03' LGT Wagon suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 10:25 AM
K1

Car Info: 03 Legacy GT Wagon
03' LGT Wagon suspension upgrade

It has been awhile since I've posted.
Apologies to the folks I spoke with a while back at one of the iclub meet in Sacto. Sorry I've forgotten your names.

I've been dragging my feet on this. Need to update my wagon's suspension. Quite sure the passenger side strut is slowly dying, along with old top hat. I've replaced the tie rods, both CV axels, engine and tranny mounts and both front lower control mount bushings (OEM parts). The car still feels like it has loose steering at highway speed with some steering shimmy. Wheels balanced.

Been considering the Tein Flex Z coilovers vs. BC coilovers.
The Tein website is quite confusing. The 2000-2004 BH model doesn't have any listing. But it was suggested the BP model Tein is compatible but requires a WRX top hat. Any idea what year WRX? and what spring rate you all recommend?
I also have been looking at the BC coilovers primarily due to it being re-buildable and customizable. And seems BC does make suspension for the BH series.

The car is a daily driver and won't see any track time. Not wanting to lower it more than1" or so (need to clear steep driveways etc). Like the idea of a compliant ride, especially with our crappy Sacto roads. The car has light weight wheels 17 lbs with good Michelins; so handing is important to me for the occasional mountain back roads. As of now the KYB fronts and Bilstien HD rears with OEM spring all around (all about 70Kmi), the ride quality is pretty crappy for a car it's size: lots of sharp impact through the cabin, okay handing, moderate body roll/ dive, good grip.

Any first hand experience(s) greatly appreciated.