Old 04-26-2003, 01:34 AM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by islandx
Okay.....Now I'm Fu*!'n jealous....
I agree, to me ->
Old 04-26-2003, 02:22 AM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
Went down, saw the silver with silver rims drive off. Ugh hum, a cop no less! Looked at the white with gold rims definately rocks. Richard Schumann took the black one to Wailae to show off before I could see it. (That one would've been mine if my wife didn't buy a car first) Dayammmm!!!! Congrats to all you lucky biznitches that got an STI. Yes I'm jealous as hell too. But what of this talk of not taking it to the track. Saying that makes me ill and reinforces in my mind you don't deserve to own one. If you're not gonna track it then get a Honda!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:13 AM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
I WANT ONE!

Someone please buy my car. I bought it in November with about 28k miles on the car and about 5k miles on the engine. I've only driven it for about 4k miles and it has a new trany with under 3k miles.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:12 AM

YOU LUCKY BAAAAASTARDS!!!

Hehehehe. Nah, just kidding. I'm very happy for all you guys. I can't wait to see how you guys perform at SCCA after break in!!!!

Larry WRX151
Old 04-26-2003, 04:58 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by DaveWRX
$31690 plus all the taxes, about $33,300 total.
Its so worth it!
Congrats on your purchase, Dave. The price is right. Now, aren't you glad you took my advice to rush down to the dealership on impulse and sign the papers immediately?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-26-2003, 08:34 AM

1st Impressions

Will try to post more as I drive more, but I pretty much agree with Dave's initial impressions. He was actually in the passenger seat when Jeff let me take mine it out for a test drive. If I wasn't sold before the test drive, I was after. (just like my first WRX test drive). Seemed like every 18 wheeler was on the road during that test drive too (throwing up rocks).

Okay, some additional observations (some already mentioned):
Keep in mind I have less then 100 miles so observations will change.

This car does not drive/feel like a WRX.. Hard to explain, but there are enough differences (power, suspension, steering, etc..) that it just feels different. I think Shiv make a similiar comment. I really need more wheel time to determine the good and bad about the above. I also need more aggressive wheel time which won't happen for another 1K miles.

It's been said, but low end power is awesome. Never once did I get the low end bog that I experience with my car (even modified with VS1).

Here is the part I thought I was prepared for, but perhaps not (since my current car is a sleeper). This car draws attention. Maybe that will wear off as people get used to the car. When I drove home from the dealer I had a G35 tail me for a while, then pull up and wave (anyone here?). Later when my wife and I went back to the dealer to pick up the Wagon a Van full of people (mostly kids) were waving and actually put there phone (with built in digital camera) out the window and took a picture.

Last comment for now is the hood scoop. It is HUGE. I feel like I need to check it for birds after every drive. If it weren't for the splitter I think a cat could crawl in and crash for the night. This is probably the only thing I don't like about the car. I wish it was smaller. Based on the size of the opening in the hood the stock WRX one will not fit.

For first mods, just as Dave said: alarm, tint(Gold or Black?), radio, boost gauge.

Off to driving school with... the Wagon.. As for comments on track use. Yes, I do plan to take it out for Solo II, hopefully for Test & Tune day, if not sooner. Would be a good day since I could take it easy and get a feel for how it handles. I'd also like to try the DCCD settings and feel the differences..

Anyone wanna buy a 2002 WRX Wagon? For Sale very soon!

Tim
Old 04-26-2003, 08:39 AM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Talking Tim

How about your Prodrives and can I buy your ecu w/ EcuTek + exchange with my ecu?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Rexstang
Went down, saw the silver with silver rims drive off. Ugh hum, a cop no less! Looked at the white with gold rims definately rocks. Richard Schumann took the black one to Wailae to show off before I could see it. (That one would've been mine if my wife didn't buy a car first) Dayammmm!!!! Congrats to all you lucky biznitches that got an STI. Yes I'm jealous as hell too. But what of this talk of not taking it to the track. Saying that makes me ill and reinforces in my mind you don't deserve to own one. If you're not gonna track it then get a Honda!
You definitely need to see the black and it will make you cry, its awesome.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to drag a car, auto-x will be fun and so will track days, but to each his own. I would like to see someone drag an STi, but it wont be me. All your modded rex's will ***** slap em anyways.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
Originally posted by DaveWRX
$31690 plus all the taxes, about $33,300 total.
Its so worth it!
Congrats on your purchase, Dave. The price is right. Now, aren't you glad you took my advice to rush down to the dealership on impulse and sign the papers immediately?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Amen! =) I spent about 7 hours at the dealer just lookin at them and fortunately eventhough they were shorted a blue/gold my deposit check was still on record and it was in very early. Phew. Otherwise I think only the silver/silver was still avail. It was sweet too tho, heck none of em arent.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by O4STi
DaveWRX....its time for a name change...u are now DaveSTi =)
Hmm, good idea, but I will lose my post count in the billions!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:03 AM

Re: 1st Impressions

Originally posted by mehlt
It's been said, but low end power is awesome. Never once did I get the low end bog that I experience with my car (even modified with VS1).

Here is the part I thought I was prepared for, but perhaps not (since my current car is a sleeper). This car draws attention. Maybe that will wear off as people get used to the car. When I drove home from the dealer I had a G35 tail me for a while, then pull up and wave (anyone here?). Later when my wife and I went back to the dealer to pick up the Wagon a Van full of people (mostly kids) were waving and actually put there phone (with built in digital camera) out the window and took a picture.

Last comment for now is the hood scoop. It is HUGE. I feel like I need to check it for birds after every drive. If it weren't for the splitter I think a cat could crawl in and crash for the night. This is probably the only thing I don't like about the car. I wish it was smaller. Based on the size of the opening in the hood the stock WRX one will not fit.

For first mods, just as Dave said: alarm, tint(Gold or Black?), radio, boost gauge.
Low-end power. Agreed, I was shifting low and it would pull no matter where it was. Absolutely no lag from anywhere. Amazing.

This thing definitely attracts people which has its downsides. I ended up driving to Manoa since a car with teenagers "seemed" to have followed me for awhile. Wasnt sure if they were gonna case where I lived or what, but I had people waving, gawking, asking questions on H1 the whole way home. And of course the guys in the imports peeking out the corners of their eyes, when I would look over they would quickly look away.

Curious if you had the same steering feelings I had tim. I took some agressive corners and it was a bit unsettling. Just need time to get used to it im sure. You can certainly throttle-steer nicely tho. Be interesting to see how they are at scca for sure.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Francis and I got to the dealership in Waipahu yesterday. The car looks just as it does in pictures...in real life, there is no hiding the way it looks. It's prettier than the 02-03's, but not as pretty as the old GC8 style. At this point, it doesn't matter...it accelerates so fast, the ugly comes right off and then has to catch up with the car.

Suspension is very stiff...almost equivalent to my car. There is little or no turbo lag upon acceleration, however, this is a little bit of (not much) lag when you are in higher gear at lower RPM's. With Chris in the car, we never took the car higher than 4000 RPM (where they had the shift light set to), but it hauls major ***. I mean, if you could imagine a 2.5 RS turboed, that's what it feels like. If any of you old school guys here had the pleasure to drive Bill Cook's RS when it was turboed, you'll know what I mean. It's absoluetly unbelieveable.

The hood scoop is huge, and I have no problem with the rear wing (guess why). You can't even notice the blue carpeting (which was a huge pet peeve in my book). The interior is otherwise WRX, which the difference in the gauge pack and the "semi- automatic" climate control (whatever the hell that is...they still haven't gotten the manuals yet). The seats are very similar to my AUS- WRX seats, however, the lower seat bolsters are quite high, but very supportive.

Driving the car yesterday made it that much harder to decide what to do. I am at the top of the list for the first silver/ silver for next month. Hopefully by then I will have decided...
Old 04-26-2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by o4wrxSTi
HOW BOUT SOME PICS?!?!
Tons of em in the thread I started. Took pics of all the STis at Waipahu.

Quick Reply: STi - first impression. DAYM!!!