How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

First Subie! Bone stock 02 wrx! What now??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM

First Subie! Bone stock 02 wrx! What now??

After a long and painful search, I found my baby! It's a 02 wrx, silver 5spd with 112k on the clock, but 30k on a new short block jdm motor( whatever that means) anyway, it has a cone air filter and a stage 2 clutch, where should I begin? I drive 80 miles a day to work and back, I just want a fast daily driver.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by dailycause
After a long and painful search, I found my baby! It's a 02 wrx, silver 5spd with 112k on the clock, but 30k on a new short block jdm motor( whatever that means) anyway, it has a cone air filter and a stage 2 clutch, where should I begin? I drive 80 miles a day to work and back, I just want a fast daily driver.

what kinda guy are you?

Aesthetics?
Handling?
Power?

i personally am i looks and handling guy at this point. depending on what you prefer more over the rest, im sure fellow member can point you in the right direction. i bought my 02 RS bone stock and have had waaay too much fun with look upgrades. LOL. goodluck with everything
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I would start with handling because your current parts are undoubtedly worn. Stock struts still?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
JDM motor? Thats something you should check ASAP. Look at the timing belt cover when you pop your hood. There should be a long number there. If it reads EJ207xxxxxx then you need to find out if everything was swapped right
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
wheels, suspension
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
FIRST, get familiar with what you have, drive around with the stereo off, listen to any odd noises. Figure out if the swap was done right and find out exactly what engine you have under your hood. Then once is said and done if you want power, get a downpipe or turbo back exhaust(downpipe + catback). If you want suspension, depending on the shape of your stock struts which may need replacing ASAP, get struts and springs for a fixed and well handling look, or coilovers for the luxury of dampening and height adjustability depending on the coilovers you get. And of course, you know what you can do as far as looks, winged, wingless, wheels, mudflaps, foglights, led bulbs, 04/05 tail swap which a good deal of people do, diffuser, lips, sideskirts, headlight swap(retro fit or jdm or aftermarket) and whatever else.. I think thats about it haha

Welcome to the forum, a lot of people on here are pretty damn intelligent and have helped me with a few things. Good luck with your car and I hope the problems dont start too fast since it saw some abuse in its lifetime lol
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by esousa22
FIRST, get familiar with what you have, drive around with the stereo off, listen to any odd noises. Figure out if the swap was done right and find out exactly what engine you have under your hood. Then once is said and done if you want power, get a downpipe or turbo back exhaust(downpipe + catback). If you want suspension, depending on the shape of your stock struts which may need replacing ASAP, get struts and springs for a fixed and well handling look, or coilovers for the luxury of dampening and height adjustability depending on the coilovers you get. And of course, you know what you can do as far as looks, winged, wingless, wheels, mudflaps, foglights, led bulbs, 04/05 tail swap which a good deal of people do, diffuser, lips, sideskirts, headlight swap(retro fit or jdm or aftermarket) and whatever else.. I think thats about it haha

Welcome to the forum, a lot of people on here are pretty damn intelligent and have helped me with a few things. Good luck with your car and I hope the problems dont start too fast since it saw some abuse in its lifetime lol
pretty much it. and he right. there a handful of people on here that will be more than happy to help you out with their experience or what not. im always learning via I-club.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I'd start by having a reputable shop take a look at the car to make SURE it is in good shape, or just start by doing normal maintenance. Don't start doing major mods until you are sure what you have is working correctly.

For me, suspension comes first
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by 02RS25
pretty much it. and he right. there a handful of people on here that will be more than happy to help you out with their experience or what not. im always learning via I-club.
I think I was the first guy on here to help you out, you couldn't loosen you strut bolts to put your coils on so I said get that PB blaster! haha was gonna drive over there and lend a hand with air tools but you got it handled
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM

I think I was the first guy on here to help you out, you couldn't loosen you strut bolts to put your coils on so I said get that PB blaster! haha was gonna drive over there and lend a hand with air tools but you got it handled
well god damn god damn. this is very tru. i was installing my megans. and had it not been for you, i would still be jumping on that damn breaker bar to this day. lol. PB is my buddy you learn many tricks of the trade and such on these boards. thanks again for saving me the pain and agony. lol. as a matter of fact, i currently have 1 half empty can and 2 in my storage shed so im never left without
Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Well the rear main seal let go outta nowhere yesterday... Overall it's in pretty good condition. Had a good aircraft mech buddy of mine go over it pretty closely. It has about 3k miles since the engine swap but I'm sure gonna keep a close eye on it. When I get her back from the shop, I'll check on that ser #. Thanks y'all
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza wrx sti
Quote:

Originally Posted by 02RS25

purple power that **** off haha

Posted from I-club.com App for Android