State requiring sound Db check

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
its not the principal of the matter that bothers me. i know that its a noble reason, but the motive behind this bill- if passed all it gives law enforcement yet a little more ammo for writing out citations which in turn generates income for the STATE.
its kind of like recon... which i don't completely agree with.
i don't enjoy getting my underwear soiled everytime some dude in a harley with a cannon for an exaust passes by- and i definitely don't enjoy droning civics roaring pass my house at night. but IMHO, this bill/law is bogus, and if passed will be added to the list of experimental blunders that our lawmakers have made.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by gdogg
will be added to the list of experimental blunders that our lawmakers have made.
so what else is new? they've been screwing up for years...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 PM

Car Info: Beeg wheel wit V2 handbrake!
Originally Posted by luktang
...they've been screwing up for years...
...and keep getting re-elected by the people.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 13sec Wagon
not like those POBIAC mufflers (pissed off bumblebees in a can)
Couldn't have said it better my self.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Haha, geez these gripes are starting to sound Californian

So I guess if my car is legal in Cali, it'll be legal in Hawai'i too yeah?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
its not the principal of the matter that bothers me. i know that its a noble reason, but the motive behind this bill- if passed all it gives law enforcement yet a little more ammo for writing out citations which in turn generates income for the STATE.
its kind of like recon... which i don't completely agree with.
i don't enjoy getting my underwear soiled everytime some dude in a harley with a cannon for an exaust passes by- and i definitely don't enjoy droning civics roaring pass my house at night. but IMHO, this bill/law is bogus, and if passed will be added to the list of experimental blunders that our lawmakers have made.
To be honest I have to disagree with Greg here, (which is very seldom because I agree with Greg on most Issues) I don't think anyone has to worry about HPD strictly enforcing this if it passes. The amount of money it would take for HPD to get Decible meters is just not there, and to be honest I dont think it ever will be. (Although Stranger things have happened.) HPD is way way way over budget. They have more issues to worry about. They are trying to get money to issue the Taser to all the other districts beside Dist. 1 nights. Among other things. HPD need millions more $$$ to even "make ends meet" The City needs money for the friggin sewers. Greg is right that if this were strictly enforced the money would go to the state. City and County of Honolulu doesnt make any money off Moving violations, so it is not "cost effective" for HPD to enforce this law. Ultimately it comes down to the City Finance Comittee giving HPD the $$$. Many officers have tried to get decible meters for a long time, and (in police lingo) were met with negative results. So in my opinion, I would not worry too much about this even if it is passed. But who knows they may implement it into the recon inspection, then I guess just wait to put on the exhaust until you get your recon.

Dan

Last edited by gdogg; 02-25-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
The law as it stands now:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur...-0024_0005.htm
§291-24.5 Motor vehicle muffler.
(a) No person shall use on a public highway, sell, alter or install a muffler which will noticeably increase the noise emitted by a motor vehicle above that emitted by the vehicle as equipped from the factory.

(b) Any violation of this section shall constitute a violation and shall be enforceable by police officers. The fine for this violation shall be not less than $25 nor more than $250 for each separate offense. Any person who violates the provisions of this section may be issued a summons or citation for such violation. L 1977, c 79, §1
Like all wonderful Hawaii laws... it's completely vague and leaves it completely up to the office to decide... then it's up to you to disprove it in court if you want to contest the fine.

Last edited by MauiJammer; 02-24-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Car Info: vf-34'd ewg'd GDA AMS tuned!
why can't the cops just go after all the real law breakers ... exa. drug dealers , car theives , etc. & leave all the law abiding citizens alone ( esp. all of us who subaru ') . i hope they wake the hell and channel things into a more meaninglful outlet .
Old 02-25-2005, 07:41 PM

Car Info: 04 Aspen White WRX Wagon
Damn..this law is just like the cali law, but in cali the exhaust or after market exhaust can not be louder than 95db (which is not much). CHP or local police enforces this law. How the law is stated in hawaii, there is no db level which means anything louder than stock is illegal. That is messed up big time. This sucks also, and i hope they don't adopt this...emissions check!!!!!

California Law:
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment
Old 02-25-2005, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
thanks for the replies, especially by those who have shed more light on this subject...
Old 02-26-2005, 01:56 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Outside of being in waikiki and getting pulled over for your run of the mill fartcan, I don't see how this law will fly if it is put into effect. Seeing that I work in the same field as "hoppie" I know that patrol isnt going go out of it's way to pull every single fartcan over for a Db check. It will just be a waste of time, and IMO, will take away from REAL criminal activity.............not like the judicial system does anything to slow it down anyway.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:35 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Ugh. Maybe it's because we have a large car/population/land size ratio.

They feel its easy to make money off of carowners because of that. (j/k)

But damn .. choppers sound just as loud of not louder sometimes then most cars with mufflers. If this is passed, they should have to go through the same "tests" cars do. IIRC choppers don't even use mufflers at all, just that fatty hollow stainless pipe.

Still, i'm not blaming anything on choppers, yet just fustrated at the recent complications of owning a car with a few simple modifications that just increases the joy of driving your vehicle. Sheesh, at this rate, we'll also be forced to enforce emission laws sooner or later.

blah.