Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Changing lights on 99

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Changing lights on 99

I tried posting it in the thread for wrx's on how to change the lights but got no reply, so I'll try making it its own thread to get an answer. I probably missed something and apologize ahead of time. I know you did this on the wrx. Now that thats out of the way, I have a couple questions. I figured the bulb sizes and stuff would be the same, and ordered the recommended bulbs. When doing it however, the 194's were too big for the HVAC, and the 74's shine out the top and therefore wouldn't light the fiber optics though the right size. Any ideas? Also the speedo stuff was very wierd. Firstly, I backlit the clock with blue, and it looks awesome!!! however, the rest didn't work, one of the bulbs i bought for the HVAC, the 194, fit into 1 spot perfectly. However the 74s were too small for the spots behind the speedo and tach, and don't produce a lot of light, making the gauges way to dark at night. The 194s however wouldn't even fit in the hole. Any ideas? Anyone know where I could by bulbs halfway between the two sizes, autoluminations only sells those two sizes (i think)? Any help would be aprreciated. Oh yea, I have a '99 OBS, so if anyone else has done it, what did you use. Or am I just crazy and missing something. Thank you
Old 05-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Hey
I PM'd you about what you did with the clock cause i am curious. First of all, i have 2003 wrx, so things may be different.
About the dash, for the speedo stuff, i used the opaque 74 sized leds and it looks pretty damm sweet. Plenty bright if turned up past half brightness. However, i had some trouble getting the bulbs to fit into the sockets...for this, i took a razor blade and shaved a little plastic off the lower part of the bulb. Also, the sockets that come out of the speedo become slightly too large in diameter with the new leds installed...so, l shaved a little bit of plastic off the socket. This was on the edge around the part that first needs to clear the holes in the speedo before the sockets will screw back in. Both of this shaving helped A LOT. Be careful, however, not to shave too much off the bulbs or their structural integrity will be compromised. The shaving on the sockets is more beneficial. For everything else i used condoms, it is not exactly the same color blue, but it looks pretty darn good. If you want to get back to me about the clock, or have any questions, please get back to me. Again, i hope this helps...i know you have a 99, so things might not be the same at all.
-Mike
Old 05-03-2004, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Ok, apparently the 99 and 03 are very different. For the clock, I simply replaced the backlight bulb (it was just like the rest except directly behind the clock) with a blue 74 (the small) led. It works great, but may be different in the other. Sorry about not responding to your pm, i didn't even kno I had one.

As far as the lights, the 74s (i believe they're the small ones) fit fine, but don't rpoduce much light, I don't know y, if its that thy're too small, too dim, focuzed, or that theres some fiber optics in my dash and they're above it (the rims pretty big) but they are insanely dull, I can't even see my needle, and can barely make out the numbers with brightness on full, and it perfectly dark. Any ideas? It is even more wierd becausse behind the gas/temp gauges, a 194 (the big one) fit, exactly the same size as the stock one, but still is very dim. The only thing that I can really think of is that on my car, the 99, the green film is thicker than on the newer ones, or that I did something totally wrong, like missed a step. Advice on solving this would be greatly appreciated

If there's a way to clarify the clock let me know, thanx, if you want I can probably take a picture tomoro or somethin, just let me know, good luck, and SOMEONE plz help me with my dash lighting.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Thanks for the clock info, pics would be cool if you have the time. Did you just get at the clock from underneath, above the stereo? Sorry i cant help more with the guages...it sounds really different. Only thing i can think of for brightness issues, besides a focused led problem, is a bulb malfunction that causes all the bulbs to be dimmer. If all of them light up, and if you tested each one, I dont know. Good luck.
-Mike
Old 05-05-2004, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

O, I get it, sorry, in the pre wrx cars, the clock is in the speedo cluster, so it was just like changing the rest of the lights. I'm sure you culd take out the clock, and it would be the same, but unfortunately I have no clue how you could try looking at instructions for removing the clock (like to put in gauges there) and once its removed, itl probably disasemble like the HVAC and stuff, then just replace the light, but I don't know this. Sorry for the confusion Good luck, let me kno if u succeed.

Still looking for someone whos changed lights on a pre-wrx, (the color, whether w/ led's or condoms) Help greatly appreciated
Old 05-06-2004, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

let me kno if it works for u. I mean where the light goes in, that hole, is too small for the big lights. and I'm not sure but I think the 74s (small ones) may may sit to high or be too focused. but to be honest I really have no idea, so good luck, if u find out nething Plz let me know. Or if urs work or even don't also plz let me know too. GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

i am ready to do anything to get the lights, including putting in 60 leds behind the stupid thing. could you give me the link to nasioc's forum where they put in a ton. At this point, I've given up on someone answering, so I think I'll do that but couldn't find it. THank you And GOOD LUCK
Old 05-07-2004, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

yea, the gauges look pretty awesome (although the red and yellow seem a little bright, thanx for the link + info, I think I might try although thats a lot of reading to wade through

Last edited by kravdra; 05-07-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

yea, I found some on ebay, and bought it. It looks ok, at night its better, but I think stock look w/ different colors looks better, also they cut the odo a little high so I couldn't read it until cut. I had that for a while then found the information on changing the lights in the sticky, and decided to go that way, but I guess I might have to go back to the reverseglow or do some custom leding, or something since nobody seems to be able to help.