Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Tow Hitch w/Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 05 STi WRB
Tow Hitch w/Aftermarket Exhaust

I race bikes and needed to carry my bikes on my 05 STi.

With a stock exhaust the Draw Tite http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/ tow hitch fitted very nicely although I did need long hangers to clear the exhaust. I recently purchased the Vishnu Stealthback exhaust which while subtle, is larger than stock (did I mention it makes the most beautiful noise and gives me 375 lb/ft out of my puny Friday engine according to Shiv).

I purchased the Da'Lan hitch http://www.izoomgraphics.com/ which has a much higher clearance over the exhaust. Adam at LIC did his usual amazing job on the install (he has pics if you are interested, I'll take some when it stops raining) and with long hangers my Stealthback fits nicely. He needed to cut a tiny piece out of the rear bumber but it can only be seen from under the car.

The hitch tucks up out of the way and you can hardly see it. I just put my rack on when I need to carry the bike and leave it off the rest of the time.

Just thought I'd let you know about other options for carrying stuff on your STi (or WRX for that matter) as I think the roof or trunk mounted racks can sometimes leave marks (and putting my bike on takes 2 secs as opposed to 10 minutes with my hands above my head).
Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
nice.

LIC does another great job. I have never heard anyone having a bad experience going to them.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Ryan, I would recommend them for anything.

They have fixed stuff Gruppe-S did to my car (missing grease and wheels torqued to 30, 30, 120 and 50, I guess the average was close!), installed rotors, lines, pads, exhaust and springs. They are great fun to be around and very professional.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 AM

Of all the hitches I looked at, the oem Subaru one had the most exhaust clearance. They were out of stock when I was looking, so I got the Draw-tite at last minute before a road trip to Whistler. It barely clears my APS exhaust with the long Kartboy hangers. The tip essentially rests on the hitch, which is potentially detrimental if the exhaust ever scrapes anything.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 AM

According to the boys at LIC, the Da'Lan and Subaru OEM hitch are virtually identical (just one is $100 less than the other). Both use a narrower (but still pretty solid) strip of metal over the exhaust, whereas the Draw-tite retains the same thickness of metal throughout (just bending it slightly over the exhaust). As a result I think Da'Lan and Subaru have a good 1 inch more clearance.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 2007 STI
I'm looking to instal a tow-hitch to my WRX for bikes as well.

I have a pretty large exhaust though & don't know if a hitch will fit. It's a Fujitsubo Power Getter (Here's a pic).

Do you think the Da'lan hitch would clear my exhaust? (definetely want to know before ordering the hitch) Thanks!

Last edited by TQuintin; 06-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Also... what kind of bike rack are you using on your hitch?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Here's a pic of how much clearance the exhaust has from the bumper as well. Not sure if this helps.

Last edited by TQuintin; 06-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM

I have the Vishnu Stealth (made by Magnaflow I think). 3" turbo-back.

That said, it's not so much the diameter of the pipe as the clearance so your last picture is helpful. The clearance depends on the length of your hangers and where the horizontal hanging "pins" are positioned on the exhaust system (usually at 3 and 9 o'clock but occasionally a little higher).

I have exactly 4.75cm from the outside of the bumper cutout to the top of the pipe. I assume our bumpers are the same so that measurement gives an reference for overall bodywork clearance (I couldn't get a tape in there to measure the actual distance between pipe and underside of bodywork).

Anyway, with that clearance I have exactly 0.5cm between the top of the exhaust and the tow hitch. It's very tight, I wouldn't want it much closer than that. I had to use long rigid hangers (as any "wobbling" would cause the exhaust to hit).

I wouldn't want the exhaust to hang any lower as it looks crap already (sacrifice I had to make to carry my bikes, with stock hangers it tucks really nicely under the bumper but the hitch wouldn't fit).

Take those measurements and see what you get.

I use the Sportworks rack from REI, very pleased with it.

Lemme know if you need anything, PM me and I can send photos of my setup if that helps.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Nice! Thanks for the info. I'll take some measurements to see what I get.