Tantalus cruise tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Car Info: Mazda Miata 1991, STi 2005, 03WRX/98GC, 2.5RS 2000
Originally Posted by keonigt
Yes sir!

Anything that I think of that implies "spirited or pertains to spirited driving" will not even come close to touching the mere thought or reputation of I-club.

As some of you may know, I am very aware of racing at these cruises. We are the last ones to even think of racing. We know of the value of our cars and the consequences racing or any illegal activity brings. It is not wise to get caught or get into an accident because of illegal activities. I know I am young and all, but racing just flat out does not intrigue me, simply because of the physical and sentimental value of our car and because of the action of the law. Our car's value can even be called a deterrent to illegal activities, be it racing, drifting, drags. We would not want anything to happen to our babies, if personified as one.

I am happy to announce that the cruise last night at salt lake target to tantalus was very near, if not at civilian level/speed. We kept our speed limit at 55-60 and never past 61. Also, up tantalus was very, how do you say it, boring, or in other words, Safe. The drive up tantalus was mainly 5-15 mph speeds. I was leading the group and I did not want ANYONE to go at a high speed and have a chance for something bad to happen. I also wanted to keep VERY slow up tantalus because of the dangerous road, that is very hard to navigate at some points. I and the group that participated are glad that we were not involved in any of the illegal spirited driving going along at/near tantalus and needless to say, this subi cruise was mainly a chill point for about me, four other subies, a ms3, and a nissan pathfinder.

We did, however, see some cops on the freeway, but hey who doesn't? We also seen some people drinking beer while looking out into the view. I did not want to get into their mess and their crowd so we steered clear of them while trying to find a good spot to look at the view.

The group that participated in this cruise knew of the repercussions and the consequences of doing anything illegal while going to and up tantalus. We know that we have some power in our cars, and with this power comes great responsibility. We have to set an example for all the other drivers to either drive safe or get kicked off any cruise or club! We of course did not want any negative attention drawn towards the I-club 'Ohana and we kept our driving very safe and controlled. I would compare our driving to and up tantalus to a very careful and aware homeowner driving in tantalus (their own home).

Lastly, I am happy for the turnout for this cruise

It was nice to see people as young as...well as young as me, and some other people around 25-30, also thanks to the other people that showed up in non subies. It was a pleasure meeting you and sharing some information about our cars and life experiences.
Great Job Keoni,

Sounds like you had fun and good way to rep I-Club!

Avery
Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
i really dont understand how people get so **** about things like this. its pretty much the same as cruising else where and other crowds of people... even hanging around in parling lots. i understand the whole iclub cmunity thig but just because its a non iclub event doesnt mean its not gna be as "safe" as hanging around the iclub community. i say peeps needa just chill out iclub is a bomb community but no need to think any less of other events and what not.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 PM

Car Info: Legacy 2.5GT
Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
i really dont understand how people get so **** about things like this. its pretty much the same as cruising else where and other crowds of people... even hanging around in parling lots. i understand the whole iclub cmunity thig but just because its a non iclub event doesnt mean its not gna be as "safe" as hanging around the iclub community. i say peeps needa just chill out iclub is a bomb community but no need to think any less of other events and what not.
I see your point but I think you need to factor in the fact that different "crowds" will present different results. I used to work for Subaru waipahu as a tech. and got to meet alot of the iclub/hawaii guys. Hell, even subaru staff and these iclub guys were getting much respected in the community for doing alot, and I mean alot of charity for a car community and they werent even asked to do it. I believe they were one of the very first import based community to start this. Though the VW,porsche,Ford community were heavily involved in charity work during that time and still to this day.THey just did. That in my books deserve alot of credit and a well established identity in the eyes of Oahu, United Way and H.P.D. They even got noticed by local news stations.

Now the WRX or WRX STi models are being saturated more into the car scene due to easy financing by the younger generation, affordable prices. And we all know that if you have one of these cars, and "truly make use of the powerband provided" in a unsanctioned event resulting in people complaining about modded subaru's, wouldnt you think the first thing people point fingers too is the subaru community? Not trying to pick a fight with you but just purely explaining why iclub/hawaii is sensitive about how they don't want their image tarnished.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM

i understand that just the fact that some people get so tied up in being so 'sophisticated' it seems that they think just because its the 'younger' generation or a different crowd of people, they are gna go and do so much wrong doing. i can understand if people warn others about such things but when people talk down about these things doesnt make the iclub community look much better know what im saying. i say we all should just be humble to keep the reputation at max. idk.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Good points all around. No harm, no foul. Cruise on responsibly.

Aloha.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
the problem is that the "younger guys" haven't been around long enough to know any better. maybe it will take you a little longer to understand but when you do, you'll be the one telling people to stay away from certain types of events.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM

yeah true, maybe we should use the term 'immature' instead, just because im younger doesnt mean i dont know any better. i hang around other events because they all are car enthusiasts just like us and i dont see no wrong in that. racing and what not, thats peoples own choices, on or off the street. and just like you guys id prefer it to be off the streets.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 AM

maybe you guys should add the history of i-club to a sticky up top. =] that way us noobs will understand.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
yeah true, maybe we should use the term 'immature' instead, just because im younger doesnt mean i dont know any better. i hang around other events because they all are car enthusiasts just like us and i dont see no wrong in that. racing and what not, thats peoples own choices, on or off the street. and just like you guys id prefer it to be off the streets.
Have you ever heard of the term "Guilty by association"?

While you personally may have good intentions, and we're certainly not accusing YOU personally of any illicit activity, know that no matter what you say, the NEX meets have a reputation of attracting a certain type of crowd. And even if you and the rest of the iClub guys who go there only go to hang out or cruise, there's still a group of individuals who are there for more. Or maybe not anymore, but again, the reputation is there whether you like it or not.

I know this thread is about the Tantlus meetup, but I'm noticing the same guys posting up here as in the meetup for the NEX threads from before. Legitimate or not, the fact that you guys seem to go there regularly has lit up red flags in the eyes of certain members.

Again, I'm not saying we're accusing you guys of giving iClub a bad name through your actions. BUT, posting you intentions ON this board, which is open for anyone of the public to view, has automatically made a connection between iClub and the NEX meets, intentional or not. And this island is small, word get's around fast. People will now know that the "iClub guys" are at the NEX. And whether you're up to no good or not, iClub as a whole is automatically guilty by association. And at the same time with the Tantlus thing, what happens if just by pure coincidence a rouge Subaru was up there tearing it up at the same time you guys were there? Ignorant people are gonna put their own 2+2 together.

Is it fair? No, of course not. Can we force you to stop going or doing these events? No, of course not. But know that if you post about it here, ignorant people will automatically put it up as iClub on the whole. THAT'S what the senior membership is worried about.

How can you prevent this? Simple, like I said, it's a small island. Make friends, get numbers. Text each other. That's how I did it, went to the meets, made a bunch of friends, did a lot of things on our own. Leave iClub for the big events and official meets. Again, we're not saying you have to be prip and proper and not go out and have fun. BUT do remember that we're not the only ones who can view this forum, and that the island is so small. Word get's around whether you want it to or not.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM

youre definately right. i also see that you guys dont want these things to over run the iclub community. thats understandable because of the history and reputation of i-club. you know what. now i understand 04sleeper being right about being around long enough on iclub to see what you guys mean. sooo let my rant about this crap be over but id just like to add one more thing. old timers, not so rough on the new guys ah. lol
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM

old timers, not so rough on the new guys ah. lol
no can do, we like it rough
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 2013 DGM Subaru WRX Limited
Originally Posted by touge-n00b
Have you ever heard of the term "Guilty by association"?

While you personally may have good intentions, and we're certainly not accusing YOU personally of any illicit activity, know that no matter what you say, the NEX meets have a reputation of attracting a certain type of crowd. And even if you and the rest of the iClub guys who go there only go to hang out or cruise, there's still a group of individuals who are there for more. Or maybe not anymore, but again, the reputation is there whether you like it or not.

I know this thread is about the Tantlus meetup, but I'm noticing the same guys posting up here as in the meetup for the NEX threads from before. Legitimate or not, the fact that you guys seem to go there regularly has lit up red flags in the eyes of certain members.

Again, I'm not saying we're accusing you guys of giving iClub a bad name through your actions. BUT, posting you intentions ON this board, which is open for anyone of the public to view, has automatically made a connection between iClub and the NEX meets, intentional or not. And this island is small, word get's around fast. People will now know that the "iClub guys" are at the NEX. And whether you're up to no good or not, iClub as a whole is automatically guilty by association. And at the same time with the Tantlus thing, what happens if just by pure coincidence a rouge Subaru was up there tearing it up at the same time you guys were there? Ignorant people are gonna put their own 2+2 together.

Is it fair? No, of course not. Can we force you to stop going or doing these events? No, of course not. But know that if you post about it here, ignorant people will automatically put it up as iClub on the whole. THAT'S what the senior membership is worried about.

How can you prevent this? Simple, like I said, it's a small island. Make friends, get numbers. Text each other. That's how I did it, went to the meets, made a bunch of friends, did a lot of things on our own. Leave iClub for the big events and official meets. Again, we're not saying you have to be prip and proper and not go out and have fun. BUT do remember that we're not the only ones who can view this forum, and that the island is so small. Word get's around whether you want it to or not.
Guilty by association is an association fallacy, or in other words, an error in reasoning.

I'll continue on with this post when I'm finished with my math final exam for today.

You stay classy, Hawaii.
I'm Keonigt?

lol, I guess that line is funnier in the movies then said online...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by keonigt
Guilty by association is an association fallacy, or in other words, an error in reasoning.
Assuming that everyone is capable or inclined to reason in the first place is also an association fallacy no?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 1998 gc8 with 2006 wrx swap
howzit my subaru braddahs. i just got this gc8 straight from kaneohe and was wondering if any of you enthusiast can help me out. if you can then that would be awesome but if you guys cant then thats fine just help me out and point me to the right guy. anyways my suby wont start its a 1998 gc8 with a 2006 wrx swap. not quite sure whats wrong maybe someone could help out a fellow suby owner. thanks guys aloha. aloha!!!!!

Last edited by ryjess12; 02-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by ryjess12
howzit my subaru braddahs. i just got this gc8 straight from kaneohe and was wondering if any of you enthusiast can help me out. if you can then that would be awesome but if you guys cant then thats fine just help me out and point me to the right guy. anyways my suby wont start its a 1998 gc8 with a 2006 wrx swap. not quite sure whats wrong maybe someone could help out a fellow suby owner. thanks guys aloha. you guys can reach me at 808-636-4329 aloha!!!!!
Oh boy. You got it. It's RelaxTampax's old car. Idk what the issue is now. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tantalus cruise tonight!