September 3, 2017 Hawaii i-Club dub81 Subaru Summer Cruise

Old 07-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
September 3, 2017 Hawaii i-Club dub81 Subaru Summer Cruise

Aloha Hawaii i-Club. It's time to have a cruise to commemorate one of the best to do it, Mr. Walter Rivera. The 2017 dub81 i-Club Subaru Summer Cruise Will be happening on Sunday, September 3rd, 2017. It's a 3 day weekend, so timing is pretty good.

0900-1030 Meet at CORP (Central Oahu Regional Park). We usually park in the lot just in front of the tennis courts. This is a good time to meet the other members of Hawaii's Subaru Community and check out each others' builds.

1030-1045 Roll out. We will be heading right as we exit CORP and onto H-1 East where we will then drive single-file until we take the H-3 exit. We will stay on H-3 and take the Likelike exit and then reconnect on Kamehameha Hwy where we will hug the east coast line all the way until we arrive in Kahuku.

1130 (est) We will arrive in Kahuku Town and park in the parking lot for the Famous Kahuku Shrimp Truck. (Turn in when you see the bank and head to the left into the large lot). From there, we can either eat at the Famous Shrimp truck or Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. Either are great.

1300 (est) Or when we are finished eating/Photo session action, we will be rolling out continuing up the coastline until we reach Haleiwa Town. Here, we will be parking behind the First Hawaiian Bank and walk over to Matsumoto's Shave Ice (or any spot in that little shopping area). We usually would just take our shave ice, coffee, or whatever you've found back to our cars in the lot and cruise it.

Of course, there will be rules to abide by as this is a cruise.

1. Obey all traffic laws and posted speed limits. There is no reason to be pounding it on a Sunday. You know the route. Even if you fall behind, you know where we end up. No need to rush just to catch up. I will be leading at the front and will be driving at the speed limit. I will be asking two more people to hold up the middle and tail ends of the cruise just in case you want to someone to follow.

2. Be flexible to the other drivers on the road. While it is a badass sight to see a huge line of winged rally beasts rumbling along Oahu's public roads, we still need to respect the other motorists. If they need to merge, change lanes, take exits, etc. Please allow them to pass through our cruise. There is NO need to shut them out for the sake of maintaining a line.

3. Do NOT pull over just to wait for the rest of the cruise to catch up. I understand the want to keep everyone together, but unless there is some kind of emergency, carry along the posted route and agenda. A mass pull-over really disrupts public traffic and dramatically increases the likelihood of causing an accident. We know the routes and we will all end up at the same places. Let's do it safely.

4. Please be respectful of the towns we pass through. Yes, we love the ways our cars sound, but let's not get carried away and rev like punk kids when passing through towns. Save the harmonics for the H-3 tunnels.

5. Get to know each other. Since I've joined i-Club in 2004, I've met some great people and learned a great deal about our cars. You all can learn and experience some really great things by getting to know our community. Some may be timid at first, being the new guy/girl, but this is the perfect time to introduce yourselves. We were all that new guy/girl at one point. We're a great group and you'd be surprised how this network can benefit you.

To make things easier, please download the app ZELLO to your phones. It works like a walkie-talkie for all those who join the channel "Hawaii iclub" It really helps keep everyone on the same page and works very well. Thanks, Danny Chan for letting me know about this app. Good stuff.

I'd really like to maintain the image that our Subaru Community has. It took many years to build a good reputation within our community, including with local businesses and areas that allow us to congregate at their places. Let's not let a few hotheads ruin it with irresponsible driving and antics. We're better than that.

Let's enjoy ourselves and drive with Aloha.

--Josh
Old 07-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I'm there!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Crap...I'll be in Nebraska for Solo Nationals...
Old 09-04-2017, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 04sti
Pictures

Was good seeing everyone at the cruise and having a good time. Here are some pictures, enjoy!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm832yyc
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Awesome pics marko! Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Great coverage, Mark. Mahalos!