Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

STi RHD Projector Beam Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Car Info: full race 02 Prodrive widebody with 2.5 Cosworth
I know its been a while but Alex, where did you come across those headlights, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Bump from the dead

Okay - so there is a clear plastic shield that goes on the outside of the headlight. And then there is the black "8)" piece that surrounds the turn signal and the low beam projector lens:

Can the piece that is metal in that picture ^^ be separated from the clear plastic part?

In other words - if you have a set of STi projectors with scuffed plastic, but clean internals, can you swap a plastic shield from another headlight over and preserve the internals?

Thanks,
John
Old 12-30-2005, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Wagon Ltd.
Bump so that people can find this
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
thanks alex... for those of you that are weary on the oven deal a heat gun may be a little easier. none the less so far most methods work... good luck and dont rush!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 02' PSM WRX
Does anyone have pictures of the beam patterns compared? I can't understand how they can be that different. The lights on my car point directly in front of my car, or so it seems? Do they point up more on the JDM ones or what?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
They are way higher on the drivers side and taper down to a low point on the passenger...exactly the opposite of what you want when driving on US roads. I just upgraded to JDM HID's and i blind people bad...gonna try this mod probably tomorrow or the next day. I'll put up pics of before and after beam patterns...hope it works. Them on the car right now:

Old 06-16-2007, 08:37 PM

i tried the mod and it didn't work. just so people will know, the pics are of the jdm hid lights. the non hid's do not look the same. the cutoff shields are totally different. in the end, i had the shield grinded down completely flat and it wasn't worth a damn. you can see what modding the non hid light looks like. the driver side light was lowered to match the stock light on the right. by doing this, you cause a lot of glare off the chrome cup in the low beam. you can see the reflection on the garage door.
Attached Thumbnails STi RHD Projector Beam Modification-picture-003.jpg  
Old 06-16-2007, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I talked to lightwerkz and he did not recommend grinding for that ^^ reason exactly. Just gonna deal with it for now i guess.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM

yup, i dealt with caesar already and he did a tsx retro for my jdm lights. he probably told you not to do it cause he saw my pictures. non hid's don't work out
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
you know what why not just take both the lights out and switch the internals?? should that work since they are the same
Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by toberdorf
I talked to lightwerkz and he did not recommend grinding for that ^^ reason exactly. Just gonna deal with it for now i guess.
better late than never i guess
you are better off making a new cut off shield that will be the same height as the old one. grinding it down it will create problems.

what internals are you talking about switching? the jdm rhd hid's and what?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
just the whole lens assembly just switch them

Quick Reply: STi RHD Projector Beam Modification