NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

WTB: Coilover / Wheel setup for GR STi Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 PM

Car Info: 2011 Ltd. Subaru Impreza WRX STI
WTB: Coilover / Wheel setup for GR STi Sedan

Hey guys,
I'm looking to pick up a coilover setup and some wider wheels this summer. Let me know what you have!
I'm in a 2011 STi sedan, and I'm not looking to spend TOO much.
PM me and I'll send you more information so we can meet up!

Other little things that might be worth a shot:
I am looking for a heavy shift **** (6-speed w/ reverse lockout),
Invidia q300
replica front lip / side skirts
any driving lights (hella or PIAA)

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
What type of racing will you be doing?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Streetable coilovers?

Get some RCE Tarmacs.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Looking for streetable coils--bc br with the swift springs have been on my list, but I'm hoping to pick something up used. I hope to see some weekend warrior track days and maybe some auto cross. Already have sways and end links!
I won't BS either, looking to improve stance and look a little more aggro as well.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by GnarSTi
Looking for streetable coils--bc br with the swift springs have been on my list, but I'm hoping to pick something up used. I hope to see some weekend warrior track days and maybe some auto cross. Already have sways and end links!
I won't BS either, looking to improve stance and look a little more aggro as well.

Thanks!
when you put it that way, RCE tarmac 2s
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
when you put it that way, RCE tarmac 2s
just did a little research, the price seems a little bit high for me right now. I read nothing but good things but I don't think my wallet is ready to drop 2k+ on coils.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
just did a little research, the price seems a little bit high for me right now. I read nothing but good things but I don't think my wallet is ready to drop 2k+ on coils.
2k is the minimum you should drop on coils. look into the bilsteins and RCE yellows then

here:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal...le-afb-252145/
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Look into ST suspension technique coilovers, not sure if they have a GR application but I just got some for my 04

Same as kw coilover but with different shock body metal

I paid about $1300 with new group-n tophats so you don't need to spend $2k minimum on coilovers
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Not everyone has or wants to spend 2k on coilovers.

If you want to daily the car, and occasional autox get bc with swift springs. if you want to push yourself and your car and get really competitive times. Get 2k coils.

I had BC coils for awhile, they were good for daily, decent for the random back road drive, garbage for autox and even worse when i really wanted to smash the back roads.

Worth it for 950 tho
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Then you need to write off coilovers as something you can't afford at the moment. As mentioned, $2,000 is the minimum spending point for decent ones on your car. All of the cheap budget ones, like BC, are garbage that aren't even worth their weight in dirt. Question the knowledge of anyone who recommends them to you, because people who know enough about suspension design won't (recommend them).

Originally Posted by slugrx
Look into ST suspension technique coilovers, not sure if they have a GR application but I just got some for my 04

Same as kw coilover but with different shock body metal

I paid about $1300 with new group-n tophats so you don't need to spend $2k minimum on coilovers
ST doesn't make them in his application, and they are also KW V1s in different damper bodies. KW V1s are $1,700 for his fitment and then he has to add top hats, so yes, $2,000 is the minimum.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Then you need to write off coilovers as something you can't afford at the moment. As mentioned, $2,000 is the minimum spending point for decent ones on your car. All of the cheap budget ones, like BC, are garbage that aren't even worth their weight in dirt. Question the knowledge of anyone who recommends them to you, because people who know enough about suspension design won't (recommend them).

ST doesn't make them in his application, and they are also KW V1s in different damper bodies. KW V1s are $1,700 for his fitment and then he has to add top hats, so yes, $2,000 is the minimum.
All valid statements but like I said not everyone has or wants to spend $2000.

My first coils were cheap BC ones, I slammed the car, raised the car, and daily drove the car for almost a year and half and loved them. Slowly I started to hate the coilovers because they limited my car and performance. Slowly over time I saved enough money and now when I buy new coils I will buy proper ones.

I think personally it was worth spending $950 on the BC back then, driving the car that long, learning my car, learning more about what I want to do with the car, and then buying new coils. I enjoyed it a lot more saving up over time versus if I had not bought coilovers and stayed with stock suspension from then until now.

My .02 cents
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat

All valid statements but like I said not everyone has or wants to spend $2000.

My first coils were cheap BC ones, I slammed the car, raised the car, and daily drove the car for almost a year and half and loved them. Slowly I started to hate the coilovers because they limited my car and performance. Slowly over time I saved enough money and now when I buy new coils I will buy proper ones.

I think personally it was worth spending $950 on the BC back then, driving the car that long, learning my car, learning more about what I want to do with the car, and then buying new coils. I enjoyed it a lot more saving up over time versus if I had not bought coilovers and stayed with stock suspension from then until now.

My .02 cents
+1 on that one
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Thanks you guys for all the input. I'm definitely with Brandon here... I don't have 2k to drop on coils right now (I wouldn't be asking on here if I did), but I appreciate everyone's opinions. As of now, I'm looking at ISC coils. They seem to be a good little company, and FWIW, I hope to save for a really nice setup later on--these'll do for now!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 AM

Car Info: his wife crazy
A post made by a friend on ****-oc about coilovers.

Raceland Coilover Review - Page 4 - NASIOC

And BTW, his car is in my garage and it rides surprisingly well for being lowered on his '02 WRX.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by brewsky79
A post made by a friend on ****-oc about coilovers.

Raceland Coilover Review - Page 4 - NASIOC

And BTW, his car is in my garage and it rides surprisingly well for being lowered on his '02 WRX.
There is only one brand of coilovers on the market worse than these: Godspeed. Racelands perform worse and ride worse. The only reasons the Godspeeds are rated lower is because there are more of them on the road there are more reports of them breaking right off the mounting points (something the Racelands also do).

Last edited by Brfatal; 06-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: WTB: Coilover / Wheel setup for GR STi Sedan