93 AWD legacy problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 1993 Legacy AWD Turbo
Arrow 93 AWD legacy problem

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums, but i've always found my best information forums for anything. I sought these out in hopes of finding a solution.

I've almost bought a 93 legacy AWD turbo sedan, automatic trans. 270k on it. now, there's one problem.

from what i've been told by the owner (my girlfriends father - very trustworthy guy - wouldn't sell me a lemon)

there's a problem with the AWD, there's a part near the rear end of the car (he doen't know much about cars, so this is as detailed as I could get out of him), that's broken, essentially turning the car into a front wheel drive. However, once in awhile, if he stomps on it off the line, he'll feel/hear a clunk, and the rear wheels are powered all of a sudden.

any ideas on what it could be? what it might be worth to fix (please let me know if you're using US$ or CAD$), etc.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by brendonsait; 09-21-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
DLC

Car Info: 2000 Leg GT LTD
I had this happen on my 93 after about...125k. My solution? Swap in a 5MT from a Turbo. The price for getting the automatic replaced, which would be recommended along with the rebuilding/replacing of the AWD section, was as much, if not more, than all of my parts, including a lightweight flywheel, uprated clutch/pressure plate and the labor to install it.

I will tell you that even the stock car, in FWD, with turbo torque, does not do well in the snow. If this factors at all into your situation, then i'd consider avoiding it unless you plan on replacing the transmission in the very near future.

Otherwise, they're great cars. Check http://bbs.legacycentral.org for more info.