Old 02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I hate TOFU!!!

JKJK. Haha.

Let's see who else is game.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 1995 Legacy L wgn & 1995 Legacy Brighton wgn
depends on which tuesday. i'm not free at all on the 13th.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Yeah... it would probably be the 13th. Let me know if your friend wants the wheel. I can meet up with you or him somewhere. Will be around this weekend. Next weekend, will be back at home doing an install fest.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
ill see if some of our fairfield guys want to come, we ate there two weeks ago and they only had two people working, and the total number or teeth between the two of them was about 6 so you might want to call ahead or come prepared to wait an hour lol
Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Yeah. Sounds good. Let's say about 7:30. We can all meet inside. There is a Napa across the street where we can park if the main lot becomes full. We can figure it out next week.

Just remember, we are meeting inside. Let's try not to stand outside by the cars, and no hood popping. If cops come in, we'll just say we are part of the photography club and that we had to park on the other side of the city or something.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 AM

you know what? i just checked my schedule again and i might be able to make it on the 13th after all. i might not be able to get there until closer to 8:00, but that's not set in stone.

just so everyone knows, i did some research and it turns out that if we do get pinched again, California State Law does indeed state that if an officer asks to see your ID and Registration, you must surrender such documentation or face arrest. however, this only applies to traffic stops, as in moving violations. a cop rolling up on you while you're just standing around next to your car is not performing a traffic stop, there's another term for that which i can't recall at the moment.

and as far as searching your car, popping your hood, etc. without your expressed permission (IE: you opening the doors for them), they must have probable cause to do so, or a warrant specifically giving them permission to perform such a search. if they have neither (and again, standing around by your car--no matter what it looks like on the outside--is not probable cause. a popped hood on the other hand...), then it is your right to refuse that request. and don't tell them that they can search your car themselves, because that is the same thing as giving them permission to do so. the best thing to tell the cops is that they may search the car on their own terms, but that you do not give them permission to do so. this way, unless they can show probable cause (for which they have to go to court and testify) or have a warrant (which again requires them to go to court, but before-hand), they are legally not allowed to enter your vehicle for purposes of a search and/or seizure.

the lesson here: don't just kowtow to cops. they might just be doing their job, but that doesn't mean that they're doing it right. we as citizens have rights, and we are free to excercise them if we see fit.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 AM

So... technically, Manny was within his rights when he asked why, right?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
i should be able to make it on tuesday
Old 02-08-2007, 02:12 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by that one legacy
or have a warrant (which again requires them to go to court, but before-hand), they are legally not allowed to enter your vehicle for purposes of a search and/or seizure.
they can get warrants faxed strait to the car as of 1994 if i recall =D
Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
any cops that ever roll by us usually compliment us, like at gst on dyno day lol
Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Keep in mind that "probable cause" is a joke after all the streetracing crackdowns in the last couple years. Trying to stand on that to prevent a search is pointless. If you've got weed in the car or something (dumbass ), you might be able to stand on your defense of not giving your permsission so it might stand up in court, but as far as mods go, bend over and take it.

Lowered? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Aftermarket rims? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Tinted? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Different lights? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Exhaust? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Body kits, wings, spoilers? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Hood popped? Probable cause for illegal mods.

Yeah, it sucks.
Yeah, it's profiling.

But fighting it with the man on the street is a losing battle because he has the upper hand, and he can't back down when you challenge him as it represents a reduction of his authority. That's just the way it goes. Get a ticket, fight it, the circle continues.

Or, you know, just drive a wagon.
I got popped for 86 in a 65 on 80 through Fairfield a few months ago, by plane, and the ground officer didn't verify my speed. Was polite, got the officer's statement about how my speed was gathered, and took the ticket so I could fight it through the system (and most likely win) due to all kinds of technicalities you can claim. No hood pop, no questions about mods, just a "be safe" and I was on my way. Big brakes, loud exhaust (used to be even louder), slammed, gold wheels, all lights replaced, HID's; just about every thing they're supposedly "looking for" and that's the first time I had *ever* been pulled over or hassled in that car. That's after 7 years of driving it.

Don't confront an agent of the system, use/sidestep the system, you'll get much better results in the end.

But hey, what do I know?

Last edited by sybir; 02-08-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Yeah...

Okay... so.

Tuesday, Feb. 13th, 2007
about 7:15PM
Redrum Burger just off of 80.

http://www.daviswiki.org/Redrum_Burger

There's a menu there as well as an addy and all that good stuff.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by darkonion
So... technically, Manny was within his rights when he asked why, right?
technically speaking, he did have the right to know why he was being asked to present his license/registration, but if he had outright refused to show it, then the police would have had a legitimate reason to take him into custody.

this would be true IF this had been a traffic stop. since it wasn't, but technically did involve cars, the whole situation gets a bit muddy.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
they can get warrants faxed strait to the car as of 1994 if i recall =D
that's true, but i do believe that the courts still have to be open and with operational staff on shift. and they still have to show cause beforehand.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by sybir
Keep in mind that "probable cause" is a joke after all the streetracing crackdowns in the last couple years. Trying to stand on that to prevent a search is pointless. If you've got weed in the car or something (dumbass ), you might be able to stand on your defense of not giving your permsission so it might stand up in court, but as far as mods go, bend over and take it.

Lowered? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Aftermarket rims? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Tinted? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Different lights? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Exhaust? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Body kits, wings, spoilers? Probable cause for illegal mods.
Hood popped? Probable cause for illegal mods.

Yeah, it sucks.
Yeah, it's profiling.

But fighting it with the man on the street is a losing battle because he has the upper hand, and he can't back down when you challenge him as it represents a reduction of his authority. That's just the way it goes. Get a ticket, fight it, the circle continues.

Or, you know, just drive a wagon.
I got popped for 86 in a 65 on 80 through Fairfield a few months ago, by plane, and the ground officer didn't verify my speed. Was polite, got the officer's statement about how my speed was gathered, and took the ticket so I could fight it through the system (and most likely win) due to all kinds of technicalities you can claim. No hood pop, no questions about mods, just a "be safe" and I was on my way. Big brakes, loud exhaust (used to be even louder), slammed, gold wheels, all lights replaced, HID's; just about every thing they're supposedly "looking for" and that's the first time I had *ever* been pulled over or hassled in that car. That's after 7 years of driving it.

Don't confront an agent of the system, use/sidestep the system, you'll get much better results in the end.

But hey, what do I know?
oh i actually agree with you. if you are legitimately pulled over by a police officer, then just go with the flow, fight the citation in court. the situation we were talking about was something completely different. we weren't doing anything illegal, they just came up and basically gang-raped us for hanging out in a parking lot. yes there were highly modified cars present, but a highly modified car parked in a parking lot is not probable cause for anything other than being parked in that parking lot.

that being said, after the fact i wonder how things might have turned out if people had actually exercised their rights to refuse the searches. maybe two people there actually had illegal engine mods, the rest of the cars were legal despite what those cops said (oh except for those power-adding rear strut bars!). if they had towed anyone's cars, they would have lost in court because it was an illegal search and seizure to begin with. true, the crackdown on modified cars and street racing in general would have complicated things for us, but in the end, they can't cite you for illegal mods that you don't have.

of course, having our cars towed would have been a very bad thing for most of us, so i guess in the end it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Feb. '07 Davis Murder Burger Meet?