Prosport: worth it or wait

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX limited
Prosport: worth it or wait

I'm looking into getting my interior complete with gauges for my subie but I am of course ballin on a budget. Now I keep hearing about hit or miss with prosport gauges and they are priced very cheap but some people say they are hit or miss on reliability, accuracy and if they even last. I know defi is quality but I can't justify paying so much for one gauge. So if possible for those with experience with both these gauges let me know how you like each one before I either spend 300 for 3 gauges or 700 for 3 gauges. All of your feedback is appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Total junk. They are inaccurate and fail VERY often. I only know of one Subaru owner personally who has a set and hasn't had to replace one yet. Everyone else has had to replace one of more gauge or the senders.

Do it right, do it once. Defi, Blitz, Greddy, or Omori.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Thanks man. Yeah I keep hearing that prosport had issues but for one defi gauge I could get almost all three! Yeah I'll just keep saving and do it right the first time.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Technical Know-It-All

You can opt for Defi Racer gauges, which are less expensive than their Link lines.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Well I was looking at the ones rallysport had. The red racer. Is there a cheaper alternative than that? Kinda like the fact that they match the stock color pattern
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Technical Know-It-All

If you're wanting red gauges, Defi Racers are probably the least expensive quality option. There are of course cheaper ones that are still good, but they won't match the stock cluster colors.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Total junk. They are inaccurate and fail VERY often. I only know of one Subaru owner personally who has a set and hasn't had to replace one yet. Everyone else has had to replace one of more gauge or the senders.

Do it right, do it once. Defi, Blitz, Greddy, or Omori.
Inaccurate is just completely not true; these are just as accurate as anything else out there. Have you personally measured them or have proof on a properly installed setup? The shop that installed mine said one of the big problems for any gauges is that people install the senders incorrectly and that will have a BIG influence on how they read.

I hear a lot of complaints about Prosport too, but I've had my boost for over 2 years now and zero issues. Oil for about a year now and also no issue. The only bad: the steppers are noisy.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM

Wow thanks for that feedback. What are steppers though?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by 04GG
Inaccurate is just completely not true; these are just as accurate as anything else out there. Have you personally measured them or have proof on a properly installed setup? The shop that installed mine said one of the big problems for any gauges is that people install the senders incorrectly and that will have a BIG influence on how they read.

I hear a lot of complaints about Prosport too, but I've had my boost for over 2 years now and zero issues. Oil for about a year now and also no issue. The only bad: the steppers are noisy.
I'm aware that installation plays a big part, however I also know of shops who refuse to sell them simply for the fact that an inaccurate gauge is a useless gauge. Even a Prosport employee ratted out the company on how poor the accuracy on their gauges are and how high the rate of returns have historically been.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
I'm aware that installation plays a big part, however I also know of shops who refuse to sell them simply for the fact that an inaccurate gauge is a useless gauge. Even a Prosport employee ratted out the company on how poor the accuracy on their gauges are and how high the rate of returns have historically been.
Source(s) other than you "read it somewhere"?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

That means their quality control sucks, it does not necessarily mean they have a bad product. ALL gauges are inaccurate to some degree, so saying one is inaccurate does not mean another one is somehow perfect. In most cases you don't need to see FINE increments for most of these readings, just the fact that something is or is not within the desired range and that range is usually larger than the inaccuracy of any gauge on the market. Reliability is an entirely different issue, but so far they seem to be doing fine.

Second hand info also isn't proof and it sounds like you are just on the bandwagon on this one.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Car Info: '11 GV WRX, '12 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, '19 Kawi Z400
I've had a Prosport Halo Series boost gauge for over a year now. So far so good. HOWEVER, I did notice that recently when I start the car the warning indicator will blink (guage still functions properly). I shut the car down and start back up and clears it ( I may need another power source/ check my wiring?)

That being said, I'm happy with it; but granted I had waited probably would have gone Defi, as that's what all my other Subie pals have and say nothing but good things.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by d3rock
I've had a Prosport Halo Series boost gauge for over a year now. So far so good.
I don't have any experience with their lower models either since I have Halos also.

HOWEVER, I did notice that recently when I start the car the warning indicator will blink (guage still functions properly). I shut the car down and start back up and clears it ( I may need another power source/ check my wiring?)
Have you set the level for the warning light or just left it where it is by default?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
Source(s) other than you "read it somewhere"?
The Truth about Prosport Gauges, Former Employee - NASIOC

Sorry, the shops were in person or random comments here and there.

Nice try on trying to dumb be as a forum bandwagon naysayer though.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
The Truth about Prosport Gauges, Former Employee - NASIOC

Sorry, the shops were in person or random comments here and there.

Nice try on trying to dumb be as a forum bandwagon naysayer though.
Eesh. Touchy. I just wanted to know where you got that information. God forbid anyone should be held :gasp: accountable for what they say.

Quick Reply: Prosport: worth it or wait