Scooby Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:59 PM

Car Info: cars
Scooby Newbie

i bought a 02 WRX a couple of months ago and found i-club while searching the net. it seems like all of you in the hawaii forum have done a lot of mods on your cars. i've been thinking of doing some mods to my car, starting with some suspension work. any suggestions where to begin? your help is appreciated.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Re: Scooby Newbie

Originally posted by WRXed
i bought a 02 WRX a couple of months ago and found i-club while searching the net. it seems like all of you in the hawaii forum have done a lot of mods on your cars. i've been thinking of doing some mods to my car, starting with some suspension work. any suggestions where to begin? your help is appreciated.
Welcome! Im absolutely no help, I just buy all the crap these guys talk about, but Im sure they will have suggestions.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:20 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Welcome!

I would start with tires followed by a rear sway bar and endlinks. The latter will reduce understeer and increase turn-in response.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by palaban
Welcome!

I would start with tires followed by a rear sway bar and endlinks. The latter will reduce understeer and increase turn-in response.
What rear sway bars and endlinks are people using? Cusco? Was messing with the car in a big lot and it needs suspension mods bad... I need to up the handling before upping the power. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by DaveWRX
What rear sway bars and endlinks are people using? Cusco? Was messing with the car in a big lot and it needs suspension mods bad... I need to up the handling before upping the power. Thanks.
It's not that it needs suspension mods. I think Russ has proved that. Don't you still have the 92's? If so, that would more than likely be your trouble.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
yes, .... the re92's have much suck. Pat is right Dave, you're probably experiencing the suck of the re92's.
Readily available sway bar options are Whiteline and Cusco.

WRXed, if you plan on keeping the stock rims on for a while, a new set of tires will make a world of difference in the way the car behaves. Where you should spend your money really depends on what you want to do with the car.
Some simple examples of mods that will make a good difference are a rear sway bar (might as well get the front too, I put them on at different times to 'feel' the difference), good tires, a manual boost controller (must at least get a boost gauge too), a turbo back exhaust, and maybe an intake (or just take off your silencer for free).
but like I said, it depends on how much money you have/want to spend, and what you want out of the car.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
You just heard it from THE MAN.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:37 AM

Car Info: cars
thanks for all the insight. i'll probably practice on the stock tires, then upgrade to better tires.

i have another question. what exactly do strut bars do?
Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by gpatmac
It's not that it needs suspension mods. I think Russ has proved that. Don't you still have the 92's? If so, that would more than likely be your trouble.
Yeah sure do, new plan is mounting some OK tires on the new wheels just for bling and then putting falkens on the stock rims for auto-x. Still want to do the bars tho, the lean is annoying. Want to do those first so I can fully see the suckage of the 92's. =)

Anyone have good vendor for cusco?

Edit: Oh and any suggestions for a shop for tires and mounting? I got the rims ordered without tires to save on shipping.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Nolimit
yes, .... the re92's have much suck. Pat is right Dave, you're probably experiencing the suck of the re92's.
Readily available sway bar options are Whiteline and Cusco.
Yep, will address the suckage soon. Looking for vendor for Cusco now.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:45 AM

Gruppe-S has the Cusco sway bars but shipping is a little steep.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
gruppe-s was where i was going for cusco's ... until i found some local Teins

edit: u jus beat me palaban :P

Last edited by WRX_FLIP; 03-11-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:51 AM

I like Gruppe and got my rims there and was just looking at all the other goodies they have. Damn. The list never ends. Looking at the 21mm front sway and 22mm rear adjustable. Anyoe running strutbars? Curious if any modifications are needed to mount.

Jeff how you like the Teins coilovers, did you also get springs? Looked at SpeedGear but nothing in stock as usual. I know I will eventually want em, but dont know which ones. Was looking at the Tein Flex, but what do I know...

God you guys were right about the shipping here, even little things. I was going to order a computer pci card and they wanted like $30 for shipping. hello? its like 2 ounces and the card is only $50. Damn.

Last edited by DaveWRX; 03-11-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:00 PM

Strutbar

The current model Impreza chasis is remarkably rigid. A rear strutbar would benefit wagon owners, but for sedan guys is pretty much just bling bling.

Quick Reply: Scooby Newbie