Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

how to install STI shifter Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:03 AM

how to install STI shifter Trim

Dear All
I would like to thank my lovely Brother who is also my best friend for his gift, the WRX shift **** .
You will find here how I installed the STI shifter Trim.
First remove the old gear **** just screw it and it will become lose then apply some small force to take it out from the leather.
Second remove the lower part of the console you will need to unscrew the cigarette lighter wire. Now you can take everything at your home.
Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  18.3 KB
Third remove the leather from the plastic square as this plastic piece have an upper lip that will take the place of the new STI shifter trim. You can cut it with a kitchen scissor and then use a Rasp to finish it off.
Name:  2a.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  24.2 KB
Forth glow the leather back as it was to the plastic trim and install it back on the car console
Name:  3a.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  20.7 KB
Fifth use another hand in doing this hold the STI Shifter trim in its right place and use a small needle to cut the leather a small holes for the trim screws. Then use a bigger one to make the hole a little bigger. That way when you put the nails, the leather will make a resistant so the nails can come with some force and stay there.
Sixth the put everything back on and you will get the final result.
Name:  4a.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  22.1 KB
I also thought of putting some plastic stick to make it harder but I found that I do not want it what I did I found that some of the screw heads cannot go down because of the plastic square so I have to cut in it a little bit to allow for the screw cap to work.
Name:  5a.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  33.6 KB
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Car Info: Hybrid
Originally Posted by hossamk
Dear All
I would like to thank my lovely Brother who is also my best friend for his gift, the WRX shift **** .
You will find here how I installed the STI shifter Trim.
First remove the old gear **** just screw it and it will become lose then apply some small force to take it out from the leather.
Second remove the lower part of the console you will need to unscrew the cigarette lighter wire. Now you can take everything at your home.

Third remove the leather from the plastic square as this plastic piece have an upper lip that will take the place of the new STI shifter trim. You can cut it with a kitchen scissor and then use a Rasp to finish it off.

Forth glow the leather back as it was to the plastic trim and install it back on the car console

Fifth use another hand in doing this hold the STI Shifter trim in its right place and use a small needle to cut the leather a small holes for the trim screws. Then use a bigger one to make the hole a little bigger. That way when you put the nails, the leather will make a resistant so the nails can come with some force and stay there.
Sixth the put everything back on and you will get the final result.

I also thought of putting some plastic stick to make it harder but I found that I do not want it what I did I found that some of the screw heads cannot go down because of the plastic square so I have to cut in it a little bit to allow for the screw cap to work.
Thanks for the post! Where did you buy the plastic universal trim pieces for the bottom?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Thanks for the 5 year bump. That user probably doesn't even post on the forums anymore
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
^ My pleasure! Just using the search link to find answers to my problem...