Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

window switch problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
window switch problem!

My passenger side window switch recently stopped working. First on the passenger side, and now the switch that controls in from the drivers side stopped working too. It's not the motor, the window went up and down fine until the switch stopped working.

So, I took off the panel that holds all the window/lock switches on the driver's door. My question is, is there any way to take apart the white box that has all the contacts for the switches?? I couldn't find any way to take it apart. I think the contacts just have some grim/dust on them, and maybe that's why they aren't working.

Is there any way to clean the contacts, or do I just need to buy a whole new unit?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Just talked to a Subaru dealer and the driver's window switch unit costs $160! Anyone out there taken one of these apart?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
To take the switch assembly apart requires a lot of desoldering. And even then if you do get it apart, the switches themselves are soldered to the circuit board and are not readily disassembled. I don't recommend messing with it unless you really know what you are doing, and the problem may or may not be the switch contacts. They generally do not fail although anything is possible.
You should be able to get one of these in a junkyard, they are essentially the same for any Impreza from '02-'05 at least and maybe up to '07. Also check the classifieds here and at NASIOC for part-outs.