Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie Scoobie - need some help

Old 06-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i AT
Newbie Scoobie - need some help

What's good everyone, hoping someone can let me know what they think about the issues I've been having with my car. I'm a bit strapped for cash and want to get some idea of what's happening before spending on a diagnosis.

I have a 2006 AT Subaru Impreza 2.5i which I purchased in October '15. It started having some misfire issues but in February I replaced the right valve head gaskets, the O2 sensor and the fuel air sensor and started seafoaming the engine and tank regularly and things cleared up well. There are a couple of holes/leaks in the exhaust system that I had noted and been dealing with, but other than ****ty noise it wasn't a pressing issue.

FF to May. After getting an oil change and my AC system refilled I noticed that the muffler sound was a lot louder, almost as if the exhaust system had just disconnected underneath the front end of the car (likely culprit?). Still drove fine and I was going on a camping trip that weekend. That's when things started going sideways. I expected trying to drive up the mountain fully loaded would be a strain, but damn - we were only able to top out at about 35-40 the whole way up. Made sense to me given the 20% incline. The car seemed to drive normal but loud back from that trip. No ignition issues btw.

I then had to make a few trips back and forth from Stamford, CT to Philly in the following weeks, and that's when I started noticing the decrease in acceleration power, the struggle to switch gears on the low end, and the inability to stick with a gear properly on the high end. At this point the car tops out at about 80 (unless you're on a hill) and struggles to accelerate in the top 2 gears. But the worst part is when starting to move. From a dead stop I have to slam the gas all the way to the floor and it still takes around 3-4 seconds to move anything faster than a crawl. At that point the RPMs start to shoot up, the exhaust is hella loud, and and I'm barely getting to 20-30 mph. It finally switches to second gear after whining all the way up to around 5500-6000 rpms, and then second gear acceleration is better but still ****ty.

It's a used car, totally get that. You expect to have issues. But it dove way better than this when I bought it, and even better than that when I had a the gaskets and sensors done, so this is a pretty drastic change in quality. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is my tranny just kinda effed? Can lack of proper pressure from busted exhaust pipe be contributing? Does this sound like a fuel pressure/pump kinda thing?

Also, I just moved the the South NJ/Philly Area, so if anyone knows of any clubs around here lemme know!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by ChocoThunder89
What's good everyone, hoping someone can let me know what they think about the issues I've been having with my car. I'm a bit strapped for cash and want to get some idea of what's happening before spending on a diagnosis.

I have a 2006 AT Subaru Impreza 2.5i which I purchased in October '15. It started having some misfire issues but in February I replaced the right valve head gaskets, the O2 sensor and the fuel air sensor and started seafoaming the engine and tank regularly and things cleared up well. There are a couple of holes/leaks in the exhaust system that I had noted and been dealing with, but other than ****ty noise it wasn't a pressing issue.

FF to May. After getting an oil change and my AC system refilled I noticed that the muffler sound was a lot louder, almost as if the exhaust system had just disconnected underneath the front end of the car (likely culprit?). Still drove fine and I was going on a camping trip that weekend. That's when things started going sideways. I expected trying to drive up the mountain fully loaded would be a strain, but damn - we were only able to top out at about 35-40 the whole way up. Made sense to me given the 20% incline. The car seemed to drive normal but loud back from that trip. No ignition issues btw.

I then had to make a few trips back and forth from Stamford, CT to Philly in the following weeks, and that's when I started noticing the decrease in acceleration power, the struggle to switch gears on the low end, and the inability to stick with a gear properly on the high end. At this point the car tops out at about 80 (unless you're on a hill) and struggles to accelerate in the top 2 gears. But the worst part is when starting to move. From a dead stop I have to slam the gas all the way to the floor and it still takes around 3-4 seconds to move anything faster than a crawl. At that point the RPMs start to shoot up, the exhaust is hella loud, and and I'm barely getting to 20-30 mph. It finally switches to second gear after whining all the way up to around 5500-6000 rpms, and then second gear acceleration is better but still ****ty.

It's a used car, totally get that. You expect to have issues. But it dove way better than this when I bought it, and even better than that when I had a the gaskets and sensors done, so this is a pretty drastic change in quality. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is my tranny just kinda effed? Can lack of proper pressure from busted exhaust pipe be contributing? Does this sound like a fuel pressure/pump kinda thing?

Also, I just moved the the South NJ/Philly Area, so if anyone knows of any clubs around here lemme know!

Welcome to i-club! We are mostly active in the California sections of the forum. Nasioc has a slightly more active east coast section.

I moved to King of Prussia a couple years ago though. When is the last time you checked the ATF?

Feel free to post up here or PM me if you need some help looking at your car.

-W