Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HID conversion from halogen?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX Hatchback
HID conversion from halogen?

(posted this a couple hours ago in engine power by accident, so im just reposting...)

hey everyone, it's been a while but several months, a tail light tint job and a new computer later, i'm able to log back on. anyway, i was looking into the xenon bulbs/hid head lamps and i ran into conversion kits. in my '10 impreza obs, there are the halogen bulbs, so if i want to go to the xenon bulbs to i need to get one of these conversion kits so it'll work? here is one of the kits i saw (not necesarily looking at this particular one, just using it as an example)

http://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Light-Co...6518652&sr=1-8

also, can i get xenon bulbs without getting one of these HID conversion kits? any insight would be helpful. thanks a lot
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
The right way to do it is to swap out the projector housing for a HID housing. Most people who do this use TSX housings since they have the best cutoff and light spread.

The vast majority of people who have HIDs generally just stick the bulbs in their halogen housings and thus create a lot of glare and thus is not the most optimum form of lighting.

You can get a simple plug and play HID kit. Probably the best kit out there is the DDM Tuning kits. Lots of people use them, they are relatively cheap and very reliable. The key is to get the correct bulb sizes. For your headlights you will want a H11 bulb and I believe the fogs are 9005.

Furthermore, there is a plethora of information on this subject. If you do a little bit of research you will have no problem finding the information you are looking for.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM

thanks a lot

yeah i read about the glare they can have somewhere. ill check out that kit and probably end up upgrading relatively soon. thanks for the help i appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
My dream headlight kit is to replace my projectors with clear lens miramoto projectors with bi-xenon and the OEM hid ballast and bulbs for that BMW color with better visibilty and cut-off because of the clear lense on the projector. And.. the angle eye CCFL's. It costs around $400 for everything. I will do it someday.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
if you are going to run hid's in your halogen projectors please do the "squirrel finder mod". it requires baking and taking apart your headlights, but it seems to make a dramatic improvement in the upwards glare. i saw a thread on it but i dont have a link. i wish i did because my hid's are in the mail right now. but please not this is not as good as a proper retro fit, but it is a free fix to aid in not blinding others. but it is also kind of good, if you want to clear your headlights and/or black them out or make any other mods the front would already be off and ready
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM

thank you everyone!

thanks for the input/suggestions. did some more research and watched a video or 2 and its pretty straightforward. i think ill go with the brighter (around 5000k) and tint the headlights because ive been wanting to do that (my obs is black) but without compromising visibility. ill post some pics once i finally get around to it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Look into Lightwerkz if you want a professional retro fit job with S2000 or TSX projectors. I don't personally have stuff done by him, but I have seen his work first hand and it's second to none. He also has plug n play wire harness' and HID conversions.

Listen to Jordan, although the assembly may appear the same there are subtle differences with the reflectors within that project the HID light correctly.