Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

how to stop windshield from fogging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
how to stop windshield from fogging?

hey guys i searched and found two threads that werent too helpful.

my question is, lately, my windshield fogs up a lot, and i would prefer not to run the defroster because it turns on the AC and since its winter, its cold, and also, i hate the feeling of the AC draining my power. So i was wondering what tips and tricks you guys have to elminiate the fogging. I mean, when its bad enough that i cant see, i'll use the defroster ofcourse, and that gets rid of the fogging, but once i turn it off, it'll start fogging again.

do you guys have any products that work? or any tips on how to get rid of fogging without having the AC suck the life and power out of my WRX?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:59 PM

Car Info: Hyundai Pony
i remember when i used to play ice hockey, people with the plastic visors on their helmets would use an anti-fogging spray on to keep it clear.. I personally haven't tried any products, however they are out there and they seem to work somewhat..
Old 11-12-2004, 02:09 PM

Bump!... this thread should be a sticky...

& from what I've heard, the constant fogging is from the impreza having relitively thin glass.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
nite time bump, still lookin for the experts out there! =)
Old 11-13-2004, 02:12 AM

Car Info: 2002 Sedona Red & Metallic Impreza OBS
Turn on the A/C. Supposedly it takes all the moister out of the air...I even tried it with the heat up and it actually worked for me.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:57 AM

Car Info: 2001 Sedona Red OBS / 2016 FXT Touring
initially i turn the ac on warm, not cold, then i turn the ac off but leave it venting. This works all the time for me. Also keep the inside of your windshield clean, when its dirty it fogs up alot faster. finally, keep the air ******, you call friends outta your ride , they fog your windows up fast, stank up your car and make you roll down the windows you just cleaned.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:55 AM

One of the reasons the windshield fogs up is due to the release of gases from the plastic bits on the inside of our cars. Combined with dirt and smog, it can make the glass fog up more in the winter months. Clean the inside of your windshield completely. Clean your dash and door panels. Do NOT use a petrolium based or silicone based protectant like armor all. It will increase the amount of fogging on your glass.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
As far as preventing it from fogging, you can buy anti-fog stuff. Scuba divers use it all the time on their masks, and I've seen it once in an auto store (don't know why I've only seen it once). You can also use shaving cream or shampoo, (and I've heard toothpaste too, nice minty smell ) They don't work quite as well as good antifoggent, (mainly they don't last as long) but they certainly work, however, with the shaving cream, I find it hard to make it totally clear, you end up with very small streaks (which are only noticeable when heading towards light at night, but still highly annoying), unless you buff it in a ton, which is annoying, and kinda hard. When I SCUBA dive, I use shampoo, which works just as well as the 10-dollars-for-barely-any-anitfoggent stuff I bought for it. That's pretty much all I've tried/know about it. If anyone can recommend anything better that'd be awesome, otherwise; I'm sticking to the afforementioned. Hope that helped some! GL
Old 11-15-2004, 05:36 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Whatever you use, stay away from Rain-X anti-fog, you'll never get rid of the streaks.

When it fogs in my car, I just bite the bullet and turn on the defroster vents. The car takes a performance hit from the compressor but I kinda need to see...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:24 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Originally Posted by Odeezie
Turn on the A/C. Supposedly it takes all the moister out of the air...I even tried it with the heat up and it actually worked for me.

Bingo...The A/C removes moiser from the air by running it through a condersor and the it gets heated making it the perfect quick solution to fog. You don't need to leave the ac on for the whole time, just till the fog goes away, then put it on vent and you should be all set.