Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Changed gauges on cluster... no speedo

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 03 yellow WRX stage 1
Changed gauges on cluster... no speedo

I had to get the needles off of my 03 cluster. Everything's looking great and works except for the speedometer. The check engine light was on but after a short drive and a few restarts its no longer on. The speedometer doesnt work still. I flicked the needle (while the car was running) and it just goes back to the spot over zero. I unplugged and replugged the three plugs in the back and everything is fine. My cruise control works but speedometer does not. What do I do next?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:36 AM

Sounds like it broken from what i've heard elsewhere. Would an apexi rsm be a good replacement for my speedometer. Seen some cheaper than a full gauge cluster plus gauges many other vitals.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
Are you sure you had the cluster on and neutral when you put the needles back on the same as when you took them off? You could have just misaligned it so that you would have to be at like 100 for it to move. Just a thought.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:53 PM

no i've gone about 100 since than. what should i do if that is the problem?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
Taking off the needles will f' up your gauges. It's probably something wrong with the alignment. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a problem that could you can fix. You might have to get a new gauge cluster.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in Red/blue
I pulled the needles of my 04' wrx and changed my dash colour to white like da legacy's. Turned car on and placed tacho needle at 800, set temp gauge but the speedo I just could'nt get right. It would feel good and floaty, but once you went for a roll, the needle would be sticky and sit about twenty km/h faster than your current speed. Ended up using my car computer setup with gps, which is very accurate with speed and location as previously tested. had a friend sit in the passenger seat and hold steering wheel, set cruise control at 50 km/h according to gps then placed needle back in. Took a few attempts, due to the odd bump in the road, but got it working like new. When you took the needle off, did it come off with the pin or just the needle itself? My tacho needle came off by itslef, but the speedo came off with the needle aswell, was heaps easier without the pin. Does your speedo move at all? Hope something here helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:19 PM

My speedo doesnt work at all. and came off like the others with the needle. everything else works great.
Would an apexi rsm be a good replacement for my speedometer. Seen some cheaper than a full gauge cluster plus gauges many other vitals.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 AM

Car Info: '00 Impreza Wagon
ok, I was having this problem, a reccomendation to anyone who wants to change their gauges, DONT, unless you want to be unsure of all your gauges, dont do it, just buy a new cluster..... but anyway to fix the current problem, on my car if you push it all the way in then pull it out just a little bit, so it barely kind of pops but it is still in there good, then it works fine, just even someone on the road, and hold your steering wheel with one hand and put it in at the speed they are going, do it with another subie going about 80, and it looks like your racing, it was fun for me, my buddy with a 2.5 made fun of me, but it works now.... never doing that again.....