Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HOW TO FIX a wagon's cargo area blind??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
Unhappy HOW TO FIX a wagon's cargo area blind??

Hi, anyone ever fix the wagon rear cargo area blind? Am talking about the blind that pulls out to hide the cargo area contents. Mine has lost it springiness and I can’t seem to wind it up so that it starts retracting automatically back onto the roll. Any ideas how to fix it??

More accurately the springiness is still there as when I wind it up on the roll it continuously wants to unwind. When I finally get it on and then pull it out over the cargo area, it doesn’t want to wind back up again grrrrrrrrr.

Here’s a shot of the end, It’s from a '95 GX Wagon

Cheers, Dan

Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
Buy a new one?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
VRWRX, now that just sounds way too easy

Anyway I had a fiddle with the blind today and worked out how to fix it.

First use a 2mm diameter rod/screwdriver to push the end locating pins out of the plastic ends. These pins hold these plastic ends onto the metal tube which contains the spring which winds the blind back onto the roll.

Once you've done this at both ends, take the metal C-clamps off which hold the vinyl cover onto the metal tube. Then mark the metal tube ends, plastic ends and vinyl cover ends with a marker so you put it all back in the right orientation.

Take the vinyl cover off the tube and put the plastic ends back onto the metal tube. Insert 2mm diameter screwdrivers through the locating pins so that you can use the screwdrivers to stop the sprung end of the metal roller from unwinding when you wind the spring up.

Now stand the tube up on the floor and wind the tube up in the direction in which it would normally turn (mark this before disassembly) when unwinding the vinyl blind. Once you feel that that the spring (spring is only present on the right hand side of blind) is well wound and is getting hard to turn let the plastic ends spring out (while holding tube from unwinding) thus locking the winding mechanism so that it doesn’t unwind the spring.

Once the spring is wound, put the metal roll on the floor and put the vinyl blind back onto the tube following the marks you placed on it earlier, followed by the metal C-clamps (one at eother end and one in the middle of the tube) to allow the viny to turn with the metal tube. Then place the plastic ends onto the metal tube, finally pushing the locating pins through the plastic ends/metal tube ends. Now that it’s all together, press the plastic ends towards each other at the same time and the viny blind will automatically wind onto the blind tube!! :RockOn - not mine:

Seeing that the metal tube only has a spring in one end and the ends are not connected w a solid inner rod, every time you take the blind off the boot area the spring unwinds by a few degrees, thus over the years losing its ability to effectively wind the blind back onto the roll.

Hope this helps