Door Panel Removal (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Car Info: Sline
Door Panel Removal (Pics)

Tonight I was bored and decided to attempt to remove my passenger's side door panel to see why my speaker was not working. After about 45 minutes, I got the door panel removed, and the speaker replaced. I decided to make a tutorial with the driver's side door. The following is a step by step with some pictures.

Tools:
I used 2 different sized Philip's head screw drivers, a flathead, and a 2mm Alan wrench for speaker removal.

Step 1: There are 3 screws and 1 plug that need to be removed first. One of the screws is hidden behind the armrest controls. This is easily accessed by sliding a flat head screw driver under and gently lifting up.

lifted controls:

Step 2: You must also pry off the triangle at the top of the door. This can be easily done with your flathead screwdriver. (view picture)

Step 3: Once you have removed the 3 screws, plug, and triangle, you can begin popping the door panel off. I recommend starting at the back bottom corner, as this seemed to be the easiest place to get under the panel. Next go up the backside, then work your way forward from the bottom. Gently pull on the door gradually applying pressure until the panel pops off. Going too fast may result in broken plugs. The picture below shows the panel off the door, note the spacing of the plugs.

Step 4: Once the door panel is popped off, you need to lift it up off the window sill. One the whole panel is loose, pull back to unlock the door handle case. Next you must rotate the panel to get the door handle through the hole in the panel. Use your hand to help push the case through the panel.

Step 5: The wires to the window controls, etc. are hard to remove, so I left them attached, to work on my speaker, I turned the panel sideways, leaned it up against the door's front triangle area and the bottom on the foot rail.

I also recommend reattaching the door handle to the door.

Step 6 - Speaker Removal: The speaker is attached with torx screws. If you don't have a torx screwdriver small enough that can fit in the tight area, you can use a 2mm Alan wrench instead.

Step 7: Now with the old speaker out, it's time for the new one. The new speaker I have did not fit as snug as the OEM's, so I used the provided 1in. long screws. This worked well, I had no depth issue with the glass and the speaker magnet.

Memphis M6 next to the OEM Speaker:

Step 8 - Panel Replacement: To put the panel back on, first pull the door handle case back through the hole, then hang the panel on the window sill. Before reattaching the plugs, push the handle case forward, then in so that it locks back into the door. You can check this by seeing if the screw holes are lined up. Next replace the door handle screw as an "anchor". Now you can resnap all the plugs into the door, this is easily done with a good tap along the door's edge. Make sure the panel is firmly back on the door before replacing the screws. I recommend starting with the screw behind the armrest controls, then the armrest screw itself. Finally, replace the triangle at the top.

Door handle case:

Armrest Control screws:

Completed project:

NOTE: This is my first tutorial I've written, any comments (good or bad) are much appreciated. All the pictures from my project can be viewed here. I hope it helped.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
good job jack!