97 Outback Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback
97 Outback Suspension Upgrades

I have a 97 outback that is getting the motor rebuilt thanks to a belt tensionor pulley that disintegrated.

I'm getting the head ported/polished, new valved and associated parts redone, milling of the head to increase compression, maybe a 5-angle valve job, and ACT Street Cluth with lightened flyewheel. Regardless of what all I can squeeze out of the dealer for free (the mechanic is best friends w/ the father of the performance shop, so he may get a deal) I need to look for upgraded suspension components.

I don't necessarily want to lower the ride height as I take the car on questionable roads from time to time (2 weeks out of the year on mountain gravel roads in canada, and curbs , but I want the performance from springs that lower the car. I realize there's a trade-off to be had, but what's the best option to keep next-to-stock clearance without "slamming" the outback. I knew there was some one in these forums who did a tasateful suspension upgrade and posted pics, speak up please!

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback
I thought that non-outback suspension upgrades wont work with an Outback due to it's different geometries.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
DLC

Car Info: 2000 Leg GT LTD
Performance stock-height springs don't normally exist. In your situation, the only way to improve handling would be to replace the worn struts with new ones, which should help out a lot. There may be some Australian options for springs, however. Most people with Outbacks who want performance simply swap over to a non-OB suspension and go from there.