Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

WRX Stiff Clutch (does OEM offer a replacement setup requiring less pedal pressure?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Car Info: Silver 05 Wagon
Question WRX Stiff Clutch (does OEM offer a replacement setup requiring less pedal pressure?)

HI,
I used to own a 2002 WRX 5-speed Wagon and later traded it in for a 2005 RS Wagon (auto). One of the reasons for trading it in was that clutch was very stiff and after a few years gave my left knee a lot of pain, plus sitting in stop and go traffic was no fun and smoked up the clutch a bit. Did Subaru ever improve the clutch action so it wouldn't so stiff? I wouldn't mind buying another WRX since you can only find them as 5-speeds plus they are more fun to drive.

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Thats strangle, my 02 WRX sedan has always had a really loose clutch, even after I had it replaced 3K miles ago...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM

My clutch was pretty stiff and wasn't bad generally speaking until I had to drive 10 mile each way in stop and go traffic in DC. You need to give the clutch strong push and it would give your knee a workout. The dealer later said that other customers complained and Subaru was going to lighten the clutch to make it smoother. Not too sure about the truth on that. Anyhow, my wifes neck got stiff from the shifting.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The '02 WRX clutch might seem like it requires a lot of pedal pressure to operate, but it's not out of line with a vehicle with that sort of engine torque output. A WRX is always going to have a stiffer clutch than say an old Honda Civic or a Nissan Sentra, but my old Dodge turbo car (2.2 liter) had a stiffer clutch action than a WRX, and my old Camaro had a really hard clutch pedal using an aftermarket Borg & Beck-style clutch. I don't know if Subaru ever came up with a solution to the complaints, but you could always look into the aftermarket replacements and ask the vendors/manufacturers how the pedal pressure compares with OEM. Stay away from race-style clutches - stick with factory type diaphragm clutches. There are multiple disc clutches offered for some vehicles that require far less pedal pressure but they are usually advertised as race-only and are very costly. These utilize two or more clutch discs for increased frictional surface area to handle increased engine torque, rather than relying on additional spring tension built into the clutch pressure plate.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Yea I hear you about the stiff clutch problem. I have to sit in traffic too and it really makes my knee ache sometimes. it would be nice to have a nice aftermarket clutch that had ok pedal pressure.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX Impreza
I think all Subaru's have stiff clutchs'. When my friends test drove my wrx when I first got it they said it was stiff as hell. I don't even notice it anymore now, although, it does suck driving in traffic with a stiff clutch.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Car Info: 2007 wrx
On my 07 the clutch was pretty stiff. I just had it replaced with an ACT street modified clutch and now if feels like a civic clutch.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 AM

Well, I wish I had known about getting a lighter clutch installed 4 years ago. I still might have my WRX. Maybe on my next one.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
My 03 is pretty stiff, even stiffer now with the ACT clutch. I test drove the 08 STi, the clutch felt like a honda to me, but it could be because I'm so use to my clutch