Visiting Honolulu. What's to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by snowflow
I'm gonna make a list and hit up all these places.

Anyone know about stuff to do outside the city? good jungle hikes? lol what about renting a moped or something.
You could read through this thread.

http://www.forumshawaii.com/index.ph...iking-on-oahu/

I would recommend the Kuliouou ridge and/or Mariner's ridge trails
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I'm gonna make a list and hit up all these places.

Anyone know about stuff to do outside the city? good jungle hikes? lol what about renting a moped or something.
A circle-island drive is a nice day trip. There are 2 routes. Route 1: Starting in Town, head east on H1 until it turns into the Kamehameha Highway, then follow your nose until you end up back on H1 again (much later). Highlights in order as they come (those marked with an asterisk are MUST-DO's!):
- Koko Head Crater (just check it out as your drive by)
* Hana'uma Bay -- coral reef snorkeling, probably best to spend at least half-a-day here if not the whole day, may want to save it for a different day than a circle-island drive.
* Sandy's -- when calm, a great swimming beach; when the surf's up, boogie boarders' paradise due to the unique break of the waves.
* Makapu'u -- Nice beach with a famous lighthouse nearby; great for surfers and swimmers alike.
- Waimanalo -- very local-style town, worth a drive through but no real need to stop unless you're hungry, and if that's the case, Keneke's is famous for its plate lunches.
Route 2: Bypasses all the above-mentioned places; good if you don't want to visit those places or if you want to save them for another day. Take the Pali Highway through the Pali Tunnel to Kalanianaole Highway. You'll reach a fork in the road. If you go straight, you'll end up in...
* Kailua -- Nice, laidback town famous for its beaches, Kailua Beach (great for swimmers, kayakers, and paddle surfers; Flat Island is nearby) and Lanikai Beach (absolutely gorgeous white-sand, blue-water beach adjacent to multi-million dollar homes, and where all the bikini calendars are shot haha). Also home to famed eateries Boots and Kimo's (macadamia nut pancakes), Times Coffee Shop (BEST fried rice on the planet), and Lanikai Juice (tasty acai bowls).
When you're done in Kailua, head back to the fork in the road and head north onto the Kamehameha Highway. From there, you can follow your nose and stop as you see fit.
- Windward Mall: Just a standard mall, good if you need any supplies for the road or want a bite to eat/cup of coffee.
* Byodo-In Temple: Just off Kam Hwy on Kahekili Hwy, it's a 2/3 scale replica of the famed Byodo-In Temple in Kyoto, Japan. The koi pond and temple bell are especially appealing.
* La'ie: Home of the Polynesian Cultural Center and the "Taj Mahal of the Pacific", the Mormon Temple of La'ie. The temple is a nice stop-and-photo opp, but the PCC is perhaps best experienced as its own day trip. Don't miss the dinner buffet and the night show, the best the PCC has to offer!
* Kahuku: World-famous shrimp! Don't miss the garlic shrimp at Giovanni's! There used to be i-Club decals on the side of the truck, although I dunno if they're still there haha!
- Turtle Bay Resort: Famed North Shore resort, just a little dated nowadays.
* Ted's Bakery: Chocolate Haupia Pie. Don't ask, just do it!
*'Ehukai, Pupukea, and Waimea Bay: A trio of fantastic beaches, great for swimming in the summer and known for monster waves in the winter. Don't miss a jump off the cliff at Waimea!
* Haleiwa: Nice little old timey surf town. Plenty of unique surf shops and home of Matsumoto Shave Ice, a local treat well-known to tourists and also famous for its T-shirts.
* Dole Plantation: Totally worth the stop for the pineapple soft-serve and the clean rest rooms. You can check out the gardens and gift shop while finishing up your soft cone, but there's no need to pay for the little train ride tour IMHO.
- Waikele Premium Outlets: If you wanna do some outlet shopping, this is the place!
- Pearlridge Mall: Super local mall, some might even call it ghetto but it ain't so bad IMHO. Kuru Kuru Sushi (economical kaiten zushi like Genki but tastier) and Zippy's Sushi (monster big neta on the nigiri, not to mention tasty cuts and real Japanese itamae from Japan haha) are nearby.
... And then back to Honolulu!

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
they got good meth lol, but the dog might get ya lol
Haole watches too much TV.
Dog is the biggest douchebag on the island and would already be dead in any other state besides Hawai'i. Visit Hawai'i before making lame assumptions like this, man.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
^^^Ryan pretty much got things covered down but if your fix is hiking, I can point you to another iclub member who's a hiking freeek.just lmk.btw, come meet some of the local I clubbers at our weekly meats
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Waimanalo is home to Waimanalo Beach and Bellows, 2 nice beaches worth checking out if the others don't interest ya!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
go to Zippys EVERYDAY.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by dub81
^^^Ryan pretty much got things covered down but if your fix is hiking, I can point you to another iclub member who's a hiking freeek.just lmk.btw, come meet some of the local I clubbers at our weekly meats
+1 He has been a big help. I would love to hit up a meet and meet some local members. I'll have plenty of free time when my friend is at work. i already am meeting with some WFC guys so it would be cool to hit up an iclub meet as well.

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Waimanalo is home to Waimanalo Beach and Bellows, 2 nice beaches worth checking out if the others don't interest ya!
Thanks a ton, Ryan. I'm taking all this down. I'm hoping to be able to do that day trip. Sounds like a good time. Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted by so steezy
go to Zippys EVERYDAY.
Tell me about it. lol
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

No prob, chief! Glad to be of service, and hope you have a ROCKIN' vacay!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 AM

Hey 808. What's good?

Pretty hungry...where in Waikiki can I get some good Japanese food, particularly good raw fish at a good price? Open to suggestion on other good places to eat.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Hey 808. What's good?

Pretty hungry...where in Waikiki can I get some good Japanese food, particularly good raw fish at a good price? Open to suggestion on other good places to eat.
Go to yanagi sushi or sushi king, good late night food
Old 06-24-2011, 05:54 AM

turns out i'm closer to waiks. It's a long shot, but is there any good cheap food here? hopefully some sushi.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 AM

turns out i'm closer to waiks. It's a long shot, but is there any good cheap food here? hopefully some sushi.
Try Sorabol, they're 24 hours and pretty good! Use Yelp or google to find some food places!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Dude, die lawn, he's in Waiks, he can't get to ANY of the places you suggested.

snowflow, pick up a free Kau Kau or Aloha Street magazine, look at the coupons and pick a place with a good deal. Happy hour at Chart House is pleasant, has Pacific Rim cuisine like seared ahi and the like. If you really wanna splurge, make a reservation for dinner at Hakone ASAP.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hakone-restaurant-honolulu

Last edited by Choku Dori; 06-24-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM

hmmm, I should post some pics...

+post ***** a lil
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Those places are close to Waikiki kinda. Haha
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Fresh fish? Two suggestions, hit Up taniokas in waipahu or hook up with a iclub Member who has a boat to go fishing .when will you arrive?

Quick Reply: Visiting Honolulu. What's to do?