Saddam captured

Old 12-14-2003, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Saddam captured

With three words -- "We got him" –

Ambassador L. Paul Bremer III announced at a press briefing in Baghdad today that U.S. forces had captured Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein near his hometown of Tikrit.

Saddam was taken into custody at a small mud-walled compound outside the village of Adwar at 8:30 p.m. Dec. 13.

About 600 members of the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, along with special operations forces, launched Operation Red Dawn after receiving intelligence that Saddam was in the area, said Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of coalition forces in the country.

Bremer, the coalition administrator, said it was a "great day" in Iraq's history. "For decades, hundreds of thousands of you suffered at the hands of this cruel man," he said. "For decades, Saddam Hussein divided citizens against each other. For decades, he threatened and attacked your neighbors. Those days are over forever."
Old 12-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Yeah!

Great news.

I hope one day all despots and dictators will face the same fate.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Four letters W T L W (sorry I had to do it!)

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=41484
Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

This is one I figured would get posted over and over.

I just got excited and had to post.

When have I ever been firmly in 'this week'?
Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Old 12-14-2003, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
...and the free people of the world rejoiced, and hope was given to those who were not so free...

Makes me happy.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I think it sucks that he was captured alive.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
No it was good he was captured alive, it can give us valuble information about the resistances structure. Yeah Yeah Yeah! This ****ing made my day!
Old 12-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Originally posted by keirnna
No it was good he was captured alive, it can give us valuble information about the resistances structure. Yeah Yeah Yeah! This ****ing made my day!
uhh, ... I hardly think he is going to willingly give us any information that will actually 'do' anything for us. I think we should have a live televised Hanging, to show the world what we'll do to a terrorist.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
well lets see here...

good he's captured and all.... but what kinda sucks is that soldiers are still being sent there.... my uncle is headed over there this month.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

Bottom line, on tactical level (on the foot soldier/battalion level) it may have residual benefits. At first, I believe that it will stir up the hornet's nest.

Strategically (levels so high, it makes my head hurt) the benefits will be immediate. Even though for the last 8 months, he was at best only a force to be reckoned with on the periphery (because of the video and audio tapes he was releasing), he was a rallying force. The terrorists are a very decentralized force, meaning they know through their indoctrination training what objectives are worthwhile to strike, and which type of strikes are more powerful messages to send. (Capturing a living US soldier or civilian and televising their torture and death is a very powerful strike, bombing an Iraqi police station is less powerful. There are many techniques they can use and they scale the entire spectrum.)

Therefore, the foot 'terrorist' doesn't need meetings, nor a 1st line supervisor, nor a big cheese in command of him in order for him to be useful. He has the wherewithal to know what to strike and how to strike it.

All of the terrorists, though, have a central driving force, be it a central leader that provides direction and motivation, or a set of principles or tenets.

In this case, I think that Saddam is the one or one of two central figures that provides that motivation and direction to all of the terrorists. His capture, and subsequent appearances on television...hopefully for his trial by the UN; should hopefully devestate the terrorists' cause, or at least cripple their direction.

This is important because without at least direction, our Military Intelligence (I know, I know...) and our CIA should be able to better track the terrorists' patterns. This, I know, is wishful thinking because like I said before, he hasn't been much on providing them direction for the last 8 months, and it seems like they are still accomplishing a lot of what they want to accomplish. (Terrorists operations are meant to desyncronise our military and civil military efforts, to skew the allegiances of the common people of Iraq, ie. if they're pro-US, the terrorists want them to be anti-US, and finally, to just kill and destroy as many US soldiers and citizens, and their equipment.)

Phew