Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

99RS -> 05 STI w/ 400+ WHP

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX Wagon, and 99 RS
99RS -> 05 STI w/ 400+ WHP

Hi all.
I have been a Subaru guy for quite some time. I bought my 99RS after discovering nasioc in 1999. Here are a couple of pictures:

Not to be lame, but I love that car. Changed the sway bar, and put in the Prodrive suspension that Mike Shields was selling way back when he was the only Subaru tuning vendor around....car handled like a dream. Went to a bunch of the meets and install events that the old crew used to put on. Even went to the first track day that nasioc put on in northern california. When I went back to grad school, I fell out of the Subaru community. Just got too busy with school...and all the things that go along with that All that time, and 170,000 miles later, the car never had a problem.

So fast forward to 2009. I had been out of school for a couple of years, and decided that it was time to buy a new car. I test drove an 09 STI, and 09 WRX, and an 09 Evo MR. I was going to get the Evo, but in the end I just couldn't turn my back on my trusted brand. I ended picking up an 09 WRX:

Have done a few modifications to it, and have made good friends with the guys up at EQ Tuning.

So then the question was...what should I do with my old trusty RS? It had been with me so long that I couldn't sell it. One day I stopped by EQ and they had a guy bring in an 03WRX with an 05STI swap. Unfortunately for him, he had blown a couple of pistons, and was out of money. Here is that car:

I bought the car from him, and have now started reviving my old RS into one hell of a kick butt track car.

Details:
  • I am giving myself a budget of $20k
  • I am doing a complete stock swap first.
    • I am planning on replacing all the RS wiring with the STI wiring.
    • Should I swap the dash? I think that it end up being easier.
    • I think that the STI subframes will just bolt up to the RS...at least I hope so.
  • Engine will be rebuilt by the guys at EQ. As long as the engine is apart, might as well do a Stage 2 build.That includes:
    • CP 100mm Pistons, pins, and rings
    • ACL Race Series Bearings
    • Manley I-Beam EJ257 Rods
    • 2008 STI Oil Pump
    • Complete Inspection and Cleaning of block, crank, and rods
    • Magnaflux Crank
    • Balance and Polish crank, rods, and pistons
    • CNC Bore and Hone
    • Line Hone main bearing housings
    • Machine block halves for Cosworth Rod clearance
    • Deck block
    • In-House Clearance, Blueprint, and Assemble to our strict specs and tolerances
    • And something with the heads...not sure yet.
  • Suspension/Handling/Bushings:
    • Haven't decided on suspension yet....but obviously coil-overs are in order. I have budgeted ~4k for this.
    • Bushings:
    • Whiteline front control arm bushing
    • Whiteline Roll-center adjustment
    • Whiteline sport Anti-lift
    • Whiteline steering rack bushings
    • trans xmember bushings
    • Whiteline subframe lock bolts
    • Whiteline Trailing Arm bushings
    • Whiteline Lateral Link bushings
    • Whiteline Trailing arm bushings
    • Group N engine and trans mounts
    • Holy Shift Set
  • Weight Reduction:
    • Looking to remove all sound proofing
    • lightweight front bumper beam
    • lightweight hood. CF or JDM aluminum would be good.
    • CF doors???
    • Yes I will be painting any CF parts. No I don't think that CF looks remotely good.
  • Widebody kit of some sort?? Big tires are good.
  • Haven't decided on the turbo yet. Leaving that up to Ed
  • The guys at EQ seem to be partial to E85, so that is the route we will go!
  • A FMIC is in order at some point.
  • Oh yes...and I imagine that Ed will be doing all the tuning

Table of Contents:
1) Story
2) Breakdown of the Donor

Last edited by doc_randy; 01-27-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX Wagon, and 99 RS
UPDATE!

Today we set out to remove everything I am going to need from the donor. I took out the wiring harness last time..and took all the interior out:

The new lift isn't wired up yet, so doing it old school! Getting the donor up onto stands. That is Alex at EQ. He drives a swapped RS that he did in his garage.

The engine was taken out last week and sent to the machine shop. It is getting CP Pistons, Manley I-beam rods, and Crower Cams.

This is what the rear subframe looks like after you unbolt it from the chassis. I was surprised how easy things just come apart!

We just picked it up and moved it off to the side.

Same thing with the front. Note to self....remove the front subframe before you remove the tranny. It would be much easier! Of course, it was still pretty damn easy

Then is the front subframe...It really is like taking apart Legos! Here is the tranny and front...shoved into the corner.

My new drivetrain packed neatly into a corner!

We also took the gas tank...but I got to lazy to take a picture of that

Next up....buy bushings and replace them all while the parts are sitting on the ground!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
WOW looks so far