Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Overboost solution?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Overboost solution?

I just bought my first subie in a 2006 wrx, has sti turbo, tmic, trust enchant, Invida dp, and other mods to make it run well.. But when I hit wot I over boost and the check engine light comes on and it almost chokes for a little then I take my foot off wot. Someone told me protune was the way to go, but then I heard about Clark turner tuning through te accesport. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that money is tight and I wanna buy other things. Anyoone have experience with Clark fixing over boost?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Trust exhaust sorry for typo.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 17 WRX
are you running the car untuned with those modifications right now?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Dude, tune ASAP... 06+07 will throw a check engine light with a downpipe and boost spike. With all your mods you need some kind of tune. Or run it like that and possibly blow your engine and not get the full potential of your mods.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 17 WRX
Originally Posted by Javirex23
Dude, tune ASAP... 06+07 will throw a check engine light with a downpipe and boost spike. With all your mods you need some kind of tune. Or run it like that and possibly blow your engine and not get the full potential of your mods.
^ this... if you are running those mods with no form of tune (Accessport, pro tune ect.) you will destroy your engine. do NOT drive your car anymore without a tune
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
If you are tuned and overboosting, what gear and RPM are you going WOT?

I overboost if I'm in fourth gear at 2,500 RPM and go WOT going up-hill. There's a large load on the engine and the IWG can't keep boost where it should be. Using third gear instead keeps it from overboosting. Part of the problem is the IWG not being able to flow enough exhaust gas past the turbine, second part of the problem is not being tuned for those boost levels it hits.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
If you don't get that fixed, you WILL be buying other things...like a rebuild. Definitely WOT is a bad idea.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM

I'm tuned on the ots map through Cobb for a vf39,
As far as exhaust over boost I'm not sure... It's hit and miss in different gears and I don't have a psi gauge only the bar one, so I'm working on coversions, but I'm not boosting right now in fear of blowing the motor. I have ordered a Clark turner tune, hopefully that fixes it. I was told it should from my neighbor who I will take his opinion on anything Subaru as he knows what he's doing.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by Will George
I'm tuned on the ots map through Cobb for a vf39,
As far as exhaust over boost I'm not sure... It's hit and miss in different gears and I don't have a psi gauge only the bar one, so I'm working on coversions, but I'm not boosting right now in fear of blowing the motor. I have ordered a Clark turner tune, hopefully that fixes it. I was told it should from my neighbor who I will take his opinion on anything Subaru as he knows what he's doing.
Why did you get a Clark turner tune when you have Paul at FW motorsports right near you?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Clark tune sscammed me... lol paid for tune. Got a base map and never finished it out for me. Told me to replace my fuel pump and injectors then wanted to charge me more to start off a new map. Live n learn
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Wastegate opening?
Is it only on inclines or everywhere?
Stop boosting asap.
Btw Welcome
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM

thanks for all the info guys.
ya i thought about going to Paul, but the Clark tuning was cheaper and hopefully it works just as well.
i have not been boosting, its really annoying haha i wanna go WOT so badly...
but i have to wait now for my accessport to get fixed by cobb. The USB connector on the dongle fell through, so i cant plug in. If anyone in the sac area has a dongle i could borrow that would be great.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Go to Paul. It will be money well spent and properly tuned.
You get what you pay for and if your going to do something (like tune your car) do it right the first time. If you cant afford to do the pro tune now will you be able to afford it after the Clark tune fails to live up the the claim and you end up in the same boat xhengmanx was in or worse the tune causes problems to your motor. Can you afford that?
Is saving a few bucks worth the risk?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
There's a lot of bad reviews about Clark. Why would you leave yourself open to problems? Doesn't make sense.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM

I've heard good things about Clark this is the first time I've heard something negative.
How much is a protune roughly?
Do you know if Clark would accept a return? He's only sent me the first map with instructions

Quick Reply: Overboost solution?