS is about 1200 I believe then there is always fujitsubo cusco but those are in the 1600 APS website is airpowersystems.com.au
Old 04-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
chargespeed makes cf fenders for the GC if you really want them, just look on ebay.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by Latka
I heard someone got an Elise.

who?!? not me
Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 PM

We started the car today. Little Satan lives.

It's rather loud with only the downpipe / cat on. We hooked up the STi exhaust and it's much quieter. Car started right up with no troubles. Ran a little rich cause no O2 sensors or anything are hooked up. Had an "oh crap" moment when I thought I lost my MAF sensor. Ditch Hanger assured me they're only a bajillion dollars. (Poser that's a joke. They don't cost that much.)

Having some trouble with the damn WRX pedal set. Going to gank Dsbaruuuuu's set tomorrow and 'fow it on.

Thanks for the lead on the fenders, 91. Not sure if i'll end up going that route - my car only weighs 2690lbs. Booya. ...although if I could swap out the hood and the trunk I bet I could get that down close to 50 pounds. Then I get to add almost 300 pounds of man meat (you know you want some of my German H4wTn3sS.)

I think I'm going to go 17"s eventually so I can rock the Stoptech brake action. Black ASA copies of the BBS "fork" design, of course.

Damn. Now all I gotta do is get a **** sunday off here and there so I can come out and loop my car in front of everyone. Err... red car, silver hood, black fender, blue hood scoop, blue RS front bumper. Aww yeah. Patchwork Mafia.

Tomorrow we're probably going to (finally) get the 02 Wagon back on the ground. ...with "L" subframes, complete with a 2.2L engine. Gotta get rid of that **** soon.

Ok. Enough typing. Time to take a shower and drink some beer. Poser, I'll leave the back door open and a milk crate in the shower so you can get up and get you some.

-Andy
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 AM

sounds good man. lmk if you want i got a set of prodrive 4 pots sitting in the garage that should be more than sufficient, you just gotta get rotors and pads but will cost less than getting a new set. anyways keep us posted and lmk when your going to give out fun runs.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by Latka

Ok. Enough typing. Time to take a shower and drink some beer. Poser, I'll leave the back door open and a milk crate in the shower so you can get up and get you some.

-Andy
i love that your "back door" is always open for me...

i love you too...

Last edited by poser; 04-09-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by poser
i love that your "back door" is always open for me...
Reach for the stars, brother man! Hahahahah

Oh - everyone will know when I finally get my car running. It's going to look ghetto fabulous until I can get it painted.

Can't believe it fired right up on the first crank of the key. I mean, I know Dave does good work with wiring, but with all 50 million wires I just expected that something would go wrong. What a sweet, sweet noise it was! I'm definitely pumped to get back out there tomorrow and keep crackin on things. I think we're going to focus on getting the wreck outta here first though...
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Need some pictures mang! Excited about the finish product.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't done pictures in a while. My job situation went crazy and it has been hard to link up with Big D to get it finished. We got the heater core and a bunch of "behind the dash" stuff back in. Got the dash support in and the WRX pedal set (after much grinding, swearing, and pushin' real hard). Next up I've got to get the WRX and L steering universal joints to play well. Gotta get the top of the L one welded on to the WRX assembly, since the WRX assembly is attached to the crossmember... and the # of splines is way off between the two of them. Hopefully I can pull the WRX wheel off and use that instead of the icky L steering wheel.

Once that's done we can put the dash stuff back in, then carpet, then the JDM WRX red/black (woohoo!) front and rear seats. Technically it'll be running at that point. Oh yeah - should probably put the radiator and intercooler on too. A few engine bits here and there to finish, but we're pretty damn close.

A few things I've learned about this swap:
  1. Keep a journal. Even if you think you're going to complete the project in 4 days, you need to know where you are in the process.
  2. BAG EVERYTHING! Ziplock bags / plastic storage bins are great. I can't tell you how many times we've come to a screeching halt because I had to wander around the carport trying to find where, say, the stupid **** MAF sensor went. If it's bagged (along with the hardware you need) AND you have in your journal where the stuff is - much easier.
  3. Keep your tools organized. Jeez I suck at this one. Just like knowing where all the parts are, it sucks to have to stop to find your 14mm socket. Clean the damn things and put them away when you're done. While you're working, don't just set 'em anywhere. Have a tray or a small cart that you can put the tools on. If you have to search a 2x3 area it's MUCH easier than the whole damn carport.

Hopefully over the next week or so Dave and I can find time to get the remaining things done. I've gotta pick up some stupid stuff like the (uber stupid) plastic screw thingies that hold the inner fender to the sheetmetal. Speaking of fenders - unless you've got money falling out of your butt you really don't need carbon fiber fenders. Seriously. (Homestar voice) Seriously. They must weigh all of 2 or 3 pounds in metal form.

Dave and I figure that we've got maybe a solid week's worth of work into the car. Granted, we've spread that out over ...5 months. Hahahahahah. Almost there. Hopefully the end result is worth it. My car, the "L", is 800 pounds lighter than the 2002 WRX sedan was. Muhahahahah. :wave:

-Andy
Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM

k wait why do you have to weld the universal joints? if your using the wrx steering colum and rack then why would you need to weld it? just curious.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:51 PM

We're not using the WRX steering column. We're using the L steering column. I'm hoping to use the WRX wheel though.

I think at this point Dave doesn't want to have to play "rewire" anymore. He said that this car has been a pain in the butt compared to his WRX>RS swap. I'm with him - I just want to get the damn thing done and drive it!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM

you can't use the wrx column? why the hell not?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
actually the more im thinkin we are goin to use the wrx column but we gotta chisle the wrx ign off the column and put the l one on
Old 04-27-2007, 09:24 PM

Ah ok. What about the busted thread on the top end? Can we use the whammylator 5000 to re-thread it?

A

Quick Reply: My new project. Many pictures. 2800 baud users beware.