Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Foglight's won't turn on in very cold weather...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 99 Silver Impreza
Foglight's won't turn on in very cold weather...

I installed a pair of smaller stock foglights in my 99 2.2L a week or so ago, and they work without any problems up until the other day, and again tonight.

I didn't solder any of the wires, just used electrical tape and twisted wires, so maybe that has something to do with my problem, anyway...

I used the Pepboys auxilary light switch with relay etc. full kit to set up the foglights. Came with fuse holder and all. I got it all wired up well and it worked just fine first try.

The first real cold morning I went out to my car and when I pushed the switch, they wouldn't turn on. I drove to work and decided to mess with it after.

Afterwards (it had gotten significantly warmer and sunny) my foglights worked fine again. Both lights wouldn't work before, now both were on just fine.

So I ignored it and thought it might have been a weird fluke.

Well tonight again it was really cold and snowing, and when I went out to my car, no foglights again.

I pushed the button in and nothing. When I go to turn it off again, I hear a slight static noise from my speakers.

So, what could possibly be causing this problem? I didn't think cold really could have this effect on it, but I'm almost certain it's the cold weather after it occuring twice.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 99 Silver Impreza
I plan on soldering soon as I can my iron and stuff at home this weekend. That should fix it I think, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

I'll see if that fixes it, thanks for responding.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
Sounds like a bad connection to me too, so be sure to check all of your connections and not just the wire-to-wire joins.

I maintain a boat as well. Solder joints have largely been abandoned for marine use because they are subject to corrosion and cracking, especially in the engine compartment. The best way to do a wire-to-wire connection on a boat is to put on a butt connector with a crimping tool. Heat shrink tubing is slipped on the wire before making the join, then heated with a heat gun or pocket propane torch (works great) to help waterproof the join. Some connectors can be found that have shrink tubing built-in.

Wire nuts should not be used with stranded wire in an environment that is subject to vibration (like your car). They can loosen up after a while.

The connectors are so fast and easy to use that I don't bother with soldering on the WRX.