How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

What order should I install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX SportWagon
What order should I install?

Hey guys, got a couple questions...

I just finished installing the STI tranny mount... so happy!

anyway, I am about to do a clutch job on my 02 WRX wagon because it judders when cold. In the process I wanted to do some other modifications and figured why not save the time and just do them all at the same time.

the following are what i plan to do:

Clutch kit
STI motor mounts
Cobb Shifter bushings
STI Pitch Stopper
20mm Sedan Rear Sway Bar

my first question is what order do you guys/gals recommend I do these in? (obviously I can do the rear sway bar separately than the rest) The order I was thinking of was taking out the exhaust and tranny. At that time changing the motor mounts while using the other mount and the pitch stopper as support. After changing the mounts do the clutch and shifter bushings. After all that replace the pitch stopper then go to the rear and do the rear sway bar. Is this order a good idea or should I do the clutch and shifter bushing first then after everything reinstalled, do the motor mounts and pitch stopper?

another question I had was, with a vision of a very solid and slop free drivetrain, is there anything else that I could/should do while i'm down there changing things out? I remember reading somewhere on the forum that while the clutch is out I might as well change the rear main seal, is this a good idea? (my car has 36,000 miles)

any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have the full set of service manuals for my car plus all the DIYs posted here and on other subaru forms. I have a good amount of experience working on cars and after looking up all these installs I don't think i'll have to much trouble but would still appreciate recommendations and any help that could make this whole install easier.

oh, one more thing... during/after all this I am also finishing up my 30k service.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM

ANY help what so ever would be awesome. Even a "watch out for that one bolt... it's a pain"

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by Maoziyboy
Hey guys, got a couple questions...

I just finished installing the STI tranny mount... so happy!

anyway, I am about to do a clutch job on my 02 WRX wagon because it judders when cold. In the process I wanted to do some other modifications and figured why not save the time and just do them all at the same time.

the following are what i plan to do:

Clutch kit
STI motor mounts
Cobb Shifter bushings
STI Pitch Stopper
20mm Sedan Rear Sway Bar

my first question is what order do you guys/gals recommend I do these in? (obviously I can do the rear sway bar separately than the rest) The order I was thinking of was taking out the exhaust and tranny. At that time changing the motor mounts while using the other mount and the pitch stopper as support. After changing the mounts do the clutch and shifter bushings. After all that replace the pitch stopper then go to the rear and do the rear sway bar. Is this order a good idea or should I do the clutch and shifter bushing first then after everything reinstalled, do the motor mounts and pitch stopper?

another question I had was, with a vision of a very solid and slop free drivetrain, is there anything else that I could/should do while i'm down there changing things out? I remember reading somewhere on the forum that while the clutch is out I might as well change the rear main seal, is this a good idea? (my car has 36,000 miles)

any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have the full set of service manuals for my car plus all the DIYs posted here and on other subaru forms. I have a good amount of experience working on cars and after looking up all these installs I don't think i'll have to much trouble but would still appreciate recommendations and any help that could make this whole install easier.

oh, one more thing... during/after all this I am also finishing up my 30k service.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me!
I don't know what the Cobb shifter bushings are like, but I did my Kartboy and TiC ones with the tranny in place. Of course if you're taking it out anyway, your life will be much easier.

I would do the pitch mount along with the engine mounts. In fact, one step in the engine mount installation is to disconnect the pitch mount so the engine can raise up. So, remove the TMIC, disconnect the old pitch mount, install the engine mounts, install new pitch mount, reinstall TMIC.

The engine mounts are an absolute SOB. Very little room to work on the rearmost bolt/nut. Find yourself a very short, stubby wrench.

I've never replaced a clutch so I can't help you there.

Swaybar is super easy. Just makes sure you do the final torquing of the endlink bolts with the car on the ground (or ramps) - the suspension needs to be loaded up.

If you want to take all of the slop out of the drivetrain, consider the Whiteline subframe outrigger bushings and Whiteline differential bolts.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Egan

I would do the pitch mount along with the engine mounts. In fact, one step in the engine mount installation is to disconnect the pitch mount so the engine can raise up.

If you want to take all of the slop out of the drivetrain, consider the Whiteline subframe outrigger bushings and Whiteline differential bolts.

first off thank you for your input. at first I was thinking the same thing with the pitch mount, however in the engine mounts installation where you disconnect the pitch mount, the engine is still connected to the transmission which gives it support from that area. if the transmission is off and I take out the pitch stopper, wouldn't the engine learn either forward or back because they are only sitting on those two mounts and nothing else?

as for the whiteline parts. are talking about these two?

http://www.kastleskorner.com/product...roducts_id=782
http://www.kastleskorner.com/product...roducts_id=783

would adding the lock kit be a little to much for street driving?

How much slop will be reduced from adding the engine mounts?