Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HOW TO: add extra lights to the security blinker

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
HOW TO: add extra lights to the security blinker

Ever wanted to make a more obvious blinky light for your stock security system? Here's what I figured out last...

From the power supply routing, a line goes directly to the blinky security LED in the Combination meter. This LED then goes directly to the security module. The security modules, when armed, oscillates a switch to ground, making the LED blink. So last night I cut that wire, spliced in some extra wire with another LED in the middle and voila! more, obviously alarm blinky blinky!

So, looking down at the security module, towards the passenger side, the two last wires on top are red and then brown (whatever the striping if any, I don't recall off hand and the main colors are obvious enough). The red wire is this line coming from the combination meter:

The anode goes towards the combo meter and the cathode goes towards the security module. If it doesnt work the first time, switch it around And don't crimp or solder until you've test it and made sure its right

I tried this with an LED (i forget its rating) that was SUPER BRIGHT w/ a 9v battery. I haven't put my mutlimeter in line to the red wire, but I'm suspecting its maybe 4 volts at best since the LED was certainly coming on, but not that beautiful blinding light Have fun!

Oh and thanx to Ed (hokusai) for giving me the idea to figured this out

jason
Old 02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I have the factory alarm and NO BLINKY LIGHT. Did I get screwed? Where is the original light, somewhere on the dash?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:15 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally posted by meilers
I have the factory alarm and NO BLINKY LIGHT. Did I get screwed? Where is the original light, somewhere on the dash?
it is on the gauge cluster itself below the spedometer
Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Heheh yeah, arm your syste and then stand for at least a few seconds and watch the combo meter. Its a very lazy blink

heheh no offense, but that gave me a good chuckle

jason
Old 02-09-2004, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a Ford
no problemo!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

I'm not kidding, I actually don't have the light. I can see the "pushout" in the dash where the light should be, but there is no LED in the hole -- just a die-cut where it should be installed. Guess my installer was too lazy to put it in!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:47 PM
VIP Member

pushout? what are you talking about? Its on on a circuit board, i believe, inside the combo meter. It runs under the horizontal black strip right under the speedometer, dead center. I think you are still looking in the wrong place.

See the picture I have attached? That red mark I painted in the picture is where the slowly blinking light is. It might be harder to see in the day time.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: add extra lights to the security blinker-0031_white_face.jpg  
Old 02-09-2004, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

I just walked out to the car (which is in the dark, so the blinker should be easy to see) and no blink. Looks like I have something to talk to the dealer about at my next oil change!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Are you sure you have the factory alarm? Keyless entry is standard, the security option isn't. Open the hood and see if you have the separate security horn on the passenger strut tower, if it isn't there you don't have the alarm.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Mulder
Are you sure you have the factory alarm? Keyless entry is standard, the security option isn't. Open the hood and see if you have the separate security horn on the passenger strut tower, if it isn't there you don't have the alarm.
Once again you point out the obvious... that elduded me

jason
Old 02-10-2004, 07:10 AM
VIP Member

[tantrum deleted]

Last edited by meilers; 02-10-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Ok, I'm done here
Old 02-10-2004, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Sorry about that, I should know better than to post before I've had my morning caffiene
Old 02-10-2004, 09:15 PM
VIP Member

Apology accepted
Believe me, I wasn't being condescending by asking that question. There have been many instances of people who did not know whether they had the alarm or not, or thought they did but didn't.
Anyway, we've now ruled that out as your problem. There may indeed be something wrong with your alarm.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 AM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Originally posted by Mulder

Speaking of that ... if I want to install a front tower strut bar, (which I do) what do I do with the factory horn bracket that is attached to the passenger side tower? Can I still install the FTSB?

-Nigel

Quick Reply: HOW TO: add extra lights to the security blinker