Warning for non-stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 07:09 PM

Car Info: '99 OBS
Warning for non-stock exhaust

My buddy got pulled over not to long ago by a Mass state trooper while putting around umass in his jetta with a Magnaflow exhaust. This just happens to be the same exhaust I have on my Rex. Anyway, he got a warning for having a "non-stock exhaust." Is this really a tickable offense? Anyone heard of this?

Last edited by rabydanimal; 10-12-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:11 AM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Originally Posted by johnnywu
sorry new to the forum and amonth later, a reply... no in the state of ma its not illegal to have an after market exhaust that meets inspection standards. umass is tough... they are just keeping the peace (and quite)....
It is illegal in Ma, per inspection standards, to have an exhaust that is louder than stock.

No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

--kC
Old 11-03-2004, 05:19 PM

Wow, he got a ticket for having a muffler? I know some aftermarket mufflers are louder then stock, but they arent as loud as no muffler...
My cousin's jetta used to have no tailpipe, and it was friggin loud. It also didnt have a stock exhust system.
But as of like 2 weeks ago, the jetta no longer has a muffler. ...He sets off car alarms along his street.
He hasnt gotten pulled over once because of his exhaust...
He lives in CT and his next car inspections isnt for a while.