SRIC Mountain Bike Crew!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by pozzi
yeah, it's been a long time since i bought a fitted hat, but i thought i remembered 7 3/4" being the size i bought, but after trying this one on, i think it had to have been 7 1/4" and that was with shaggy skater hair from high school days.

this one falls over my ears like goofy boy.
Well I took a look at my Kings hat and it's 7 3/4", cuz dat's how I roll. Let me know when we can hook up and I'll buy it off you.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Well. I think I'm ready to go without my boot. The swelling in my foot has come down far enough (under Dr. recommendation to take ibuprofen for anti-inflammatory properties) to wear a shoe on my right foot. I put it on earlier, walked around in it without crutches. Felt good. I'm gonna go out tonight without my boot. I'll keep a crutch in the car as a backup, but it's a last resort.

I need to go buy new shoes though. The swelling is enough that my normal shoes are fairly tight, even in the ends (where my toes are). I hope I can find a pair of decent casual and business casual shoes in a .. 14
Old 10-13-2007, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
go to off broadway shoes in natomas. They have lots and lots of large size shoes. Check the clearance rack.
(this is deede)
Old 10-13-2007, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

FDLT, Sunday, 10:15 start at the lower lot in case anyone is interested.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Car Info: Outback & semi worn out van
Originally Posted by Lowball
FDLT, Sunday, 10:15 start at the lower lot in case anyone is interested.
I could have today, but I can't tomorrow. And I have to work all next weekend.

On Oct. 27 FATRAC is doing the Connector and Loop. I plan on doing that one. Hopefully you guys can join in.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
Originally Posted by nachomc
My ankle does feel a lot better though.
good to hear!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RandyB2
I could have today, but I can't tomorrow. And I have to work all next weekend.

On Oct. 27 FATRAC is doing the Connector and Loop. I plan on doing that one. Hopefully you guys can join in.
Don't know if I can hang with the FATRAC guys...from what I remember you said they ride pretty fast with not a lot of stopping to smell the roses

How many guys come out for the rides?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Don't know if I can hang with the FATRAC guys...from what I remember you said they ride pretty fast with not a lot of stopping to smell the roses

How many guys come out for the rides?
While they usually don't stop as often as we sometimes do, they still stop from time to time to wait for people to catch up. As for speed, the rides that I've been on have a few people lots faster than me and some lots slower than me with riders in between. I know that Bert, the guy I've ridden with several times lately, will be there. He rides about the same speed I do. I would expect there to be other people there riding a lot slower.

There are usually 8 to 12 people that show up for a ride. Lance, I think you would smoke almost all of them on the downhills.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

ooo, check me out. I ditched my boot the other day. I'm walking again "normally", at least without boot, crutch, cane, etc. And I can drive again!! I talked to my doctor, and my foot is going to be swollen for about a year. Hopefully it dies down before summer so I can wear biking shoes again, otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Yesterday, riding FDLT, I finally realized why I'll never get better at climbing. Climbing takes ENDURANCE, and endurance is something earned. I only ride one day a week, which IMO is not enough to build endurance...maybe I better switch to road biking to build some endurance...

One guy did suggest that I get a 23lb. bike like a Blur or something
Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

That's why I was doing so much road riding. Just pushing the bike along at 17-20mph for 20-30 miles really did a lot for my climbing ability. Riding to work made a huge difference (50 miles a day). It's not as fun as mtb but sure does help.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Yesterday, riding FDLT, I finally realized why I'll never get better at climbing. Climbing takes ENDURANCE, and endurance is something earned. I only ride one day a week, which IMO is not enough to build endurance...maybe I better switch to road biking to build some endurance...
The way to build endurance is to ride for longer periods of time and more often. It can be on either a road bike or a mountain bike. It's probably easier on a road bike because it's closer to home so you can probably do it more often. Be forewarned, falling on the road usually causes a lot more damage than on a MTB.

To me, riding a MTB a hour around Auburn is like an hour and a half or more on a road bike because of the effort put out on the hills. So the 2 hour plus ride we do on FHDL is like close to what 4 hours would be like on a road bike.

I used to take a road bike with me to work and ride after work. That enabled me to ride more than just one day a week. On the weekends I used to do 70 to 100 mile rides and would ride for up to 8 hours.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
Well I took a look at my Kings hat and it's 7 3/4", cuz dat's how I roll. Let me know when we can hook up and I'll buy it off you.
PM'd hero.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RandyB2
The way to build endurance is to ride for longer periods of time and more often. It can be on either a road bike or a mountain bike. It's probably easier on a road bike because it's closer to home so you can probably do it more often. Be forewarned, falling on the road usually causes a lot more damage than on a MTB.

To me, riding a MTB a hour around Auburn is like an hour and a half or more on a road bike because of the effort put out on the hills. So the 2 hour plus ride we do on FHDL is like close to what 4 hours would be like on a road bike.

I used to take a road bike with me to work and ride after work. That enabled me to ride more than just one day a week. On the weekends I used to do 70 to 100 mile rides and would ride for up to 8 hours.
Yeah I use to ride bikes all the time and have had a couple of road bikes. Currently I have a Schwinn Paramount with Shimano 600 (if that tells you how old the bike is) that I got off my dad for $100 bucks. So its got a ton of miles cuz that dude rides like a mad man with Walt (60+ dude that came MTB with us that one time). Don't know how much time I'll have during the week, which is part of the problem...hence only riding on day on the weekend.

Don't think I'll have 4hrs to spend on a road bike after work. Maybe I get an indoor trainer to hook the skinny on.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Exclamation Race For Tara -Nov 17th

Got Tara's info from nachomc's site. Saw this today on her Myspace link. Maybe we can go down and support...

http://www.racefortara.com/

Race Info -Nov 17th Rain or Shine

(in the event of a flood of Biblical proportions, etc the event will be rescheduled -check website for updates)

The race is being held at and hosted by Sand Hill Ranch in Brentwood, CA. http://www.prsports.com

The race is being run by Gravity Addix, http://www.gravityaddix.com

Race details: 4x (four-cross) event.

There will also be plenty of stuff to ride for fun, including a slalom course.

There will be a raffle with products donated by our sponsors. tickets will be $1.(100% of sales goes to Tara) all registered riders will get a ticket with entry.

There will be a BBQ -proceeds also to benefit Tara

Pre registered rider check-in & practice starts at 8:00 am. Race day registration/practice starts at 9:00 am. Race day registration END'S at 10:00. ALL PRACTICE ENDS AT 10:45 AM

Quick Reply: SRIC Mountain Bike Crew!